P-47D The Farmingdale Jug PT2: UPDATE 9/1/13: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Raf

Thanks for the compliments; greatly appreciated.

Wheel wells were first washed with warm soapy water and left to air dry, followed up with Tamiya Gray primer. Model Master YZC was thinned 1:1 with X-20A and shot at 20 PSI and left to dry for a bit. Then everything else was hand painted with either MM or Tamiya acrylics and a 000 or a 20 zero brush (my persona; favorite). All the chrome parts were hand painted with Tamiya X-11 Chrome Silver (hand paints great but the pigment is too thick and grainny when air brushing).

Washes where done with Winsor Newton Lamp Black oils. Dry Brushed a bit with dark gray and called it a day.

Nothing really special, just a few hours of hand painting and listening to either 50's or 60's tunes or the Yankees.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt

Guess you're right as the time is fast approaching to make the paint choices.

I finished the cowl last night, repainted the ignition harness and primed it with Tamiya gray primer. The red nose will be Model Master Acrylic Red and then Testor's Glosscoat; ready for decaling.

The fuselage:

Tamiya Gray Primer

Alclad Gloss Black base

Alclad II various buffing shades of aluminum

Alglad Gloss sealer

All pained panels with Model Master Acrylics

I still need to decide which final Alclad sealer will be used.

weathering and the final sealer.

Working on the wings later today, as I finally finished sanding and fitting the wheel wells into the fuselage between the wing spars.What a nasty job! :BANGHEAD2:

Peter

Thanks Matt

Guess you're right as the time is fast approaching to make the paint choices.

I finished the cowl last night, repainted the ignition harness and primed it with Tamiya gray primer. The red nose will be Model Master Acrylic Red and then Testor's Glosscoat; ready for decaling.

The fuselage:

Tamiya Gray Primer

Alclad Gloss Black base

Alclad II various buffing shades of aluminum

Alglad Gloss sealer

All pained panels with Model Master Acrylics

I still need to decide which final Alclad sealer will be used.

weathering and the final sealer.

Working on the wings later today, as I finally finished sanding and fitting the wheel wells into the fuselage between the wing spars.What a nasty job! :BANGHEAD2:

Peter

Thank you. Over the Alclad, you can pretty much use any top coat you want, or not even use one. You can use Future if you want a shiny coat, or any of the Testors top coats, they all work. The Alclad doesn't react badly to anything I've ever used on it.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Thanks for the info on the sealers. My only concern is I've heard some nasty things about most sealers and that they tend to really kill the aluminum shine and really dull things up. I'm looking for a slightly weather Jug, where the aluminum finish is still on the shinny side. With my luck, I'll pick the one that works the worst. I'm plaining on testing a few sealers to be on the safe side, since this is mu first time around the block with Alclad.

Peter

Matt

Thanks for the info on the sealers. My only concern is I've heard some nasty things about most sealers and that they tend to really kill the aluminum shine and really dull things up. I'm looking for a slightly weather Jug, where the aluminum finish is still on the shinny side. With my luck, I'll pick the one that works the worst. I'm plaining on testing a few sealers to be on the safe side, since this is mu first time around the block with Alclad.

Peter

Well Pete there's always the Alclad ALC-310 Klear Kote Gloss or the ALC-600 Aqua Gloss Clear.

They should work fine for what you want.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Howard

I'm planning on doing a little test and see what happens. All this is still pretty new to me.

Peter

Matt

Peter

Hey man. If you want to really seal it, but not kill the shine, try Model Master Semi-Gloss Clear Lacquer. Trust me on this one, it's what I used on the Tony. It leaves a shiny enough sheen on it, without it looking like a you or warbird. It's what works best for me, I'm going to use it on the Wildcat and Shooting Star as well.

If you have any questions, just let me know. I've done some work with the Alclad lately.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Thanks Howard

I'm planning on doing a little test and see what happens. All this is still pretty new to me.

Peter

Go for it, let me know how it goes.

If you need some of the ALC-600 Aqua Gloss Clear, I can give you one bottle as I have several I bought for my video review.

I can drive to your office on Tuesday (my day off).

Guest Peterpools

THE FARMINGDALE JUG

HASEGAWA P-47D ‘NOSE ART’

PT 8

GETTING THINGS TO FIT

Well, I thought the hard part was behind me for the wheel wells but as they say, stop the music! The wheel wells needed to fit smartly inside the wings, without bulging the upper and lower wing panels or else the wing will have a terrible step when joined to the fuselage. At the same time, the wheel wells need to sit smartly into a tightly into a pocket in the wing root and also sit in between the front and rear spars. The Aires wheel wells were too fat, too tall and too wide. If only they could spend a few months at weight Watchers. A few hours of sanding and test fitting and they were slim and trim and fit like a glove.

The phots shows how nicely and tightly the wheel wells now fit. Just lots of elbow grease.

DSC_0001C.jpg

DSC_0002D-1.jpg

DSC_0001D.jpg

I also decided to finish up the engine cowling as a separate assembly. I repainted the ignition harness, which was test of nerves and then cleaned up the four piece cowl assembly. Tamiya Gray Primer was next up, a touch up with Mr Surfacer 500. Tamiya Flat red was the base color, since I couldn’t find a bottle of Model Master Acrylic Flat Red. A few coats and after about 5 minutes of drying, I applied two healthy coast of Glosscote. My intention was to decal and finish off the cowling.

DSC_0006D.jpg

Naturally I got this far and then realized a white start needs to be added to the black anti glare panel, which I didn’t do. Out came the Tamiya tape and the anti glare panel was airbrushed on. Decaling will be another day.

The wings are just taped together and dry fitted. I’ll be following Ron’s advice about not gluing the inside rear portion of the wing, which will allow ne to align the top and bottoms wings at the fuselage fairing without causing a nasty step.

The cowl is just dry in place and as this is the safest place to keep it right now.

DSC_0003D.jpg

Enjoy

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Thanks old man! Much appreciated.

Missed it but will catch it as soon as I can. I've been a Yankee fan my entire life and pinstripes are in my blood.

Peter

Looks really great! That red sure is a vivid shade, but it looks cool. Are you going to do a clean plane, or one that's weathered? If you're weathering, maybe fade the red a little bit, in the centers of the panels?

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt

Thats really food for thought. I'm planning on doing some weathering but want my Jug to be on the very well maintained side. The red cowl really isn't that intense but with the gloss on it, it really shines. Might actually be close to stop light red at this point. I'll most likely follow your lead and tone it down a bit in he centers of the panels. :doh:

Peter