P-47D The Farmingdale Jug PT2: UPDATE 9/1/13: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

THE FARMINGDALE JUG
HASEGAWA P-47D ‘NOSE ART’

A few weeks ago I attended my first contest in nearly 30 years as a quest and I felt the competition juices beginning to flow, as I walked around the contest room. I was a founding member of the local IPMS chapter way back when and after seeing old and dear friends at the Replicon, I decided to re-enlist and see if I could once again be a successful contest builder. With next years Noreastcon about 10 months away, I knew I had to put all my current projects aside for a while and concentrate on building at least two contest models. First up would be tackling the Hasegawa Jug.
Knowing I’m still years behind the learning curve of where the hobby has gone and what my meager skills are, I decided to detail the Jug with a new cockpit, a new big P&W R2800, add some details to the wheel wells and then concentrate on a quality build. The Jug would be finished off in a NMF: Alclad and that would be it. I was already way over my head with my to do list, swimming in uncharted waters but you never know unless you try.
So here we go……………………...
Credit card in hand, I purchased the MDC cockpit detail kit, RB Productions seatbelt set RB-P32008 (G) and Vector P&W R-28000 engine kit. Just one word: WOW, the detail kits nearly blew me away.
Two weeks of work on the cockpit and it’s still not done but I have made progress. For starters, I read all the P-47 build threads, my search found on the LSP Forum, learned a lot and came across a very interesting conversation on WWII cockpit and interior colors. The Jug front office is Interior Green and following the formula given, I mixed my own Interior Green: 10 parts Zinc Chromate to 1 part Black.
Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction from the start guys .. much appreciative.
Thanks Harv for jogging my memory about the RB seat belt set.

The right side of the front office, with detail painted and a light oil wash of lamp black and burnt sienna for highlights. I lost track of how many hours I spent just getting to this stage but so far, I'm happy with the results.
Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Enjoy
Peter

DSC_0002B.jpg

The office taking shape with the left side done but on;u taped in place.

DSC_0007B.jpg

DSC_0008B.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

really nice work there mate! :speak_cool: I really like P-47s and hope to build one some day...I'm new to the world of aircraft building after too being away for a while so I know what you mean about the incredible leap forward in levels of detail with things like the vector engines...I've just built an R2800 for my corsair & would be happy to answer any questions about the vector kit - I know the instructions aren't great...I actually completely messed up my first attempt and had to get another..

as for competitions, I'm hoping to go to the IPMS UK nationals in november with my dad for the first time in 20 years, should be good! :coolio:

will keep checking in on this build for sure

rich

Guest Peterpools

Rich

Thanks for the kind words. will definitely be tapping you for info and suggestions when I get up to the engine build. It's funny, but as soon as the words contest and competition enter the conversation and build, the atmosphere really changes. Will you be entering the contest at the Nats?

Peter

WOW, great start! Looks really cool. Your attention to detail is paying off. I know the rest of the build will be the same quality. The engine will be another highlight. Very detailed, but you can add tons to it. This is my engine for my hanger queen Corsair.

100_0361.jpg

You will enjoy the build. I have 2 in the stash, and look forward to see what you can do......Harv :popcorn:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv

Good looking P&W. The detail on the engine kit is awesome. I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions. And thanks again for jogging my brain cells about the seatbelt set.

Peter

hi peter - yes I will, if I can get my build done in time!

harvey - a quick question if I may - where did you get the little P&W badge for your engine - is it available as a decal? I got some free decal sheets with the A&J Press reference books but can't remember offhand if the badge is on there....thanks

hi peter - yes I will, if I can get my build done in time!

harvey - a quick question if I may - where did you get the little P&W badge for your engine - is it available as a decal? I got some free decal sheets with the A&J Press reference books but can't remember offhand if the badge is on there....thanks

IIRC, it came with an EDUARD set, PE, not sure which set though.The engine was comp. about 11/2 yrs ago.........Harv :tumble:

Guest Peterpools

Rich

Good luck and I'm sure you'll make it.

Sure hope Harv has an answer on the P&W badge. Haven't thought that far yet. Thanks for pointing it out.

Peter

ah, one of those ready to go sets - gotcha.....looks good though!

peter - I took the liberty of using my favourite resource site, flickr.com and found you these:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=p+47&m=text

might take a while to trawl through the 20,000 images but hope it helps :closedeyes:

there's also some good restoration sites like this one:

http://www.alliedfighters.com/

this might help:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p47registry/p47registry.html

this is a very useful page of photos for a P-47N

http://www.petemuseum.org/P47RestorationPage.html

hope these help

cheers

rich

Looks great Peter!!!! That build is really cool, that cockpit looks pretty realistic. Can't wait to see more on this one, if the rest of the build is as good as the first parts you've done, I don't think you'll have any problems at a contest. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Nice start, Peter! I really like your cockpit :speak_cool:

If everything goes well, I hope to see it in person next year in Farmingdale. It gives this thread some extra flavor, don't you think? ;) . I'll keep rooting for you.

BTW, do you have any information if they're planing to have a paper model category as it happend this year on Noreastcon? Would be pretty cool :wicked: .

Edited by Tomek

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt.

It's been what seems like forever since I last entered a contest but it's time to give it a go and see what happens.

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Nothing has been posted yet as to the contest itself. I'll be calling a couple of the guys this week and I'll find out for you.

How far are you from Farmingdale? I live out on the Island.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I've seen a flyer for the 2012 convention, but it was pretty general. I guess it's still too early. They had paper models in Schoharie this year, so I was hoping same may happen here. I live in Brooklyn :innocent: .