1:32 Dragon Bf110 D/E 3C + AR

Ralph Riese

Dragon's 32nd scale Bf110 D/E using Miracle Paint Masks masks. Open style crosses chosen as the appear to be a better match to those seen in pics of 3C + AR in Classic's "Luftwaffe night fighter units 1939-1943" (p67), than those provided on the kit decal sheet. Extra rivets courtesy of RB Productions Rivet-R tool (0.75mm wheel). Tamiya acrylics...

8-35.jpg

7-44.jpg

6-60.jpg

5-63.jpg

4-63.jpg

3-65.jpg

2-67.jpg

1-67.jpg

Apologies to those who might have already seen it over on Hyperscale. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Still searching for words to describe my enthusiasm (especially difficult for I have to do so in English...).

Ralph, the first pics made me admire you having solved a big problem: giving a flat black surface some life! And you managed to do simply gorgeous! :goodjob:

Then I have seen your "in progress" shots, and I am flabbergasted! Gentlemen, we have a winner here!

Please tell me about you way to do such an artistic play of colours! And, of course, more pictures, please!

Thomas

Fantastic painting Ralph, great to see it over here - I've been following it on Hyper. If you're going to model the aircraft with the solid spinner, have you thought about posting a request for those with unused ones from the Bf 109E kit?

Edited by Kagemusha

Hi Ralph did not notice your build post here on LSP.

Fantastic work I was following your work on Hyperscale really sharp the paint job specially the mask very nice the landing gear.

My nex BF110 will get some more rivets to looks so much beter.

Johan

Hello Gentlemen: firstly many thanks for your kind words - much appreciated. And secondly, some info...

The model was base-coated with a 50:25:25 mix of Tamiya acrylic X-1 Gloss Black; XF-8 Flat Blue, and XF-63 German Grey; then post-shaded with 50:25:25 X-1, XF-8 and XF-13 JA Green. Exhaust areas and inboard wing "squiggles" were added with post-shade mix plus afew drops each of XF-19 Sky Grey and XF-22 RLM Grey. Exhausts and more inboard wing squiggles with XF-52 Flat Earth. The insignia "white" was a 90:10 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and XF-19 Sky Grey; then mottled with a 70:30 mix of XF-2 and XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan. Can't really see it in the pics as the camera really struggles with the high contrast. The "RLM77" was mixed without access to a colour chip. It is generally described as a "pale grey" so I tried a 20:50:20:20 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White:XF-19 Sky Grey:XF-54 Dark Sea Grey and XF-65 Field Grey. I tried to adjust for spraying it over the black, so it looked much paler in the mixing jar.

Many thanks for the "surplus to needs" Bf109E capped spinners idea - hadn't though of it, so will try a "Looking for..." post.

Cheers, Ralph.

Hello Gentlemen: firstly many thanks for your kind words - much appreciated. And secondly, some info...

The model was base-coated with a 50:25:25 mix of Tamiya acrylic X-1 Gloss Black; XF-8 Flat Blue, and XF-63 German Grey; then post-shaded with 50:25:25 X-1, XF-8 and XF-13 JA Green. Exhaust areas and inboard wing "squiggles" were added with post-shade mix plus afew drops each of XF-19 Sky Grey and XF-22 RLM Grey. Exhausts and more inboard wing squiggles with XF-52 Flat Earth. The insignia "white" was a 90:10 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and XF-19 Sky Grey; then mottled with a 70:30 mix of XF-2 and XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan. Can't really see it in the pics as the camera really struggles with the high contrast. The "RLM77" was mixed without access to a colour chip. It is generally described as a "pale grey" so I tried a 20:50:20:20 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White:XF-19 Sky Grey:XF-54 Dark Sea Grey and XF-65 Field Grey. I tried to adjust for spraying it over the black, so it looked much paler in the mixing jar.

Many thanks for the "surplus to needs" Bf109E capped spinners idea - hadn't though of it, so will try a "Looking for..." post.

Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph. Thanks for the insight on your painting. Two questions though, what airbrush do you use, and where do you have access to the Tamiya paint? Here in California, it's almost impossible to find any of it, and yet you have all of these colors. Do you have a secret supplier? :ph34r:

Anyway, keep up the amazing work, can't wait to see more.

Matt :goodjob:

Hi Ralph. Thanks for the insight on your painting. Two questions though, what airbrush do you use, and where do you have access to the Tamiya paint? Here in California, it's almost impossible to find any of it, and yet you have all of these colors. Do you have a secret supplier? :ph34r:

Anyway, keep up the amazing work, can't wait to see more.

Matt :goodjob:

If I'm not mistaken, Ralph's based in Queensland, Australia. Tamiya paints are plentiful down here. Can't seem to find any Extra Thin Cement though...

Kev