ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

fozzy

Good afternoon Gentlemen

Well it is here in S.E.Bulgaria !!...and its blazing hot !:(

I havn't been around for a while as I was on the other channel (Brit Modeller) trying to finish one of the most boring models I have ever made! the Hasegawa F-14D...one great lump of plastic with decals on!!.....I hope I havn't offended any of you Catters out there!!!...I just thought I would have a go at a fast jet for once but I'm afraid I just didn't have my heart in it and was longing to get back to my usual scratch building...but I prevailed and managed to get it done in the end!!

So now I decided to have a go at scratch building this 1:20 scale S.E.5.a.....I always liked the look of this WW1 Fighter and I started to look out for some scale plans on the Internet.

I found some free ones in the "Peanut Scale" and enlarged them to 1: 20 scale (a scale I like scratch building in).The Peanut Scale plans were popular in the 70s and 80s and were designed for rubber band powered models with a Wing Span of no more than 13 inches.I made a Sopwith Camel using the Peanut scale plans last year and found them easy and straight forward to work with.

Here is a photo of the plans...........

se5amaterials001.jpg

se5amaterials002.jpg

As you can see they are simple enough even though you might want to change the design of the Prop!!!:o

So as usual I have set myself some ground rules................

1. Use cheap Materials (a neccessity here in Bulgaria....no decent shops to buy any thing worth while!!!)

2. I f I can ...use the contents of the kitchen trash bin!!!

3. Keep a good sense of humour and never give up ,especially when things are going T### up!!!

I have most of the Materials at hand I am going to use ....starting with the most expensive ....Balsa wood/Hard wood that I got in the UK.......

se5amaterials003.jpg

The Fuselage and Wing structure will be built out of the wood.

The Model will be covered with tissue and card...........

se5amaterials006.jpg

se5amaterials007.jpg

.....other materials I will be using will be plastic card and scraps.........

se5amaterials004.jpg

....and my faithfull tin of scrap wire!!!

se5amaterials005.jpg

What I hope to achieve with this project is to display it with the Cowling off to show the 200hp Hispano-Suiza 8b v8 Engine....which of course I will have to fabricate some how !!....I hope thats not a bridge too far so to speak!!!

All this of course will take time and I fear that this thread might go on for a bit....but I will cut it short if no ones watching it!!!!!

I started this project yesterday and have done a weeny bit which I'll show after I have jumped in the garden Shower as its bloody hot at the moment !;)

Cheers

Fozzy

I'll be definitely watching. Your materials, tissue and card, are not the only reason for my interest of course. I'm expecting a really fun ride. Bring it on, Martin! :coolio:

So I have cooled down a bit!!!!

I started by clearing the decks on the work bench and pinning the plans covered with tracing paper onto an old cork board..................

se5aplans001.jpg

After studying photos and books for a while I started cutting strips out of Hard wood which will be put together to make up the Fuselarge frame work.............

se5aplans003.jpg

I have to say that this is the part that I get really nervous at because you have to be so precise else the finished artical will look nothing like the S.E.5.a.:( .......I started to pin the strips onto the plans ...................

se5aplans005.jpg

untill I cut the rest of the parts that will make up the Fuselage I havn't glued the wood together ...a kind of dry run if you will!!

The Formers on the plan were then cut out and glued onto card to act as templates that I can draw around later.........

se5aplans006.jpg

Here now is a photo of the progress of the frame work.....dosn't look much does it?...this first part is always slow but as I said before you don't want to make any mistakes at this stage!!!

se5aplans007.jpg

I have also to date cut and sanded down the Formers for the Fuselage.....what a pain that was ...there were only 5 but it took me 4 hours to complete!!! because I kept snapping them in half whilst sanding!:angry2: ................

se5aplans.jpg

Well thats as far as I have got with it all so far.The biggest pain is that I have to repeat the frame work for the other side!!!

Next update I hope to have the Formers in place and then maybe it will start looking like something!!!!

Thanks for looking in........

I'll be definitely watching. Your materials, tissue and card, are not the only reason for my interest of course. I'm expecting a really fun ride. Bring it on, Martin! :coolio:

Howdy there Pal!! Hows it going?....lets hope that it is fun eh?

wow, this is going to be pretty hard core stuff

no matter how good i might ever get at making models, i don't think i will ever have the confidence or the ability to just work from a few lines on some plans and just, well, make stuff!

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Howdy there Pal!! Hows it going?....lets hope that it is fun eh?

I'm still grinding through my first WIP here :rolleyes:. I'm positive this thread will be very enjoyable!

Just a thought. If you having problems with formers made of wood, you could consider cutting them out of cardboard and then coating them with CA (layers can be build up for desired thickness). Cardboard drinks CA beautifully and gets hard as rock. It can be sanded for precision and I can guarantee you it won't snap. That would be definitely along your philosophy to scratch build using the content of the kitchen trash bin ;) .

I'm still grinding through my first WIP here :rolleyes:. I'm positive this thread will be very enjoyable!

Just a thought. If you having problems with formers made of wood, you could consider cutting them out of cardboard and then coating them with CA (layers can be build up for desired thickness). Cardboard drinks CA beautifully and gets hard as rock. It can be sanded for precision and I can guarantee you it won't snap. That would be definitely along your philosophy to scratch build using the content of the kitchen trash bin ;) .

Tomek ...what a brilliant idea!..any more problems that I get with pesky wood I will be trying that method out for sure...cheers mate!!!

Cheers also to Nmayhew and MARU5137

Edited by fozzy

Just one more thing, if I may.

From my own experience I would recommend using adhesive such as contact cement or similar to laminate the former templates on cardboard. Water based glue (for example white glue) has tendency to curl paper (even cardboard to some degree) and may stretch the template. If not possible I would advise at least some caution - it's worth to check if the dimensions are OK after lamination. CA and paper pose no similar issues.

Anyway I'll keep fingers crossed, whichever material you will use.

:popcorn:

Edited by Tomek

Once again.... thanks Tomek....if I have problems with the Formers tomorrow I might just try your idea!;) ....by the way I must just say that your Paper Models are just brilliant!, 1 month ago I tried a paper card model of a Westland Wyvern and found it really hard...although I havn't given up yet I will go back to it after this build and maybe pick your brains!!

Hello again Phil!....nice to hear from you again....yep..."Happy days are here again"...well until something goes wrong with this Project!!!

Edited by fozzy

This brings back many memories of my 'stick and tissue' days.....lots of fun and frustration ! This should be fun and I'm really interested in seeing how you go about the engine. Build on and good luck !

Vaughn

Hey Martin, glad to see you back, and what an ambitious return! I've no doubt this will be a fantastic thread to follow.

Kev

Hi there Kev............yes its good to be back,I have been over on Brit Modeller doing a WIP on a smaller A/C!!!....and your right...as usual,its going to be a long thread!!!

This brings back many memories of my 'stick and tissue' days.....lots of fun and frustration ! This should be fun and I'm really interested in seeing how you go about the engine. Build on and good luck !

Vaughn

Thanks for that Vaughn........of course you are right about the "fun and frustration"....but thats scratch building!!

Thanks for that Vaughn........of course you are right about the "fun and frustration"....but thats scratch building!!

Don't I know it ! :BANGHEAD2: ...but it is the only way to do some things. For me the thin wood is far too delicate, prone to splitting/ cracking. I find styrene far more forgiving and less likely to crushing too. I'm very interested in seeing what you can do..this could start a whole new forum here..'garbage bin builds' ! :lol:

Vaughn