How to fix plastic melting?

On putting to gether my PCM Fw 190A3 i got a bad case of "Tail Melt" when i was letting the first coat of undercoat dry inder a warmish light - i didnt realize how warm that light was!!

here are some piccies for you all to have a chuckle at

PIC_0529.jpg

PIC_0530.jpg

PIC_0531.jpg

I am not wothout help though - i WILL try the hot water method and get back to you all on the outcome - any other ideas???

ADs

Edited by Ads

I feel your pain. I held the main turret component of a 1/25 Tamiya Centurion up too high and too close to a halogen bulb while I was working on the other end. I had to scratchbuild the entire section, including the add on parts. Hot water will help with alignment, but you will have some carving to do to get it back into shape.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mark

I do not have to tell you this, obviously, but you have to be very careful to keep thin wall styrene away from heat.

I learned that at another's expense back in the early 1960's when I saw a Revell Battleship Missouri kit that was assembled, carefully painted and placed proudly in the hobby shop window. Unfortunately, the window faced the sun during the hottest part of the day and there was no protective tinted clear plastic inner window. So the silly thing just curled up into a snake, with 16 inch guns pointing every which way, because of the heat from the sun.

So I learned my lesson from the hobby shop owner's error.

I'm sorry that you had to learn it the hard way.

By the same token, when storing kits keep them away from sources of heat!!! I have seen guys storing their kits atop steam radiators, next to hot air ducts, up against a sunlit window, etc.

I have heard guys bitterly complaining how their vacuform kits do not fit together because they were warped. Then when I ask where were they were stored, and, well, there is the reason. Vacuform kits have very thin walls, do not store them next to a heat source of any type.

Stephen

YIKES!!!

I cant put any laughing or LOL type smiley faces here however....................as I know your pain ALL TOO well Ads...........

Had my P-51 resting comfortably near (but not VERY near) a space heater........and unbeknownst to me, while it was masked up for painting, and drying, it fell down and came to rest with her tail right near the heater. Needless to say I ended up with a HUGE mess:

WIP_DB_32.jpg

TRIED to fix the melted part and ended up with a LARGER mess...............

WIP_DB_33.jpg

Had no choice but to cut the entire tail section off..................................Only 1 fix on this that I could see, and its the one I implemented. Got a doner Has P-51, hacked the tail completely off way forward of where I needed to be, squared things off on a REAL flat surface, put in some plastistructs internal braces to keep things straight and aligned and Frankensteined the whole thing together. You can see in the last pic the difference in color between the two kits.

WIP_DB_61.jpg

WIP_DB_63.jpg

WIP_DB_62.jpg

WIP_DB_76.jpg

The fit ended up being not too bad at all if I do say so myself. In the end you would be hard pressed to ever know it was a wholly different tail off of an entirely different kit.

HTH,

Cheers,

Brian

We could probably do an ongoing thread regarding disasters. Not too long ago, I was trying to quickly force cure some modelling clay. Item was placed and sculpted on a 12x12 mirror, heat applied with my heat gun (on high setting), and mirror shattered into a hundred pieces. As to a fix for your boo boo, that's what putty is good for.

Hot water therapy is working well!!:doh:

I have got it 90% there using BOILING water - but you guys iknow 90% isnt enuff!! :-)

Ill keep you posted when i SUCEED!!

Ads

oh man!

This reminded me of that 'superdiorama' called 'legacies' (bob letterman?) - anyway it was about 5 square feet & I recall Verlinden productions moved premises years ago - the removal guys left the entire thing in blazing sunshine for hours & it melted! :BANGHEAD2:

anyhoo, I think you should be OK using the hot water retrieval method and a tonne of milliput - good luck!@

SUCCESS!

after a lot of bending and sanding then filling with superflue the tail has turned - pardon the pun!

"Flipper" has gone - thanks to all of you guys who gave the neccisary moral support - ll put the build up this week

ADs :party0023:

PIC_0529.jpg and after ! AfterMelting2.jpg

a bit hacked but ready for undercoat again - then another sand and a good look and no doubt another sand before its "ready" if there is such a word!

Ill have to fix the cracked seams as well but a small pice to pay for something that is now nearer to my heart cos i fixed it!

AfterMelting1.jpg

Thanks guys -0 this is how to officially fix bent plastic - thanks for coming

Ads

Edited by Ads