Most Wanted Poll / Wish List 2022 (and beyond)

LSP Dan

Being new here, I've been reading over this topic...very interesting, I know it is a bit out of date, but has anyone distilled this information down yet ? Eliminating things that have ben released and putting the tallies up for the rest ? Just curious....

Joe

Okay, so it's been a year since Joe66 posted this, but I was just wondering the same thing. In fact, I was sitting here thinking to myself, "What subject would make me drop everything I was doing and clear off the bench to build it?". I was curious to see what other people thought and if there was enough interest out there for such a kit to even be a possible contender (By the way, I basically came up with the answer for myself, as being "any twin engine WW2 Japanese bomber", but the Betty would be on top of the list and I have to admit that a Kate, Val, Jill, or Judy would be high up there, as well). So, when I saw the post above, I decided to go through and try to weigh some of the numbers to get a feel for what people are really begging for.

The first thing I noticed, is that since this thread started, there's actually been quite a few of our "most wanted" kits put into plastic and quite a few others as resin/multimedia kits, as well. So, I think that manufacturers ARE listening. No doubt about it. In fact (and here's where I'm going to interject my disclaimer), there have been so many kitted in the area of WW1 and cold war/modern jets that I'm not even sure what has all been covered. My disclaimer being that I'm mostly into WW2 stuff, so it's hard for me to go through 12 pages of information and to know exactly which kits have been released in every genre outlined. So, if it seems like I'm skipping a lot of the stuff in WW1, cold war, modern and/or helicopters, it's not because of any bias, but stems more from my own ignorance. Furthermore, that's not to say that the WW2 buffs among us were shafted by comparison. Quite the opposite, actually.

I basically broke the categories down into a few that I could more easily scan through the pages and jot down some numbers. It's not a perfect count of every subject, or even the most popular subjects. However, by the time I hit page 7, there were some very clear winners. I tried to leave out anything that I knew had already been done in a recent tooling, with a couple of exceptions (some limited run kits that are hard/expensive to find and people are still clamoring for more "mainstream" offerings of those subjects). There may be kits out there now that I wasn't aware of, only because of my ignorance to the genre.

WW1:

Here's where I don't know enough to keep track of what's available. What I do know, is that it's a LOT. WnW, Roden and a few others have really jumped on this genre. Who would have guessed, ten years ago (even FIVE years ago) that there would be so many choices out there? And, I mean, a 1/32 Gotha and Felixstowe (for just two examples)? Really? Not in my wildest dreams!

Between Wars:

There seems to be interest here and a lot of the subjects are being picked up by companies like Silver Wings, Lukgraph, etc. Most in resin form. Some of the types with several mentions are the Dragon Rapide, Lockheed Electra, Curtiss Jenny and P-6E. Some of these may have already been kitted by resin kit makers, but I can't help but think that they might do fairly well for a company doing IM, as well.

WW2:

Okay, this is the big one. Not trying to be biased, but it's just a fact that this area gets the most responses in polls like these. The most asked for kits seem to be the Hawker Tempest and Typhoon. We know of the options that are/were available, but I can't help but to think that a company like Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, etc. would be shooting themselves in the feet by not doing kits of these subjects! Following hot on the heels of these two, seems to be the Do 17,  Ju 52, Beaufighter, Lavochkin fighters (actually, it seems you could take your pick between pretty much all the WW2 VVS stuff, people are begging for them!). The Val, Kate, Betty, Me 410 seem to pull almost as much demand and lets not forget the Westland Whirlwind and Lockheed Hudson, which seem to be on the same level of "most wanted" as the Japanese types I just mentioned.

Post WW2:

Let's just start with this: If a manufacturer makes a 1/32 kit that has the words, "Saab", "Mirage", or "Meteor" in the title, it would appear to be a license to print money! The same can be said for the "Century Series" of American aircraft, with the F-101, 102 and 106 getting a HUGE number of votes (actually counting higher than some of the WW2 types which I would have expected to beat them out!). BUT, the F-111 seems to be the most wanted jet kit out there, by far. However, The Mig 25/31 series is only a couple votes shy of the Aardvark. But, let's not forget the Jaguar and Buccaneer, which seem to top the British list and the Vampire coming in right behind them. It would also appear that quite a few people are looking for a GOOD Mig 15 kit. Another type that stands out as being very popular is the FJ-2/4 Fury. I wasn't sure if there's a kit of this out there already, so I really wasn't counting the votes for it, at first. Doing a quick search, it doesn't appear to have a kit, other than an older vac offering (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). In any case, people want one!

I'm sorry for not doing any real numbers on Helicopters and 1/24 scale, in particular. Actually, most of the people responding to this thread seemed to have left that part blank. I think it's safe to say, however, that just about any new release in those departments would be welcomed by those who build them.

Just my observations. Nothing more.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I just now started to follow up with this, when the realization hit me; the last time we took the time to assemble a poll, very few members actually responded to that poll, rendering all that work more or less useless, both to the LSP membership at large, and certainly to the manufacturers.

• 2 weeks later...

Primarily

F106 Delta dart

F102 Delta dagger

Cessna A37 dragonfly (so many options in african service south america etc)

Grumman OV1 mohawk

North american A5 vigilante

Well thats just my 2 cent worth although in all probability we wont see any of those any time soon...

Karim

I just now started to follow up with this, when the realization hit me; the last time we took the time to assemble a poll, very few members actually responded to that poll, rendering all that work more or less useless, both to the LSP membership at large, and certainly to the manufacturers.

Maybe it is time to give it another shot ?

Maybe it is time to give it another shot ?

Not by me. Honestly, the membership participation was so poor, that most of the staff seemed very disappointed, given that it takes a fair amount of effort to collate all this data and create said poll, so unless someone else on staff decides to do it, I think it shall remain undone.

Come on guys, isn't it time to upgrade this to WISH LIST 2015 OR 2016?

Anyway, a lot of goodies in 1/32 scale have appeared on the market since 2011 ad I am most grateful.

The only WW2 wants I have for 2016 would be the Val, Kate and Do-17, as usual. Well, there are others but they are less important aircraft.

I have no specific wants for WW1 aeroplanes, aside from an Austrian star strutter. I am so pleased with the surprises WNW offers to me that I am as happy as a clam (and twice as broke).. Also the Ansaldo A.1 "Balilla" which is coming from Aviattic is just more frosting on the cake.

As far as I am concerned we in 1/32 scale never had it so good. :yahoo:

Stephen :)

WWII RAF / FAA

Bristol Beaufighter VI.f

DeHavilland Mosquito YES TAMIYA & HKM

Avro Lancaster BI/III. YES HKM on the way

Post-WWII USAF / USN

Grumman A-6 Intruder. YES TRUMPETER

Grumman EA-6B Prowler

General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark. PROMISED by Tan Model

McDonnell RF-101C Voodoo

Convair/General Dynamics F-106 Delta Dart

Lockheed SR-71A

Lockheed TR-1A/U-2R or S

Post-WWII RAF / Royal Navy

McDonnell Douglas FG.1/FGR.2 Phantom II. YES on the way HKM

Blackburn/Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2

Sepecat Jaguar GR.1A + T.2. PROMISED by KH

Post-WWII Russia

Sukhoi Su-15 Flagon

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25RB/P Foxbat

Post-WWII Canada / Europe

Dassault-Breguet Mirage III/V. YES ITALERI & Kinetic on the way

Dassault-Breguet Mirage F.1CR

Lockheed TF-104G twin-seat Starfighter

Seven fulfilled or promised, twelve to go - more than a third hit rate is pretty good in four years

Tony

Edited by Tony T

OK, I just finished wading through all 13 pages, and it seems that a poll, as such, never manifested itself, for reasons unknown to me. LSP_Dan, who originated the thread, is unfortunately now deceased, and that may well be the primary reason.

What also becomes apparent, is that many items (on what has now become just a 13 page long wish list), have already come to pass since June 2011, some from main stream manufacturers, others from limited run folks, while others are right now being discussed as genuine near future releases.

After several years not having built models due to other priorities, I will start with a kit soon. I "only" have to decide on the which one.

There are so many incredible nice kits to choose from of which we could only have dreamt several years ago.

Even though I have already created a short list from which to choose, I really liked the question posted earlier; "For which new kit would you drop everything ?" and my personal interpretation "spend an insane amount on detailing bits and pieces"   :mental:  :rolleyes:

For me that would most definitely  be a 1/32 F-111E

• 2 weeks later...