Most Wanted Poll / Wish List 2022 (and beyond)

LSP Dan

• 1 month later...

1/24

Messerschmitt Bf110

Messerschmit Me262

Focke-Wulf Ta 152

Bristol Beaufighter

... I think that's about it. Maybe a Tempest as well? Although I am a bit too thick to tell it apart from the Typhoon. Hrhr.

1/24 ... Wow you DO like 'em big eh?? ;)

Looking at a Tempest and Typhoon ... and playing "Spot the difference" ... I would assume that you are talking about the Tempest Mk.V with the gaping mouth under the front nose necessitated by the Napier engine.

* Look down at both aircraft from the top (as if you were flying over the top of both) ... The wing shape (and surface area) of the Tempest is totally different to the Typhoon ... This also allows the twin 20mm canon in each wing, to be mounted recessed.

Help at all??

Rog :)

Yes, thanks for the explanation Rog. :) I find it a bit odd though that Hawker would make two close to identical aircraft and giving them different names for the sake of hiding a couple of cannons. That's like switching the wings on a Spitfire and call it Stegosaurus.

Yes, thanks for the explanation Rog. :) I find it a bit odd though that Hawker would make two close to identical aircraft and giving them different names for the sake of hiding a couple of cannons. That's like switching the wings on a Spitfire and call it Stegosaurus.

LOL :D ... It's actually more about development - not that odd when you get the details into perspective! It's kind of like one of those "Meanwhile, behind the scenes" things ... The Typhoon was originally designed to replace existing frontline interceptors ... Flaws in its handling characteristics (a few of them fatal!) led to a reversal of this policy ... it was discovered though, that it made for an excellent ground support/attack aircraft. Meanwhile redesign and development lead to the introduction of the Tempest as the frontline interceptor replacement.

Obviously this is a rather short summary ... You can find the details by doing the Wikipedia thing ...

Thanks for the history lesson sir! I much prefer your summary over Wikipedia as I'm currently a bit too impatient to go there and read it all! :lol:

I've read Clostermann's "The big show" not long ago, though... and he seemed to love his Tempest. I should very much like to build his Charles in 1/24!

Edited by Sparzanza

Thanks for the history lesson sir! I much prefer your summary over Wikipedia as I'm currently a bit too impatient to go there and read it all! :lol:

I've read Clostermann's "The big show" not long ago, though... and he seemed to love his Tempest. I should very much like to build his Charles in 1/24!

No problem ... A while back I had the same question which is why I studied it out ...

Ahhh a 1/24 Tempest ... lets hope Airfix make a similar sort of progression to history here, eh? ;) ;)

• 1 month later...

Being new here, I've been reading over this topic...very interesting, I know it is a bit out of date, but has anyone distilled this information down yet ? Eliminating things that have ben released and putting the tallies up for the rest ? Just curious....

Joe

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

mmm my holy grail must want is a 1/350 scale Enterprise E (NCC-1701-E).  It'd be bloody massive though (over double the size of Polar Light's 1/350 Enterprise 1701-A kit).  An Enterprise D would be even better lol, that saucer section would be damn massive!!!  Yeah, I know I can get pre-made /1350 models of either variant, but at USD 12k or thereabouts, well and truly out of my pockets unless I win the lottery!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

An-2

An-14

An-28

MiG-15

MiG-17

MiG-21SMT, PF

MiG-29 (9-12, 9-13, UB, SMT)

MiG-25

MiG-31

Su-7