Marcleon

Dragon Mustang

I started this a little while ago... I think it's a fairly good kit with some great features, but a few errors really stand out... With the new Tamiya and Z-M kits in the offing, I don't think we'll see a lot of these completed now, but I'd really like to get this one together...

The only major addition will be the Aires cockpit set, actually the set for the Trumpie kit, I do like to make life difficult for myself...

DSC03866.jpg

The two major problems are the propellor blades and the rivet detail on the wings... the "Mad driller" was here...

DSC03867.jpg

Sooo... I carved a new blade that pleased me, slightly longer, modified root to fit the shape of the spinner better, aerofoil profile added to the front of the blade, not the back, and sorted out the angle of attack along the length of the blade... Shape also slightly different... then I got my friend Chris to cast me four resin ones in the mould you see here... these were sanded down and painted... the spinner I couldn't help painting too! I'd like to do Kay's Kite...

More later...

Regards,

Marcleon

Off to an interesting start ! And welcome to the forum ! PM inbound.....Harv :speak_cool:

Hi Harvey!

I did reply to your PM - hope you got it, please let me know! I will try to make a plan... Thank you for your interest...

Hi big matt, thank you for the comments. I don't think the photies are so great... it's mid-winter here and the light is poor... but hopefully they will improve!

Well, on with the build!

I recently found this stuff;

DSC03873.jpg

Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer, and I have used it with great effect; I wondered if it would help with the rivet problem on the wings so I applied a coat with a stiff brush all over the wing, let it dry and then sanded it down. It seemed to work OK, but the rivets were still quite visible, so I had another go and after sanding the rivets were just about gone... I found the panel lines were reduced but not gone.. (nice)

DSC03872.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

I did the photies in different light conditions as the effect is difficult to see (grey on grey) but I'm sure you get the idea!

That's all for now!

Regards,

Marcleon

Hi there MARU5137,

Thank you for looking in... You're right, Mustangs are classy and beautiful...

Well, on with the hole filling... I used chunks of plasticard wedges to fill the holes for the rocket rails, I won't be doing them... more surface primer and sanding and this is as far as we are...

DSC03868.jpg

I'm not sure whether the tail surfaces need this treatment too.... were they natural metal or painted silver? Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Marc

I found something else that bugged me quite a lot... it was pointed out in a few reviews, the very nice rubber tyres (with premoulded "flat spot" are too big for the rims and just flop around... so I decided to build up the edge of the rim... using strips of plasticard, as seen here: Do 4 times!

DSC03876.jpg

All the Best,

Marcleon

I built this kit a few years ago. I remember the tire/wheel condition very well. A real annoyance. By leaving off the rockets you've bypassed another fit problem. If you use the tear-drop shaped drop tanks I think you'll run into another fit problem when you go to mount them to the pylon. The fit problems aren't insurmountable. In spite of them, and the kit being the first airplane I had built in over 20 years, the build was worth it to me.

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for dropping in and the advice... I'm glad you got the kit together- it gives me some encouragement! And I'm grateful you gave me a head's up on the drop tanks- I will try to sort the fit problems out now!

Well, on with the build...

I started on the cockpit area and cutting out the Aires resin parts... as I mentioned, its the set for the Trumpeter kit, so I anticipated a few problems... I removed all the detail from inside the fuselage halves, and as the Aires cockpit floor has a flat floor compared to the stepped one of the original kit I removed the vertical part of the rear support on both fuselage halves... Then I found the floor was a bad fit... only to realise the Aires resin floor part was badly warped... straightened that out with a bit of steam and then it fitted... So trimmed up the resin cockpit sides (quite a lot of filing and fiddling) and got them to mate up with the floor... not looking too bad!

DSC03887.jpg

Kind of dryfitted both sides and floor and found it would fit inside the fuselage halves quite snuggly after a bit of scraping of fuselage halves inside...

DSC03888.jpg

I figure the fit of the canopy rails in the right place is the critical visible area, so tried to fit them to the fuselage halves, secure with tape, and add the floor afterwards... to my surprise, this is quite feasible and will make the assembly easier... I managed to make a hole in the instrument panel shroud while thinning things generally, but a resin one is supplied by Aires, will have to see how that fits! And check the fit of the windscreen too!

The armour plate is also badly warped and has bits broken off... I'll have to do some work there, too...

All the Best,

Marcleon

'. . . And check the fit of the windscreen too!'

Thanks for the reminder. You'll need to champher the inside bottom edge of the windscreen to get it to fit. The problem is that this edge is squared off. So that point of contact pushes the bottom of the windscreen out. That point of contact should have been molded at an angle in order for the windscreen to fit. You will need to sand both the right and the left bottom inside edge of the windscreen in order for it to fit flush.

In my signature I have a link to the Dragon P-51D I built. There are only a few pictures. It will take no time to scroll thru them. It was not a Work in Progress, it was a Ready for Inspection. If you go there and take a look at the windscreen you'll see the fit after champhering both inside bottom edges.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark!

Thank you for the comments! Your build is great, and the info very useful - when it comes to canopies I often modify the fuselage to make the canopy fit, rathr than try and fiddle with the clear parts, but here I agree with you, it's the way to go! I also checked the drop tanks - seem OK to me with a bit of bending and persuading! The piping is a bit random, will have to research that!

The build is progressing slowly, I'm mostly fiddling with the cockpit fit and wondering about the seat belts - maybe the Dragon ones?

I have also asked Kev to move this to the group build, I think I need some motivation and pushing to get this finished!

Regards,

Marcleon

Hey dodgem37... Did you give up?? Any progress??

I also have this same Dragon kit. Thinking about building this one to get my feet wet in preperation for the Tamiya Mustang. Also, I'm afraid if I buid the Tamiya kit first this Dragon kit will seem like a turd. Think I'll build the turd first...