ScanmanDan

Hasegawa F4b-4

Two wings with lots of goodies;

New resin cockpit set from Mike West, Vector resin engine, Master Details 30 cal brass barrels and some other goodies.

fuselage.jpg

engine.jpg

engine1.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Considering it's age this kit builds pretty nicely. Getting the Vector engine together is becoming a bit of a struggle but it looks oh so good. The Mike West cockpit set is a touch rough but looks a lot better than the kit bits but not much shows through the tiny opening. So far so good.

Thanks for taking a look.

Guest Peterpools

Terrific start on a classic kit as well as a classic Boeing fighter. :speak_cool:

Peter

I love the shapes of the old boeing fighters, I had no idea that that there were aftermarket goodies available for this kit. I'll be watching this one for sure!

Mike

A bit more progress;

parts.jpg

enginefinished.jpg

enginefinished1.jpg

The Vector engine is a little gem but took ages to put together as each one of the cylinders is a separate piece without any positive locators. I used 5 minute epoxy to give me a chance to try and get them all lined up. But boy it took a long time to get together. I've still got to add some plug wires and the exhaust pipes. More work done on cleaning up that nasty seam under the wings. I've also started in tidy up the details. The old Hasegawa kit still fits together really well but I think it might be a bit of a challenge to cleanly get her assembled after painting.

Kev-- Thanks, sure is a nice kit. The P-12 looks pretty cool too. I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet but like the Felix the cat USS Saratoga scheme so far.

Mike-- Thanks, Didn't take any pics sorry. Not much to see as the cockpit is so small. Here's a pic of the instructions;

plans.jpg

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

Guest Peterpools

Very impressed with your build and treatment of a classic kit. Any chances of some close ups of the engine, now that it s nearly done?

:thumbsup:

Peter

It looks like you opened the lower openings in the fuselage where exhaust pipes appear to run. Will you back them with tubing or something else?

Will you add screen or mesh to the oval opening on the LH side? (intake or ?)

This looks great and makes me want to finish one too. The biggest problem I have had with this kit is that the plastic is so brittle.... be very careful if you want to open that venturi tube on the RH side.

Very nice so far.

Tnarg

Dan,

.......More work done on cleaning up that nasty seam under the wings.

Dan, I ran into the same problem with my Bf2c-1; On the next one I figured to shim that seam with a piece of .005 or.010 stock. I figured it might be easier to sand off a bitt than grow it up. Thanks for the pic of the destructions. If you are interested I threw some pics and descriptions in the rigging tutorial, I hope it may help. Good progress.

Dan,

Your F4b-4 is looking great my friend. Always glad to see someone tackle an old classic kit,especially your projects.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Here's a link that I'm sure you'll find very helpful.

http://ww1aircraftmodels.com/

Edited by Spads57