Possible Upgrades for Revell Harrier?

Derek B

I'd be most happy if you include a new compressor face with your parts. The Revell one has the blades backwards and it's bugged me to no end for years (Clockwise spin when viewed from the front instead of the proper British CCW). Looking forward to what ever you do.

Gary :speak_cool:

BTW the cannon pods, although a bit simple, are in the kit.

I'd be most happy if you include a new compressor face with your parts. The Revell one has the blades backwards and it's bugged me to no end for years (Clockwise spin when viewed from the front instead of the proper British CCW). Looking forward to what ever you do.

Gary :speak_cool:

BTW the cannon pods, although a bit simple, are in the kit.

Gary,

Thank you for confirming the gun pod inclusion ahead of me looking for myself. I hadn't realised that the fan was moulded back to front - thanks for pointing that out. This makes me more inclined to look for a Trumpeter Harrier II (of any description) with which to use as a basis for an accurate correction set for the Revell kit.

Regards

Derek

I managed to look more fully at my Revell Harrier GR.1 kits last night and I now have a much better understanding of what is required. The overall shape of the airframe looks generally good, although some areas are somewhat understated or 'soft' - mainly the nozzle fairings and trailing egde wing to fuselage fillet fairing. The engine compressor fan is indeed moulded as rotating in the wrong direction, so this is a major bloop that will need correcting. The intakes - as suspected - are undersize in throat area (they are correct at the top where they meet the canopy frames, but need widening and deepening to be lower on the fuselage). The upper wing to fuselage interface could be more well defined plus the upper fuselage engine covers and small intakes will need completely reworking. A new fin will be rquired for the GR.1 and 3 variants.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks for the report Derek.

Did you mean 'good' or 'odd' here? :hmmm:

Kev

Oops, meant 'good' here (sticky fingers)...Thanks Kev :)

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is a bit old, but I just wondered, Derek, how far away the correction/conversion sets for the Harrier Gr.1 and Gr.3 are (as described in post #3)? I'll buy two. I would definately buy a conversion set for the Sea Harrier FRS1 as well.

Really looking forward to those sets.

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras

Hello Roy (nice meeting you at Telford).

This is one of those kits that I have to think about how far to stop, as there is a lot that needs reworking. However, I do have a fan sorted out for it (one of the biggest problem areas). The intakes are another major problem area, but once those two are done, there are many other possibilities for AM stuff. As always, time is the issue (too busy - but it is one I want to do sooner rather than later).

Regards

Derek

Hello Derek

Nice meeting you and your wife at SMW.

I'm crossing my fingers for that the sets will arrive in a not very distant future. I have a couple of Revell kits waiting. I'm not expecting an ultimate superdetailing set, but one that will help me correct the most glaring errors. And of course a conversion for a Sea Harrier FRS1 is high up on my wish list too.

I know you're a busy man and I know your work is of superb quality. I'll wait patiently :-).

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras