Mother Needs A Spitfire

I have to do a "To Do" list towards the end of a build as I always forget aerials and pitots etc.

Think its just age!!!!

Really good to see the paint of her!

Phil :thumbsup:

Funny you should say dat! I JUST got done marking off some of teh many.........MANY things on my current builds to do. First time I actually felt I NEEDED one, as with all the stuff you mentioned is exactly the type of stuff I tend to forget as well................ :unsure:

I hope to get some paint on too!

Brian

I have to do a "To Do" list towards the end of a build as I always forget aerials and pitots etc.

Think its just age!!!!

Really good to see the paint of her!

Hi Phil - Yep To Do lists they are great until the age related no gripy in fingers syndrome kicks in! Then you drop a new open can of black paint on it. So now need new paint and new list. If I can remember what I wrote?

Love the work on your Hunter she’s looking mighty fine!!! :speak_cool:

Funny you should say dat! I JUST got done marking off some of teh many.........MANY things on my current builds to do. First time I actually felt I NEEDED one, as with all the stuff you mentioned is exactly the type of stuff I tend to forget as well................ :unsure:

I hope to get some paint on too!

Brian

Hey Brian with the monster your building think you might need a PA to help keep track of all then there bits. :blink:

How do these people do multi builds at the same time - I would be putting paint in my tea and spraying the milk on the model. Bad enough trying to remember my name and age at the same time! :rolleyes:

Happy Model Days

Uhm who am I..... Oh Yeh Taff :D

Hey Brian with the monster your building think you might need a PA to help keep track of all then there bits. :blink:

YAR! I think your right Taff..............I may have to look into that. :lol:

How do these people do multi builds at the same time - I would be putting paint in my tea and spraying the milk on the model. Bad enough trying to remember my name and age at the same time! :rolleyes:

I COMPLETELY Agree! No WAY I could ever do multiples.............hells bells.........can barely handle the one im doin.

Then you drop a new open can of black paint on it.

So does that mean that you just spilled a tin of paint on the spit or the to do list?

Cheers,

Brian

No lady luck and been there before :crying:

I mix to one side and also my new designer hi tech spray both thing means she is held quite high. More of a worry with fat shaky hands trying to get used to this bleeding airbrushy thing.

Not to much air.... good okay pull back for a bit of paint.... SPLAT DOH!!! ****! :BANGHEAD2: you know how it goes.

will start putting the Camo on tonight :speak_cool:

Taff :D

Hi comrades

I thought I would try doing a bit of experimenting with post shade and general grunge on the bottom, as a precursor to the weathering.

I mixed what I would call a Mid Grey then added a splodge of Dark Brown to make this a bit murkier.

This was then lightly – or as light as my ohhhhhhhh so not delicate fat hands can manage - to areas and rivet lines etc. This does make the heart pick up a beat or two.

Oh what have I done!!! :blink:

145-SpitPainting.jpg

Then over sprayed it with the Humbrol Medium Sea Grey 165 to blend and added a bit more on the darker bits to knock them back. Quit pleased with the result!

What do you think?

146-SpitPainting.jpg

I left this to dry for a couple of days. Then moved onto masking off the bottom.

This seemed to take ages but finally got it done and girded the loins! Took a deep breath - gulp :unsure: and attempt to free hand the Grey areas of the Camo.

I am using Humbrol Ocean Grey 106 as per the paint instructions. To my eye this seems to be very light.

This is hard to show in pictures. But what do you think comments, opinions or help with the colour very very welcome!

Bit flat in this one and hard to see.

147-SpitPainting.jpg

More contrast in this one so you can see it better.

148-SpitPainting.jpg

This has had several light coats for now but this seems to be the colour and more applications wont make it darker just more dense.

I have had a look through my books and ref pictures searched interweb and it seems to be a darker blue-ish grey.

But then I find another picture of a Vb with what seems to be a similar light colour grey!!!! :mental:

Think I will call into Hobbycraft on the way home and get another tin; the lid looks a lot darker than the paint so might have got a naff one! If not scary bit is try and mix a bit. :huh:

149-SpitPainting.jpg

So this is as far as I took her last night, until I can sort the colour issues. Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated.

Till next time keep on a modelling.

Taff :D

I like it...................I usually have better luck with "mid shading" that pre. IE, doin what you did and putting the shading on top of the original color and fogging some light color of the same on that.......

Looks sweeeeeet!

I think it will even improve more once the other camo color is applied. :popcorn;

Cheers,

Brian

I like it...................I usually have better luck with "mid shading" that pre. IE, doin what you did and putting the shading on top of the original color and fogging some light color of the same on that.......

Looks sweeeeeet!

I think it will even improve more once the other camo color is applied. :popcorn;

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian - I am kinda swing to that direction too seems a bit more controlled but I wont give up on the pre just yet, will try it on my next one.

Just looked at what you have done with the legs and missiles - amazing the colour just brings them to life!!!! can't wait to see these all together.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi all

Managed to get some more work done on this project. First up I scanned in the painting plans and re-sized this up to the size of the model in Photoshop. It was then cut up into digital pieces in a DTP programme and arranged economically. I then printed this out onto A3 paper.

Next I cut out the shapes. Then folded lots of small bits of 10mm masking tape back on it’s self to give me small double sided sticky pads. :hmmm:

I had tried the rolled sausage blue tack method on the Mosquito I built. It didn’t hold the paper very well, plus it took me blooming ages to get all the bits of goo off. So I thought I would try something different. So apart from the bad language from trying to get my not so delicate banana shaped fingers to fold them pesky bits of tape it, IMHO, did the job far better and a lot cleaner.

The next problem was getting the paper to conform to some of the shapes without cockling up. My solution is to cut the bigger masks in half. This released the pressure plus meant I could use bigger bits of tape to give them a secure hold in the middle. Also with the uhhmm! :innocent: Borrowed technique from Brian of using liquid mask to seal the awkward bits. It took me a while to do but finally got her done!

This is her ready to paint.

150-SpitPainting.jpg

The other side

151-SpitPainting.jpg

I gave her a couple of thin coats and let this dry. So a cup of tea and biscuits later I did the same as with the Mid Grey and added a bit of Black and Dark Brown to the Dark Green (H30). With this I picked up areas and seam line. Then added a bit of white to a fresh load of Green and picked out some of the panel centres and general splodges.

This is very nerve raking as it looks a bit of a mess and over done! :unsure: So I had more tea and another round of biscuits to calm me whilst this all dried. Then finished with several more light coats to blend it in.

Also at this point remembered to do the mirror and other part of the canopy. :frantic:

152-SpitPainting.jpg

After this was dry I moved on to the Yellow bits on the wings.

It’s hard to see from the poor black and white photo if she had these yellow flashes. But they do state that they where delivered in standard British markings! So on they will go.

First came off all the rest of my masking underneath and on the tail stripe. Couldn’t have cleaned all the grease off, as some of the paint pealed from around the bottom of the tail with the tape. So will have to do a bit of a touch up! :BANGHEAD2: I used the paper printouts as guides stuck down on to may light box and cut the curve out of masking tape. Stuck these to the wings then run another bit of tape at the each of the ends. Then just stuck paper around these to catch any over spray.

Then after some dry time. The big reveal! She’s starting to look a bit more like an aeroplane know.

153-SpitPainting.jpg

154-SpitPainting.jpg

Quit pleased with my efforts so far. Stretching myself but I am told this is good and keeps life exiting!!

After I have retouched the pealed bits I will give her a very light coat of varnish to stabilise her and protect what I have done. Then the really scary bit of trying to paint the markings. :huh:

Happy Days - Taff

NOICE!!

I really like it. The shading looks like the doggies danglies. I hope I can replicate the same type of shade and shadow on mine! I really like the way the panels look with some of the airframe color lightened a bit in the center.

Lookin forward to more...........

Cheers,

Brian

Wow! never seen that before, using the guide blown up to use as masks. :speak_cool:

Pretty innovative and it works a treat.

Your paint looks really terrific, a nice mottled, weathered look.

ONWARD!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Hi comrades back with an update

Brian and Phil sorry for my shoddiness in get back to your comments but work and life got in the way this week.

Phil Yep the paper thing does work quite well defiantly with the rolled up tape and not the BlueTak – to much goo. :hmmm:

Hopefully by the time I have done my fourth or fifth I might get it to work even better!

Brian I am really looking forward to your monster with the colour on! She is sure looken mighty pretty!!!

On too my weekends work and the start of many possible brown trouser moments. Muck this up and not sure what I will do!!!!! :unsure:

First up I cleaned up the scanned images I used for the camo. I took the British bits off and added the Russian ones I had drawn to give me a rough guide on where they need to sit.

I then printed these out on A3 paper.

155-SpitPainting.jpg

From my original paper printouts of the graphics I cut a square around the numbers and stuck them to my light box. This had a piece of picture glass laid over the top, scavenged from a cheap picture clip frame. Then a bit of 40mm tape. I folded the end round so that it would be easier to peel back. My first attempt didn’t go at all well – so repeated the process. This time thought I would try a cheat and laid another bit of tape over the top so that I would cut both masks at the same time. By doing this it made the outline to blurred and soft.

156-SpitPainting.jpg

I abandoned the light box and stuck my two strips of tape onto the glass with the folded bits at either end. Then stuck my numbers on top of this. As you can see I ran out of my paper guides so had to cut the one out of my lay-up example.

157-SpitPainting.jpg

Moving on to the guard emblem I did the same.

158-SpitPainting.jpg

Thanks to the wonderful tip/tutorial from Chris E. I overlaid thin strips of tape to hold the shapes and the number eight’s counters as I transferred the masks to the plane. :speak_cool:

Only thing, as I had cheated and cut the two at the same time I need to carefully lift and separate each mask. Just needed to do some gentle persuasion with the scalpel. I followed Chris’s tip and gently rubbed the edges down with a paintbrush end. Also I read some where about applying a light coat of clear to help seal the edges, I did this and let it dry.

I slowly built up a light coating of white. Then applied some light grey over this on the seams and rivets. This was finished with another coat of white to blend and make it more opaque.

Okay next the first brown trouser moment the big reveal – DAN AHHHA!

:party0023:

159-SpitPainting.jpg

Okay not perfect but just chuffed it looks alright - it will do for me. Just need a bit of a tidy on some of the edges. :P

Back with in a sec with some more.

Taff

Okay Back and next will be the lightning flash – Gulp!!! :unsure:

I can’t cut these out at the same time so back out came the light box and I reverted to my first plan. So stuck down my printout plan then the thin glass then the masking tape, still rolled at one end to help with the lifting. This was carefully cut arround.

160-SpitPainting.jpg

So after applying Chris's thin strips and some very gentle teasing got this off the glass then the real fight to get it onto the plane. :fight:

First I lined up the arrow and the top point of lightning flash, a gentle dab to hold these in place. Oh for four pairs of hands!!!! Because you are trying to fit this around a shape and not flat this all started to cockle up and you push down one part and it would pop up somewhere else DOH! :angry2:

So I started to dab it down to see where the tension points are. A little cut with the scalpel or a fold to release the pressure. Doing this finally got it to start to lie. Last bit was to cut the end off the bottom flash, which allowed me to line this up along the bottom line and then just hold the end bits down with another bit of tape. :thumbsup:

161-SpitPainting.jpg

After peeling of the holding tape a run around the edges with the brush end, I was ready to paint. First a light blow over with clear. Not sure if this actually does anything but too much of a chicken not to do it. :shrug: I let this dry and back to a light coat of white. Followed with a light coat of the lemon yellow. Next mixed a bit of brown with the yellow to do the seams and rivets. Then the final coat of Yellow.

After letting this all dry I put a fresh pair of trousers on. Just in case. And did the final very slow reveal. :rolleyes:

163-SpitPainting.jpg

The other side

162-SpitPainting.jpg

YEAHA!!! Brown trousers stage two passed! :clap2: Looks like Ziggy Star Dust or ZZ Tops been around here. I am likeing this a lot. Really adds a bit of pizzazz to ye old Spity.

This still needs a bit of a clean up aswell! So not filling me with confidence for the Red stars. So choices, do I go for the white area and use my homemade decals or go for broke and paint them on.

One of those should have taken the blue pill moments. Oh Choices!!!! :unsure:

Okay as this is all about experiment and learning!!!! Lets go for broke. :wacko:

I reverted to my two mask cutting method. Did the Chris shuffle with the tape thing. Made a rule guide out paper to line the stars up on the wing.

Laid these onto the wing tops and rubbed them down with ye old trusty brush end. Things still going well!

164-SpitPainting.jpg

I did the white then the red. Applied a bit of pre shading. Then the final red coat. Things where still looking spiffing. When this had all dried. I laid the thin bits of tape down for the black keyline. Air brushed this in a dark grey with a light mottle of Black 33 to finish.

Then the big pull off of the masks. DOH! and double DOH!!! B?@>***@? Need some new trousers - the black has bleed.

165-SpitPainting.jpg

Shame everything else was swimming not perfect but I can live with it, but hay, it’s done!!

Should have taken the blue pill. :BANGHEAD2:

Okay need to gather my thoughts anybody got any pointers? They are more than welcome to chip in with them.

Do I make the decals I have made a bit larger and reprint them. Then paint over these with white and use them?

Or try to salvage what I have with touch ups?

I have to say the paint does look very nice and far more natural and convincing. So more thought needed on these two plus the fact I have the fuselage and under side to do as well!!

Staying on the positive, a finishing shot of her profile. She is starting to look the part!!!

166-SpitPainting.jpg

Happy Days - Taff :D

:party0023:

I am liking this a lot. Really adds a bit of pizzazz to ye old Spity.

Me too! And yes it sure does make a different spit out of her. :speak_cool:

Do I make the decals I have made a bit larger and reprint them. Then paint over these with white and use them?

Or try to salvage what I have with touch ups?

Personally, my motto most of the time is "if it aint broke dont make it broker" or in this case "if it aint that broke............"

Bottom line Taff, you put a hell of a lot of work into the paint and almost all of the stuff save the stars came out about as perfect as you could ask. Id say, since everything but the stars turned out so well, I wouldn't risk mucking up the fabulous work so far..............id see if you can salvage what you have and just touch up the stars.

I have to say the paint does look very nice and far more natural and convincing.

Staying on the positive, a finishing shot of her profile. She is starting to look the part!!!

166-SpitPainting.jpg

Real nice looking! And your not even done yet................. :D

I really like the gray and green with the red stars......really makes a different take on the Spit.

Cheers,

Brian

I'm with our Brooklyn cuz here, stop getting yer drawers in a twist! :evil_laugh:

Right, the slight bleed out on your stars is miniscule and apart from close up it isn't really noticeable.

However knowing your attention to detail, its gonna nag at you.

Before you start touching up with paint there is an alternative.

At my local art shop I buy waterbased black marker pens made by UNI.

I've got them in 0.1mm and 0.05mm sizes.

Now, the thing is being waterbased you can use them with a rule to crisp up fluffy demarcations and if you get it wrong simply wipe them off with a damp cotton bud.

Drawback is that you should leave them at least 24hrs to dry then mist on a sealing clear coat.

Don't have time for a photo of the pens atm Taff but they are black pens with the logo "uni pin fine line" and are made by the Mitsubishi pencil Co who also

make zeros so they can't be all bad.

If you need a picture of them I can do one tomorrow, but they are far more forgiving than paint for tiny corrections.