Mother Needs A Spitfire

Your weathering on the spinner is superb, Taffy! Nice save on the cowling too!

Hurry up! With the deadline extension you may be able to pull if off!

Hi Tomek – I is doing it as fast as my fat fingers can fumble along. :frantic:

Still think I will struggle to hit even the new one!!! But I can but try. How is the bi plane coming on haven’t had a look in lately.

Taff

Hi Comrades – The struggle continues. So time for an update.

Okay I decided that the sticky up look that the tail plane wanted to do was wrong! And didn’t seem to match my ref pictures. So a bit of needle file action followed by some scalpel slashing. This dropped them more to a horizontal position.

Also as this is a learning process for me I thought I would try a different fill technique on the gap between the tail plane and the fuselage? :hmmm: So instead of reaching for the filler I tried to fill the gap with some stretched sprue and some liquid glue. I found this worked quite nicely. It is easier, faster and a lot less messy than using filler.

After some rubbing down with a needle file and finish with a fine wet and dry, folded to a round shape. It all blended in quite well

129-SpitTail.jpg

Moved on to the aerial. Yes I know putting this on now is asking for it not to be there for long! :BANGHEAD2:

But it’s done. I did cut the plastic peg off and replaced it with a bigger bit of brass rod. Then I will cross my fingers and try to control my fat fingers.

Also replaced the non discript plastic peg with a bit of spare brass from some PE, this was shaped and looped for where the wire will run. Plus looking at some schematics from the Internet there are some dimples at the bottom with the whole thing sitting on Bakelite base plate. Well here was my attempt.

130-SpitAerial.jpg

Putting the cannons on turned into a bit of a nightmare. Because I didn’t put the guns into the wing there is nothing to line them up with and the holes are massive compared to the peg that is pushed into it. Also noticed that the Gun holes don’t match each other with the port wing being a lot lower than the starboard. :BANGHEAD2:

Okay conclusion.

To late to alter this and not sure where I would start but at least anyone else doing this kit will hopefully note and it will give them a chance to correct before you seal the wing up! So I first rubbed the top part of the port gun hole down with a needle file to line it up a bit better. This was never going to correct it fully but it will look a bit closer.

Next I cut some Ever Green tube down to fit over the cannon’s pins. This I then rubbed back until I got a snug fit. Sloped some filler around the base to try and fill the cavernous hole. Then rubbed it back flush to the wing and the cannon.

Whilst doing the port one knocked the other one off so had to repeat again. :deadhorse:

My finished efforts. Also I drilled the barrel out.

131-SpitCannon.jpg

The final Spitfire ready to mask! Whoo eeeee! Get to put some paint on her. :yahoo:

132-SpitFinishRaw.jpg

But first need to mask all her bits up ready for the trip to the paintshop. Or paint box in my case!

133-SpitMaskBot.jpg

135-SpitMaskTop.jpg

A tip I acquired from looking at Brian’s big Russian Gal :rolleyes: I used Maskol to help seal things up. Thanks Brian top idea that!!! I would have never thought to do this.

Then using a rattle can I sprayed a couple of thin coats of Aluminium primer. This I will leave to dry off and then give it a nice and gentle rub down.

AND DON’T FORGET THE AERIAL. A note to myself.

Couple pictures bottom and top of her primed up. Nice to not see any bare plastic. She is starting to look like a plane at last!!!! :thumbsup:

134-SpitMaskBotSilver.jpg

136-SpitMaskTopSilver.jpg

Okay folks that all for now. Thanks for looking in any tips or comments always welcome

Happy Modelling

Taff :D

Nice work man! I feel like Im going SOOOOO slow sometimes, like everyone else has 2 or even more projects done in the time Im still not even done with my one!

Looks great so far as Im about at the same stage you are, priming and painting.

Cant wait to see more. :D :popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

Hi all

Kev - Thanks - slowly getting there and learning loads. Just need to put it into practice!!!

Brian - I know what you mean I feel like I am in some time bubble. I don’t think I am ever going to be a speedy builder. Hay the Big Ol Beefy Russian Gal is looking nice.

Thought I would update my spraying facilities from a box to a slightly more sophisticated box. With some inter-changeable cardboard support. :rolleyes:

Now I have some outstanding facility I thought as an exercise to try and master this hissing spiting airbrush thing. Plus also to see what affect it will have, I decided to attempt my first ever pre shading.

Sound simple but not so in practice!!! Or perhaps it had something to do with the bumbling fool in control! :huh:

Well here are my efforts what do think.

Bottom frist

138-SpitPreShadeBot.jpg

137-SpitPreShadeBot.jpg

Then the top

139-SpitPreShadeTop.jpg

140-SpitPreShadeTop.jpg

did get better as I went on. So Practise, Practise and more Practise.

Next give her another gentle rub over and then some colour :clap2:

Thanks for looking in and any comments tips on how to do thing properly always welcome.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi comrades and fellow Vodka guzzlers

Not a lot done this weekend as have been away. I did add colour to her before I left with the tail band. I have painted this first with the hope that I don’t get too much of a paint ridge at the edges. Plus because this means I will have to tape it, thought a good couple of days drying time would be a good idea. Fingers crossed that no paint lifts when I peel it off. :unsure:

141-SpitPainting.jpg

Then on my return Sunday night taped the tail band in. Interesting on how to line it up. :hmmm:

Best I could think to do is to cut a piece of paper for one edge. I lined this up by eye and stuck with some masking tape. This gave me a nice straight line to guide my tape. I then measured the 19.5 mm from this tape edge for the next line of tape. I placed little bits of tape arround the fuselage with the straight edge to the inside. This gave me the other line to run the tape strip around. Bit of joining the dots.

Hope that makes sense anybody got a better way please don’t be shy and share. Might save me some eyesight and hair next time. :D With this done sprayed on the bottom Grey building up the coats till I knocked back my pre shading enough.

Showing the taped band

142-SpitPainting.jpg

144-SpitPainting.jpg

143-SpitPainting.jpg

Its nice to take these close pictures but you do see all those things that you have done wrong. Things that I thought I had down turn out not to be. Those bits you see as nice and smooth are like craters. Some of these its to late to do anything about but I will revisit where I filled the gun holes on the wings!!! :BANGHEAD2:

My next task after the refill and rub back will be a light rub all over then attempt to add a bit of post shading and start to put in some of the dirt before I do the top camo.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Pre shading looks really great Taff.

I always get kinda ham-fisted here, and tend to put on more paint then I should and destroy any pre-shading work Ive done. :( I hope to thin my paint enough to be able to ease back, and do like you did so the shading will actually show. Im going to try putting on more thinned coats & stopping between each to see where im at.

Fortunately, I only have any real pre-shading to do on the SU vert fins, so not as much to destroy.

Great work man and look forward to more, :popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Its nice to take these close pictures but you do see all those things that you have done wrong.

I know that situation very well :rolleyes: .

Model on, Taffy. Everything looks good to me! And I'll keep my fingers cross as well...

Pre shading looks really great Taff.

I always get kinda ham-fisted here, and tend to put on more paint then I should and destroy any pre-shading work Ive done. :( I hope to thin my paint enough to be able to ease back, and do like you did so the shading will actually show. Im going to try putting on more thinned coats & stopping between each to see where im at.

Fortunately, I only have any real pre-shading to do on the SU vert fins, so not as much to destroy.

Great work man and look forward to more, :popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

Yep Brian this is my second attempt at all this weathering malarkey. It really isn't as easy as a lot of people around these parts make it look.

Oh yes that " just a little bit more..... No a little bit more." Even when the little voice in your head is screaming that's enough! :BANGHEAD2:

Think that is where the battle lies.

Any way onward Mother is demanding her birds.

Happy Days

I know that situation very well :rolleyes: .

Model on, Taffy. Everything looks good to me! And I'll keep my fingers cross as well...

Hi Tomek

Thanks for looking in mate. Yep you think its as smooths as the small child's bott. Then you look at the picture and how did I miss that. :shrug:

But hay all life great fabric and that!!!!

PS - Love the engine looks supper cool