Mother Needs A Spitfire

Very nice Comrade. I see you have defiled yourself by talking to these western pigs who speak of the decadent 80s! :lol:

In all seriousness Ive kinda felt a bit lonely in the FRwL group build............great progress and should be unique spit when shes done. :D

Keep up the good work and hope to see some more pics!

Cheers,

Brian

Very nice Comrade. I see you have defiled yourself by talking to these western pigs who speak of the decadent 80s! :lol:

In all seriousness Ive kinda felt a bit lonely in the FRwL group build............great progress and should be unique spit when shes done. :D

Keep up the good work and hope to see some more pics!

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian

Yes these western dogs do not understand the superior fashion of the glorious motherland them with their fancy flannel trousers and garish peacock colours. PAHH!!! Nout wrong with wrestling a bear – skinning it and making him into leg warmers!!!

Yep have been looking in on your beauty – WOW men that some serious work going on there. Can’t wait to see her finished. Work hazzels have been realy getting in the way of my little project lately.

These are sorted now! But now the wife wants to take up the pub tonight and buy me beer - core she's a great gal. :beer4:

Will post some updates soon - Dead line is creeping up :frantic:

All the Best - Taff

That's the way Taff, wrestle the bugger into submission!!!! :deadhorse:

Some really nice raised rivets on the fuse, were they on the kit or did you do them?

If so how?

Sweet stuff there mate!

:thumbsup:

Hi Phill

Yep she not giving it up to easy. :huh:

No I can’t claim the rivets they where on the kit. She is an old mould especially compared with the Mosquito but she has some nice bits but the fit and flash is a lot of work. Especially to a novice like me, but I am pushing myself here and in a sadistic kind of way enjoying it. :D

I am now trying not to destroy some of those nice bits with the repair and blend work on the seams. Post some pics later but Pub first.

All the best - Taff :D

PS Is it glowing stars on the Hunter :)

Hi Comrades :D

A bit of an update from the weekends work. Interesting weekend where I managed to destroy some bits that I had done and also make a bit of progress. Plus make some money on the Argintina v Scotland game!

First up whilst dry fitting the wings the tape gave way and before I caught it, the wing scraped down the front of my drawing board and ripped off the small landing flaps, - Doh! Not sure how to proceed with this. I will have a look later when it gets me less hot and bothered!!! :blowup:

090-SpitFlaps.jpg

Next disaster when trying to fit the engine the metal connector on the engine snapped – Double DOOOOOH!!! :BANGHEAD2:

So close to the engine not enough sticking out to try and re-solder it together.

So no engine.

But enough of that, moving on to the progress.

I have managed to get the wing and fuselage parts together. Again not the best of fit, but with some force and a bit of a fight, then some pegs and trusty masking tape got it as close as I could. :deadhorse:

Looking at Chris E stunning Trumpy Spit whish I had splashed a bit more cash. But I am still trying to learn lots of stuff so will wait till I can do this a lot better.

Plus I think I read around here somewhere that it is "good to practice on and to do old kits!!!"

They must be bonkers or just like to watch others suffer! :blink::unsure:

She stands on her legs. (How messy is that background!) :rolleyes:

091-SpitWings.jpg

So the wings next up, filling in the bits that wouldn’t close or where just to wide a gap to ever get close. These wide gaps had some small bits of Evergreen glued in to them then using tape I put some filler on to them.

093-SpitWings.jpg

The front of the wings to fuselage need a bit more attention as it didn’t line up very well so a lot more filler was spread over this part

092-SpitWings.jpg

Whilst this was setting I moved on to the exhausts. (Wow multi-tasking or what!!!)

Nice alignment. Not!!!! I Know this is an old kit but…… Insert tourettes…… :BANGHEAD2:

095-SpitExhaust.jpg

Okay that’s out of the system - moving on. Stick-em, Fill-em then when set I will rub back.

096-SpitExhaust.jpg

097-SpitExhaust.jpg

OH No more multi-tasking there goes my bloke status!!! The canopy. Masking them up first time ever masking the insides. Wow fiddle or what but managed it in the end.

098-SpitCanopy.jpg

I then gave this a light spry of the Aluminium spry primer I use. Then a spry of interior green no pics as yet but will post them next time.

Till the next time my fellow Vodka drinkers. :beer4: Thanks for looking any comments / tips welcome - Happy modelling!

Taff :D

Hi All

A quick update

As promised a picture of the canopy inside after a bit of paint and a littel bit of weathering.

099-SpitCanopy.jpg

I first primed this with a aluminium spray paint. Then Humbrol interior green on top of this. I was trying to do a bit of a paint chipping by scraping back to the underlying silver with a scalple blade. Might try a bit of light rubbing with sand paper as well? It looks a bit subtle in the picture but better in real life. Also made the canopy release. A bit to large but about all my banana sized fingers can cope with!! :rolleyes:

This was painted Gun Metal with a tiny bit of Burnt Umber oil paint added. When it is dry I will give it a silver dry brush to brighten it up and a bit of light brown to the pull wire.

Also managed to get the wings rubbed back. But now looking at the pictures can see some bits I have missed so will give this a re-visit.

100-SpitWings.jpg

101-SpitWings.jpg

102-SpitWings.jpg

Next hope to finish the exhausts and get front cowlings on. At last its starting to look like a plane.

Happy Days - Taff

Nice progress on your Spitfire, Taffy :speak_cool:

The pilot looks really nice in the cockpit :punk:

Are the legs already glued in place? It seems to me they're attached at wrong angle (see this photo from PrimePortal). It could be just some camera distortion.

:popcorn:

Hi Tomek - Thanks for looking in - Like the pic.

No the leg aren’t glued. Arifix puts a click joint in the wing so you can tuck them away for when you want to zoom around the room making engine noises – or is that just me!!! :unsure:

I can push them a little bit more Straight but because I put the brake wire down in to that bit of the wing they aren’t happy so slightly splayed it is for know. Another thing to look in to at some point. Also there is a distort from the camera lens being quite close in.

OddBod does like his room, just keeps complaining about the lack of glazing!

Thanks Taff :D

Hi Comrades – My fight against the Capitalist dictatorships continues.

Tomek – Yep real shame my electric engine didn’t work out. I will have to just blow on the props. Doh! And it is reassuring that I am not the only one with this affliction. :lol:

I finally got the exhausts cleaned up and a bit more shipshape. A bit of filler and eyestrain rubbing them back – oh the joys!!! :rolleyes:

Also attempted to open up the exhausts mouths with a small pin then further digging around with a thin pin file. I added or I should say attempted to add the weld seam with a thin bit of filler. I might try a bit of pulled sprue next time. Hey got keep experimenting! :unsure:

Then added some paint. Oh so nice to be adding some colour to the old gals bits at last. The under coat is a aluminium spray can used for cars. Its good stuff seams to stick to everthing and dries quit quickly.

103-SpitStacks.jpg

Then out with the airbrush. I light blow over of matt black along the bottom and around the mouth. Then a light mix of Gun Metal was put on all over. Next I mixed rust and bronze metal in to this. I did a light coat all over. Now built this colour up stronger on the front and down the sides. Finally for this stage a bit more Matt Black was applied to the mouth

104-SpitStacks.jpg

A different angle and closer.

105-SpitStacks.jpg

After drying over night I gave it a light rub over with a soft cloth (old cotton t-shirt) especially along the top to knock it back and allow the under laying colour to start to show through.

I read somewhere about applying graphite from a pencil and polish it to give a nice metal sheen. So that was done, finally I mixed up some chalk, a Red Brown and Umber colours, this was brushed on all over then worked around each one with more being left on the sides and bottoms. I also tried to use a White and Grey mix along the tops and mouth. This was meant to be the Lead deposits left on the exhaust, didn’t work so well. Then I did a very light coat of semi-gloss. After it dried a little rub over with the cloth.

106-SpitStacks.jpg

107-SpitStacks.jpg

I am quit pleased with these I am slowly getting used to this airbrush thing and I think my results are improving. :rolleyes:

Any comments and tip welcome. And thanks for looking in

Happt Days - Taff :D

Noice work mate................Ill have to give the graphite thingy a whirl!

Родина требует ее британского бойца!

Cheers comrad,

Brian

Hi Brian - Yep it does make a nice effect. I used a soft 6B powdered onto a bit of wet and dry then rubbed my cloth into this. It’s a lot less messy this way! I might try different hardness see if it makes any difference to the colour and density.

Like the translation thanks to Babel Fish. :speak_cool:

Happy Modelling

Well, I've never built a kit yet that doesn't want a punch up at some stage mate.

Nice to see you've had a word in this one's earhole and got back on track!

Exhausts are really terrific.

Nice job!!!

Phil :thumbsup:

I've been using pencil graphite in my armor models (mostly on tank treads), but I've never thought about using it in airplane models :doh:

The exhaust stubs look great, Taffy!

Hi mate - funny you say armour models!! That fired a few brain cells think that’s where I got it from, a book about finish techniques. My next venture is going to be into the military vehicle domain. But the effect in real life is very nice it loses a bit in the pictures.

Taff :D