Revell cockpit tub

Bruce

did I miss it in other posts? I haven't seen anyone mention that if you are using the Revell tub that the depth of the rear cockpit is WAY off. I've had the chance to measure the F-4 cockpit. Basically what I found for the Tamiya and Revell kits is that Tamiya has the correct dimension from the canopy sill to the side console, for both front and rear, correct. However, the distance from the side console to the floor is about 1/8th inch too shallow. Revell on the other hand has the distance from the canopy sill to the side console in the front tub correct and from the console to the floor is correct. The rear cockpit is off. The distance from the sill to the side console is too long but the distance from the console to the floor is correct. On should use the Tamiya kit as a guide to adjust the height by cutting the rear apart from the front and moving it up by cutting off the top edge of the part. Whay is this important?....the seats. Boy, here is another story. Most of the AM seats are made for the more popular Tamiya kit. If you place them in a Revell cockpit without adjusting the rear, the top of the seat sits too low. you can't just raise it because the bottom would stick out of the tub. The front seat would also sit too low because the Tamiya floor is too high so when you use a seat in the front of the Revell its too low. The seat in the F-4 doesn't sit on the floor because there are parts under the seat. The chute pack height is fixed in the F-4, the only part of the seat that moves is the pilots seat portion, it adjusts up and down which is why you'll see the ejection handles at different heights in pictures. For shorter pilots they raise the seat bottom and adjust the rudder pedals so they can get at them.

Bruce

Well I used the Aires F-4J tub in mine but it's a little late now for any corrections as it's glued in solid now.

Whenever I get around to doing another one of these monsters I'll probably take the kit tub and do some surgery to it starting at the bulkheads.

I raised the front cockpit by about 5 mm(I think) and scratchbuilt a new rear tub...

...need to do an update on my built.

Even noticed without the net, back somewhere in 1998 or so the seats are way to low on the Revell kit. Raised the cockpits by eyeballing, and came up with about the same amount as stated in Thierry's tweak list, I discovered a couple of years later :)

I raised the front cockpit by about 5 mm(I think) and scratchbuilt a new rear tub...

...need to do an update on my built.

Even noticed without the net, back somewhere in 1998 or so the seats are way to low on the Revell kit. Raised the cockpits by eyeballing, and came up with about the same amount as stated in Thierry's tweak list, I discovered a couple of years later :)

again, most of the aftermarket seats are too low(in revell kits) because they were made for the Tamiya kit whose floor is too high and the seats don't include the under seat detail that should be there. I've got most of all the AM seats and there is such a difference in them. mostly the difference is the overall height. most of them have the seat bucket about the same however the heights from the bottom of the bucket to the top of the ejection chute pack varies greatly. I truly believ its because whoever measure the seat for there company might not have known how the seat works. since the seat bucket raises and lowers to fit the pilot height, one guy goes to an a/c and measures the seat after the crewchief raises the seat all the way up to check under it for FOD. the next guys ends up measuring it when its full down. Someone else when its in the middle. Another guy measures it at the chute shop, etc., etc. then they all go back and try to make a seat that fits the Tamiya kit. voila, therefore a difference.

Bruce