Mi 24 Hind

ladder4boy

Hey guys.. hoping to join in with this kit which has been eyeballing me from my stash for a couple of years now. A few parts have been cut from sprues and test fitted and a few ejector pin marks have been filled (mostly why i quit working on it when i got back into modeling.. my skill set just wasn't up to the task), but it should fall WELL within the "less than 20% started" rule! Wanted to put the Su-27 in here, but that's probably gonna be a 3 year project or so (will probably take me that long to find someone who has some Pitz exhausts they're willing to sell!). This will be mostly OOB, with some scratch built stuff on the engines and in the cargo area mainly... planning on no AM unless i royally screw something up. May get the Linden Hill decals... time will tell. Here's the obligatory piccy...

DSCN3549.jpg

Looking forward to having some fun with this..

Cheers!

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it! This is a fun kit.

I did a diormama of it way back when (it's somewhere in the Ready for Inspection folder, I think).

Lot of opportunities for this one.

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim.. thanks for the inspiration! I Love that Dio.. may work mine into one some day down the road. Progress has been slow due to actual job related work lately, but i've got most of the parts cut out and fit checked.. will be doing some scratch building in the cargo/passenger area as it's big and very visible. Was thinking about getting the eduard stuff for it, but i'm gonna use a little trick to get by.. mostly, I go to eduards site, download the instructions, and see what they offer, then fabricate what i can out of .05 styrene sheet to mimic a lot of it. I tried flattening out the tires as most pictures i've seen show the bird sitting almost on the rim, but i got a little carried away and flattened too much.. so i'll be trying to get one of the main wheels correct and one of the nose wheels correct and then casting a match. I think the kit cockpit is pretty nice and should do well with just a few added wires. hoping to have some progress pictures next week. Doing this one, a swordfish for the multi-wing build, working on the phantom for THAT build, and still trying to tinker with my Scharnhorst.. just haven't had the time lately. I also just had a litter of puppies that have been sucking the remainder of my free time from me. Wishing i was 12 again with nothing to worry about but building models! I'll try to get back to it soon to keep you guys entertained!

Cheers!

and thanks for lookin'

Jerry

I look forward to your further efforts!

There used to be some nice resin after-market stuff for the Hind (that's where I got the infrared thingies for the exhaust), but I don't think they are in production anymore.

Cheers,

Tim W.

• 1 month later...

This will be mostly OOB, with some scratch built stuff on the engines and in the cargo area mainly... planning on no AM unless i royally screw something up. May get the Linden Hill decals... time will tell.

Yeah.. uhm.. about that.. fit a few pieces together.. looked at a few pictures.. asked for a little help with some reference and one thing led to another.. so basically this is gonna go from OOB to "pimped out" as much as i can now. Looking at pictures i realized that the fit on the real thing was so bad that even if i screwed something up scratch-building, it would look totally "right" anyhow! Pics to follow this weekend.. Promise!

Cheers,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

okay.. finally got my reference material in, scoured the web for inspiration and ideas, and ordered a couple thousand tiny rivets... the wife and kids are out of town till sunday, and i've got nothing else to do. Time to finally start the madness!

DSCN3691.jpg

I'll never finish this by the time the group build is over, but i should get a pretty good dent knocked in it at least... we shall see!

cheers,

Jerry

ordered a couple thousand tiny rivets...

Jerry,

Have you considered using Archer Fine Transfers' Surface Details II products? They sell a variety of decal sheets with (3D) resin rivets printed on them and already spaced evenly. All you need to to is cut strips of the decals.

Regards,

yeah.. i've got some of the archer rivets and they work pretty good. The only problem is that i'd need about 10 sheets, and at $17 a sheet it was too pricey. I've got lots of time on my hands to drill tiny little holes all over this thing, and the cost was around $3 for 200.. the only thing that it may cost me is my sanity :blink:

playing around with some of the smaller stuff now trying them out.. working on one of the stub wings to be exact. Should have some pics of that and the cockpit ready by morning time..

thanks for stopping by!

Jerry

yeah.. i've got some of the archer rivets and they work pretty good. The only problem is that i'd need about 10 sheets, and at $17 a sheet it was too pricey. ... the only thing that it may cost me is my sanity

I really can't argue with that. Glad to know you have a fall back when your sanity starts cracking!

Regards,

• 1 month later...