new airbrush advice

richdlc

Hi - wondered if I could pick everyone's brains re: a new airbrush....I'm 20 years behind the times so have no idea what to get

am after an intermediate model, capable of a great all round performance, as well as very fine detail work. Budgeting for up to £200

what would everyone suggest please?

Thanks in advance

rich

I'd recommend either one of the Iwata brushes, or one of the H&S brushes. I have an Iwata HP-C Plus, which is probably at the high end of intermediate. It's probably considered a high-end brush for modelling purposes, and you should be able to get one for quite a bit less that £200. I paid around $220 Australian for mine.

Kev

Rich,

As Kev says either the Iwata or the H&S.

I have the H&S Infinity 2 in 1 which I got from this firm in Southampton:

http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Infinity.html

Terrific service with next day delivery.

They carry a full range of spares, paint bottles etc etc.

Both the Infinity solo or 2 in 1 are both within your budget.

The infinity has the "memory button" which can lock down your trigger at small openings

to help with mottling etc.

HTH

Phil

I would recommend going to a model show, at which there's a reputable trader, and ask to handle some of the brushes. I have fairly large hands, and find that I prefer a large brush (the Paasche VLS,) since it fits more comfortably in my hand. Badger brushes feel too tiny; you might find exactly the opposite, but it's no good discovering that, after you've parted with your hard-earned.

Edgar

Personally, I think the Iwata HP-CS is the best all around brush for the money (easy to find for under $150us) for what modelers tend to do. It's got a spray pattern fine enough to pre-shade and do muzzle staining, but broad enough to paint 1/32 aircraft.

Over the years, I've collected a number of different brushes, but my work horses are several HP-CS's.....one converted to .5mm and the rest left at the stock .35mm.

I do agree with those who have suggested trying out the airbrushes first hand if possible. I have a local art store that carries several brands and they let you spray water through any of them to test them out on one of those mats that darkens with water. It gives a really good idea of what feels right in the hand and what triggers feel good.

Chris

Edited by csavaglio

I have seven...yes, seven, airbrushes. Five are various Iwata, one is a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2-in-1, the last is a Badger Sotar 20/20.

Of all the brushes, my daily use brush is the H&S. In terms of value for the dollar, reliability, etc., its the one to go with in my opinion.

I have an array of Iwatas, HP-BCS, SBS, CS, and two Micron C+. They're all great brushes, but the H&S is the one I pick up for regular use.

Jeff

For what it is worth, I have both an Iwata HP-CS and a Badger 150. I've been very pleased with both of them and find I use the Badger for most of my projects, reserving the Iwata for more highly detailed work. I have the large, medium and fine needles and tips for the Badger and it does very well for the vast majority of my applications. It comes with a paint cup, as well as a bottom feed glass jar (spares can be purchased very economically). Great for most applications, especially for covering larger areas and for priming. Easy to clean and very reliable. I could probably get by with just the Badger, especially with the three different needles and tips. Somewhat less expensive than the Iwata. Depending on what type of work you do you might want to look into the Badger. Replacement parts are easy to come by and not exorbitantly expensive. I use enamels exclusively and it shoots everything I've run through it without problem.

Hope this helps you some in making your choices.

Bob

• 1 month later...