Tamiya F-4 Phantom Aftermarket?

D Bellis

Looking over the info posted in the "Marketplace" section, the data appears to be somewhat out of date since a lot of the Cutting Edge stuff shown as "available" is long gone.

I've looked at Spure Bros. and Squadron, but didn't see much other than a few decal sheets.

Given that, is there anything new out there? In particular, I'd like to get intake FOD covers and Viet Nam era decals (especially 'Triple Nickle' markings) for both the Tamiya F-4C/D and F-4E kits. Any leads to other currently available stuff would be helpful and appreciated, too.

TIA,

D

The decals you’re looking for will be either Cutting Edge, Fox One, Eagle Strike or Twobobs.

All are OOP but turn up on eBay with some regularity; they can get pricey!

Cutting Edge 32004 1/32 F-4C/Ds & RF-4Cs S.E.A

Cutting Edge 32005 1/32 F-4Ds & RF-4Cs

Eagle Strike 32010 1/32 V. N. Warriors F-4E Pt.1

Eagle Strike 32011 1/32 V. N. Warriors F-4D Pt.2

Fox One 32002 1/32 F-4C 366th TFW

Fox One 32004 1/32 F-4C 8th TFW

Twobobs 32002 1/32 S.E.A. Hero’s

Barry

You might find this alignment jig useful to get the outer wings and stabs aligned at the correct angles. nautilusmodels.com The Eduard sets are useful as well.

32-802.JPG

Edited by kdeuser

Thanks Barry. You must have been in the process of posting when I was here last because I didn't see it then. :oops: Looks like I'll be spending more time on eBay...

kdeuser,

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks again,

D

Edited by D Bellis

Thanks Matt!

Got some F-4E decals (a CAM set on eBay). Now I'm getting to the bottom of the list with just Viet Nam era F-4C/D decals "needed". Anyone?

You guys have been great so far - thanks a million!

D

This is a classical problem when a kit is becoming old... Currently, most aftermarket producers focus on NEW releases for obvious reasons. This is somewhat logical in a short term business view. I agree this is nonetheless really frustrating when all the sets are OOP for some years! This is also somewhat stupid when you consider mainstream topics: I'm sure that Tamiya is still selling Phantoms. This means that there is an ongoing even if residal market demand that is not satisfied!

At least the Phantom is well served with PE sets , Eduard do a bunch of cockpit and airframe sets , covering all major varients for the F-4, and that is a blessing ,

Compare to my curent favourite aircraft , the Tornado , where all that exists in a very old, and long OOP set for the IDS, why the heck can't eduard get it into ther heads that there are huge numbers of kits out there , not in the first flush of youth that need PE , and are ignored constantly ,(the Revell tornado being the most obvious) in favour of unecessary tweaks for the latest hyper kit! , (sorry rant mode off)

The decal issue is a major pain , i've managed over the course of the last 5 years , to aquire most of the CE F-4 sheets , but none of them were cheap , and all required a real effort to track down ,

This is a classical problem when a kit is becoming old... Currently, most aftermarket producers focus on NEW releases for obvious reasons. This is somewhat logical in a short term business view. I agree this is nonetheless really frustrating when all the sets are OOP for some years! This is also somewhat stupid when you consider mainstream topics: I'm sure that Tamiya is still selling Phantoms. This means that there is an ongoing even if residal market demand that is not satisfied!

What's weird is that the Aires F-4J cockpit set was only released a few years ago, after the kit had been out for a decade or so. It seems that every so often the aftermarket folks go back an address older kits. Aires also just recently released a cockpit set for the Tornado IDS. For those wanting to add aftermarket to kits it makes it frustrating as you never know when a set might be released. Do I wait or go ahead and build only to see a beautiful cockpit set get released as soon as I close up the fuselage. I wish companies like Eduard and Aires would let us know what their long term plans are. Oh well...

Mark

What's weird is that the Aires F-4J cockpit set was only released a few years ago, after the kit had been out for a decade or so. It seems that every so often the aftermarket folks go back an address older kits. Aires also just recently released a cockpit set for the Tornado IDS. For those wanting to add aftermarket to kits it makes it frustrating as you never know when a set might be released. Do I wait or go ahead and build only to see a beautiful cockpit set get released as soon as I close up the fuselage. I wish companies like Eduard and Aires would let us know what their long term plans are. Oh well...

Mark

When Black Box first came on the scene, they did a bucket load of pit sets for 30 year old Monogram kits.

I'm sure that Tamiya is still selling Phantoms. This means that there is an ongoing even if residal market demand that is not satisfied!

Indeed. Even just a reliable, ongoing source for the basics would be nice, especially decals. CAM did an impressive job of covering Navy & Marine F-4J schemes, but only churned out a scant few sheets for USAF F-4s. While certainly not as colorful, SOME variety of USAF Phantom markings would be nice.

D