1/32 MUG-29A (9-12) (from Revell to Trumpeter)

Guest Martinnfb

Looking good so far! The more I look at the kit, it looks like the windscreen area is too wide on the kit causing a too wide and flat canopy and it also pushes out the fuselage sides under the windscreen causing the LEX's to  look too short or tapered.

'Pinch' in that area about a quarter inch and I think It would cure all the problems around that area but that would require major surgery. I can live with that flaw for now but maybe trumpeter will revise that area in the later releases or at least the UB since that will require a new fuselage anyway. We shall see I guess.

I still say the 1/48 GWH kit nailed the shape of the -29 perfectly IMHO.

Thanks for stopping by Brian, Absolutely , GWH is the top, with all it's little hick-ups it is the nicest Fulcrum out there. I achieved the "pinch" by sanding down the sides of the cockpit tub and glueing the sides of the fuselage to it. It is easy and effective. The windscreen, well You will see tomorrow :)

Cheers

M.

Martin - I love the guy on the boarding ladder extending his hand to shake the gentleman's hand in the cockpit as to say "Congratulations Sir, you have just purchased your first MiG 29 financed by the LADA Corporation of Russia"

hehe, yup. 

Martin,

I've always been partial to the SU-27, but your build certainly shows how great this MiG really looks!

Cheers, Tom

Hello Tom, thank You for dropping the line in this madness. Mig-29 had definitely a tons of charm, brute force, simplicity, electiveness and grace. Proud follower of the famous pedigree 

Truly beautiful aircraft. I only have K. Supposedly it's way off.

But I love your build, comrade.

Hi Ernie, I started the "K" 5 years ago and burned out on LERX, they look more like F-18 than Mig-29. I will definitely come back to it, simply because of all the work and time that I dedicated to this prototype. There is big potential in that kit.

Here are some pictures for you.

IwH5N9Y.jpgzYERBSE.jpgkHM4M8V.jpgpqMFlWe.jpg

Thank You Marcel.

Here is the result of my canopy conversion, the pieces are loosely placed on the fuselage, please ignore the gaps and scratches. The canopy will be closed, so only concern at this point is polishing and tinting.

I am not saying that it's perfect, but close,,,a healthy compromise :)groot3.jpg

Cheers

M.

M6TLCDA.jpg2i1mLv1.jpgnAsyu7w.jpg9mNbmXK.jpgtumblr_nde4cb5SLc1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg

Did I ever mentioned that radome is slightly undersized in diameter and it's cross section is not circular therefore the whole front end suffers this undernourished / pointy  look. :)

Don't be scared , I won't tell anyone.

Edited by Martinnfb

Nice build.

Cant agree with your windscreen swap though the lower edge has an entirely different more subtle upward curve profile as is the angle of the framing.

Sure it will look great done but i wont be swapping mine over...lol.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out im very impressed by the Trumpeter 29 and with some outstanding schemes there are heaps of possibilities.

Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Nice build.

Cant agree with your windscreen swap though the lower edge has an entirely different more subtle upward curve profile as is the angle of the framing.

Sure it will look great done but i wont be swapping mine over...lol.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out im very impressed by the Trumpeter 29 and with some outstanding schemes there are heaps of possibilities.

Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Thank You for the input Darren, you are absolutely right, as I said before it is a compromise between teardrop shape of the A canopy and slightly higher K-canopy. The next option would be  pinching the A- canopy in order to eliminate the overly curved sides. I was contemplating that solution, but it was too risky due the rather brittle nature of the clear parts. Maybe next time. Please do not hesitate to pitch in, I appreciate constructive feedback more than anything.

Cheers

M.

Looking good to me so far...

mig29-34_zpsonqelwhl.jpg

mig29%20canopy_zpswtuty9uq.jpg

mig29%20canopy2_zpsct6upykc.jpg

Fantastic pictures , thank You Brian ! I've  lost priceless shots with my old hard-drive . Nice angles , actually the last one shows very clearly how the IRST sensor housing sits on the frame and not on the glass as depicted  on the trumeter's-windshield. 

Martin, I'm blown away by your absolute expertise on Russian jets, all jokes aside, my friend.

You're LSPs hidden secret, our very own living, breathing research department, and it's truly awesome to see you doing one of two of your own on here. (because I know you're like me and build behind the scenes as well, but still)

You're only too often providing the rest of us with unobtainable pictures, information, and data many times on the exact aircraft we're working on, now for a change, we see you in action. Texas needs more Czech warriors. Come visit us soon. Joy and I'll have the red carpet out for ya.

Thank You Ernie,  If everything goes as planned, maybe next year. You know me, I like everything about Texas , except for those pesky red bugs, you've mentioned before :).Not because they're red, ...:)

Also, I would like to wish you all the best for your B-Day, great health, lots of love, peace and freedom for you and your family.

Lookin' good my friend! Hopefully, once all the dust settles on the home front situation we can get together and I can see this build in person.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank You Wolf, I didn't want to bug you with  phone calls. But I am with you guys every minute, hopefully things are progressing the right direction. Stay strong My Friend.

M.

Awesome builds Martin, your thread is an invaluable source of information. I'm amazed at how a few (many!) little tweaks really change the look of the model, and make it look like the beast it's supposed to be.

I just started the Revell kit with Zacto bits, and was looking for some helpful threads when I can across your builds. My kit will never be 'perfect', but with all the wonderful info here, I think I can definitely make it much better.

Many thanks Martin!

Is that light curing putty that you using?

Great work by the way. Following this thread with much interest

Thanks Jimbo. That is Tamiya epoxy putty. Like a Milliput but smoother and softer.

Awesome builds Martin, your thread is an invaluable source of information. I'm amazed at how a few (many!) little tweaks really change the look of the model, and make it look like the beast it's supposed to be.

I just started the Revell kit with Zacto bits, and was looking for some helpful threads when I can across your builds. My kit will never be 'perfect', but with all the wonderful info here, I think I can definitely make it much better.

Many thanks Martin!

Thank You Sir, thank you for the kind words, if I knew I could send you my Revell with Facto bits on it.

There is one little thing I've noticed on the "K" canopy. The centre section is actualy raised in order to depict the  inner structure of the windshield. So x-acto knife here we go ! :)

HWg93Nb.jpg