1/32 MUG-29A (9-12) (from Revell to Trumpeter)

Guest Martinnfb

Shaka , you know, you want one :)

Thanks Wolf, however there was one little distraction. Had to finish this oob Hawk.

JXXy4uL.jpg

Also, I had to buy a new canopy from Mig-29K/M. The one in the A-version is simply too flat and I can't work with it. Pictures will follow soon.

Cheers

M.

Here are all 3 canopies side by side. We will focus on M/K vs. A canopy.

hxYZ1kW.jpg?1

here you can see the vast difference between these two, please ignore the raised rear section that is related to the different spine of naval prototype.

wRKRcyq.jpg?1

for better understanding of what I am doing here I took this picture.

WtYTTp8.jpg?1

As you can see the front windshield has better proportions on the K (9-31) model , than the new A ( 9-12) -version. Notably... the curved lower edge and it's relation to the hight /width ratio. Overall, the "K" canopy has much nicer definition of this Fulcrum's main focal point.

I hope this silly tutorial can help to find more ways how to address the main downfall of this kit, essentially the same mistake as it is with their 1/72 scale kit. Not bitching, just making note of it.

Cheers

M.

avio33.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

Don't you think the A windscreen looks better? Especially the width of the aft frame and the flat line on the forward frame in front of the glareshield?  I thought it was wrong too when I first saw mine, but after comparing with pics I think the canopy looks pretty accurate. I'm more concerned about the air intakes :hmmm:

Thank You for the constructive input, I know what you mean. I spent fair amount of time studying pictures and the actual canopy as it sits on the model and came to the conclusion that it is worth to cut an expensive kit and to spend money for a new canopy. The reasoning behind my choice is simply the unnatural look of A canopy that looks flat and wide and without the prominent curve of the lower edge. Also from the top view it has a teardrop shape and is completely wrong. I am not claiming that the K-canopy is perfect, however with a little bit of filling and sanding it will (i hope) end up looking like the real thing.

Also there is a notched area that starts just around the seat  and cuts into the fuselage behind the canopy. Trumpeter forgot, didn't noticed? No, why , because this detail is hard to see on the blueprint. dance again I will go with my gut feeling and once done , you guys tell me where I was wrong :)

The intakes are not exactly angled the way as they should be and the shape is mildly mispronounced , but I can live with that ..... for now :)

a3398f69b1ac49fefb22dbd47bbec15f.jpg

Looking good so far! The more I look at the kit, it looks like the windscreen area is too wide on the kit causing a too wide and flat canopy and it also pushes out the fuselage sides under the windscreen causing the LEX's to  look too short or tapered.

'Pinch' in that area about a quarter inch and I think It would cure all the problems around that area but that would require major surgery. I can live with that flaw for now but maybe trumpeter will revise that area in the later releases or at least the UB since that will require a new fuselage anyway. We shall see I guess.

I still say the 1/48 GWH kit nailed the shape of the -29 perfectly IMHO.