Craftworks La-5/5F/5FN

LSP_Ray

This of course is the rare Craftworks La-5/5F/5FN kit. I wish it wasn't rare; I told Shawn I would take like 5 more, plus 3 of the Val he is working on, but even those numbers doesn't seem to be enough to tear himself away from the speedboat models he is working with now.

Anyway, this is a kit dated 2003, resin, with some white metal and PE. It is not up to the standards of recent kits by MDC, Montex, HPH, Silver Wings, etc, but it is pretty well detailed. I will post some pics of the contents soon.

I am really asking for it trying to do a build of this plus my He51 in the Multi-Wing GB with my build rate as it is, but I really like Soviet stuff so we will see how it goes.

I am planning to build this as a La-5FN as I like the two-toned grey schemes and I think the kit is more geared towards that variant, although you have to do some work to create whichever version you want to do as the kit tries to accomodate all three variants. Trying to build a La-5 is the worst as you would have to cut the top of the rear fuselage off through the nearly solid resin and then try to fair in a vacuform piece to create the original razorback shape. I could see that one not going very well!!!

Man I'm green with envy, I tried buying one a few years ago, but didn't get a reply, needless to say I'll be following it closely. Hope you finish it sooner rather than later, then Hasegawa can then announce their forthcoming kit - we can but dream!

Nice kit Ray (Russian fighters are pretty :speak_cool: aren't they?). Good luck with this build Ray, as I am sure that many members will watch such a rare kit come together with much interest :popcorn: (I don't have anything Russian to offer in this GB...Or have I?...).

Cheers

Derek

I didn't even know there was a resin kit for the La-5 series in 1/32nd scale. I will also be watching this build with great interest, Tovarich Ray. Za Rodinu!

Regards,

Jason

Yup, as far as I know this the one and only!

BTW, a few years ago I was reading a thread somewhere that inferred the La-5FN in plan view had straight, parallel lines at the engine access panels a la La-7, not the tapering inward panels of the earlier -5 or -5F. I have yet to find any info indicating whether this is correct or not. All drawings I have of La-5FN's show the taper. If anyone has any info, I would love to hear about it as this kit tapers so might be more accurate as a -5F rather than a -5FN.

Yup, as far as I know this the one and only!

BTW, a few years ago I was reading a thread somewhere that inferred the La-5FN in plan view had straight, parallel lines at the engine access panels a la La-7, not the tapering inward panels of the earlier -5 or -5F. I have yet to find any info indicating whether this is correct or not. All drawings I have of La-5FN's show the taper. If anyone has any info, I would love to hear about it as this kit tapers so might be more accurate as a -5F rather than a -5FN.

Ray, what you might want to do is do a search on the forum site of sovietwarplanes (you can access it from here: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/). As I recall, this very subject was covered in some detail, and hopefully the thread wasn't lost when the site had its recent problems. I'm afraid I haven't done much research on this, as most of my VVS research has gone towards my beloved Shturmovik. Good luck on your research and the build!

Regards,

Jason

Here you are, Ray! I did a little more poking about and found the thread. Luckily it still exists - http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=843.0. All questions should be answered (and no doubt more raised - such is the nature of VVS research!). Since I'm already logged into the site, it took me directly to the thread, so I don't know if it will take you immediately to the thread. If you have any problems getting to the thread, just search "La-5 Cowling" and it should pop straight up.

Regards,

Jason

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Cant believe I missed this one.......

I too have always had a few things on my "that-would-be-super-cool-to-have-but-I-have-no-chance-of-ever-finding-one" list, and the CW La-5 is on that list................along with the ScratchBuilders "Rex" conversion (but I marked that one off of that list awhile back thanks to another LSPer!)

Good on ya Ray!

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. :D

Cheers,

Brian

What!!! Sacrilege!! How come everyone has it and I don't .... :ninja: in our communistic society we should share.everything!

No, I was just drooling over Dave Pratt's la-5 and here we go another one appears out of nowhere. :)

comrade Ray , this is the build of builds! Let me know if you need any blueprints or pics, I am more than happy to contribute to the idea of building a prosperous and brighter future with a vision of better tomorows....

Za rodinu

Martin