Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

That is just too cool, Brian. Did the burners have instructions that stated to do what you did to get an effect or did you just decide on your own?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for lookin in Mark. :D Naw, the instructions did everything (translated from German) but cover that, so I actually E-mailed the owner of PitzModels and asked him.

He went over a slight tutorial and covered the process using a cigarette lighter OR a high heat, heat gun, used to shrink R/C monocoat and the like.

I tried the cigarette lighter and it didnt work too well, and put a bunch of low heat carbon marks on the metal, but didnt produce much if any color. My brother does have said heat gun but I figured my mini torch would give the high heat necessary without borrowing anything.

I just tried it out on the solid thicker parts first to make sure things wouldnt totally distort. They did bend a bit from the heat, but that was too be expected.

Brian

Terrific colours on that metal mate.

Presumably as its a result of annealing then its permanent? Be interesting to see how it stands up under paint (if any) but I'm sure you will have that covered.

Thanks for the pic of your fingerprints, just sent those to the FBI and Scotland Yard, should clear up a few unsolved crimes!

I'm a little worried about the name on your torch though. "Bernzomatic" presumably it does the heating you need then automatically sets fire to the user?

Pee :speak_cool:

Terrific colours on that metal mate.

Presumably as its a result of annealing then its permanent? Be interesting to see how it stands up under paint (if any) but I'm sure you will have that covered.

Thanks for the pic of your fingerprints, just sent those to the FBI and Scotland Yard, should clear up a few unsolved crimes!

I'm a little worried about the name on your torch though. "Bernzomatic" presumably it does the heating you need then automatically sets fire to the user?

Pee :speak_cool:

HAHA! Thanks man! Yeah, probably wasnt a good Ideer to be pawin up the works after I defiled Kate prior to Willie gettin to her. :lol:

I do like the colors too. Not hard to get after working with it for few min. You just couldnt spend too much time in one spot is all

"Bee"

I spent almost the entire weekend (that I was modeling anyway) getting paint on JUST the wheel wells.

I didn't even realize it (sign of a "good time" right?) but after figuring the actual hrs worked on these wells, I bet I have 10 – 20 hrs in the paint, detail, weathering and cleanup alone. Sheesh, the s@#t we do for the love of our hobby! :lol: I tell you, the Macro lens really can take a guy back down to reality.

Well, anywho, like it or not I can only do things 1 way and thats my way (sans Frankie here). I got some basic paint on the wells first.

This started off as medium Flanker blue.

Later after it dried, it looked too powdery blue to me, so I mixed up a new color, using that Flanker blue as the base, and adding in some gray and some white to tone things down.

You can see (I have the wrong bulbs in my paint booth light so its HELLA hard to see the diff in that light) the original Flanker blue color on the left, and on the right is the color I mixed up and ended up with –

LSP_SU30_WIP_91.jpg

You can seen the final results of the color I ended up with better here. You can see the cap of the MM Flanker medium blue in the middle for comparison with my color –

LSP_SU30_WIP_90.jpg

Next was the TRUE b!tch….....ULTRA PITA. I went back over some of the hoses several times while picking out this detail……..cleaning certain areas up, picking out the cylinders in aluminum and pressure hose connections in brass.

Again, Macro lens? As Al might say, "No your lil friend…"

Base paint on, highlighted (no shadow painting here as it will be dark enough in the wells) and dry-brushed, then detail picked out.

I still really like the effect I got, but per usual, atm just a bit bright, This will be tamed with a wash of the FloryModels wash (formerly ProModeller wash) –

Hope you like –

LSP_SU30_WIP_92.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_93.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_95.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_94.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_99.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_96.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_97.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_98.jpg

Couple more......

Edited by Out2gtcha

LSP_SU30_WIP_101.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_102.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_100.jpg

Until next time lads when the wash goes on, fuse wells are painted, and the the final weathering is complete I can finally install these bad boys,

Cheers.

Brian

:clap2: Looking very good ,my friend Like the color, too....Harv

Thanks Harv! I know you have a lot going on with the move and what-not, not to mention the other builds you have going on! :lol: This is one of those builds that is large enough (literally) and important enough to me, that Im not going to rush anything and I will have to take as long as I take to get stuff done.

The only thing Im trying to different with this build is devote more out-right time to building it. I still am not 100% confident about getting this beast complete to have on the table for the Nats but Ive come to the conclusion of "to hell with it"............Ill give it my best effort and push as much as can but even with a deadline way out in Aug, I still might not make it..... :unsure:

Really looking great Brian. Now I'm considering going back to re-do the painting and detailing in the wheel bays to look better like yours. You're quite the inspiration man. :thumbsup:

Thanks Matt!

Hey man, this is an art for as far as Im concerned, so each to their own. Theres nothing ive done here but the same thing as you, just a different interpretation.

Its a touch harder to find larger blocks of time to work on models since the X is still living with me. Even though we are broken up, we remain amicable, friends and what not...........and even as only an "X" she still seems to take up some of my time that I know if she wasn't living with me still, I could and would be devoting to this beast. Im sure I will fall back on my bachelor days and be devoting much more time to the stuff I love, like modeling.

Hells bells, if Annie wasnt still living with me, I might even be able to catch up on my foiled P-40 too! :lol:

Who am I kidding, at the pace I seem to move, I will be lucky to get this huge beast done by itself.

Cheers, fellas and thanks for looking in on me. :D

Brian

Thanks Brian. I do really like your work, and might consider re-painting some of the detail, just to add some more contrast to the blue.

Good to see you working on the build, sorry you don't have more time, just hope you can get this one done in time for Nats in August. :thumbsup:

MO progress MO progress......

Not had too much time on this big girl, but did manage to get some FloryModels wash on the wells –

This stuff really does make things look disgusting at first. Cool thing about this stuff is it is all natural, and wipes off even on flat non-cleared surfaces. This is perfect for me as enamel paint is durable by nature, but the FM wash stains the flat enamel just barely, which is perfect for the grungy look in the wheel wells I was going for.

Started off by just dousing things where I wanted….pretty much everywhere –

LSP_SU30_WIP_110.jpg

Looks pretty overwhelming at first but because it IS all natural, it wipes right off in the correct places, and depending on what finish you put on under it, (say gloss if you want EVERYTHING to wipe right off with no hint of discoloration at all, or flat / matte if you want a bit more staining or dirty look. I like clears; sometimes. But not in cockpits or wheel wells personally.

I like the end result I got and am happy. I just need to spray the fuse part of the wheel wells with the same paint, then I can weather and wash those, and install the wells.

Here are the end results of the wash. –

LSP_SU30_WIP_107.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_105.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_108.jpg

More later when I can upload the other pics.

Cheers,

And as always, thanks for looking in on me.

Brian

Yep, thats it! Looks great to me. Weathering adds so much to a build, doesn't it?...............Harv :popcorn: :goodjob:

Thanks Harv!

I do like the way that weathering gives a build personality. That FM wash is cool stuff, and comes in all sorts of ranges of colors to work with. Mine is a mix of the "dark dirt" and "rust brown" for an oily sludgy look.

I probably took 10 - 20 pics of the wells but only (so far found these 4 acceptable so far) posted whats here, and will find some more detailed/angled shots of them..............then HOPEFULLY on to painting the fuse parts of teh wells!

Ill post some more pics tomorrow afternoon when Im off work and have caught a few zzzzzzs.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

More pics from putting the rest of the FM wash on –

LSP_SU30_WIP_103.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_104.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_106.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_109.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_111.jpg

Thanks once again for stoppin by to check the big girl out….

Cheers,

Brian

Fantastic work Brian! What paint did you use for the brass fittings?

Kev

Thanks Kev. :D Nice words are always appreciated......its a combo of (a few) of the 1mm scale hardware actual brass nuts, and then other Aires fittings molded in the wells are MM Brass enamel. Lovely stuff. Goes on like butter, but is still a touch bright in places, but im leaving it only because of the dark cavernous reaches these things will be stuffed into.......:

tes1782.jpg

I figured it might actually get them seen in the darkness of the cramped SU wells.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha