Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Thanks Chris!! Wish I had known about that earlier, I've already got it all together, but that sure would have saved some work.

As an aside, how is the canopy coming along for the two-seat Flanker? If it's soon, I'll wait to add the photo-etch parts till your parts come out.

Sorry it was too late to help you. Hopefully it might save others a head-ache.

No progress on the two-seat canopies yet.

I'm close to wrapping up the dual Aphid launch rails.

The canopies will be next on the bench.

:beer:

Sorry it was too late to help you. Hopefully it might save others a head-ache.

No progress on the two-seat canopies yet.

I'm close to wrapping up the dual Aphid launch rails.

The canopies will be next on the bench.

:beer:

Thanks a ton. I'm currently on hold until the new Linden Hill decals come out, so I've got some time before I need to tackle the canopy!

Matt

Scarily fantastic work Brian - I am in awe.

Derek

Thanks Derek. :D much appreciated.....as you know sometimes, just knowing someone who knows what they are doing is looking at your thread helps with encouragement.....and the ability to keep going on a build.

There are scary(ish) points like the one I have coming up, that includes getting the fuse together on this big guy.....unfortunately it also means getting the wings glued on at the same time. :unsure:

Brian

Thanks Derek. :D much appreciated.....as you know sometimes, just knowing someone who knows what they are doing is looking at your thread helps with encouragement.....and the ability to keep going on a build.

There are scary(ish) points like the one I have coming up, that includes getting the fuse together on this big guy.....unfortunately it also means getting the wings glued on at the same time. :unsure:

Brian

Brian,

Whatever you are planning to do, I (like many others here) have already been there before, so we are always here to help out if you have a problem. The best advice I can give to you is be fearless - There is nothing that cannot be corrected with a little filler, plastic card, patience and perseverance.

Still enjoying this build :popcorn:

Derek

this is an inspiration for all of us you have god's hand! bow.gifclap2.gifblowup.gif

Thanks quinon!

Kind words always appreciated. Im not sure about having the big mans hand but I wish he could add some speed (and keep the quality up) to my building though!

I do have this coming Monday off for the holiday, so I plan on getting some substantial work done on this beast. Hopefully getting the wings and fuse together. I also have taken that following Fri 6/3 and Monday 6/6 off from work as well, and considering the X is (hopefully) moving out before that, Im thinking I can get a lot of work done on this beast.

Cheers,

Brian

:m0152: go, brian, go.go brian, go. go brian, go!!! :popcorn: Brian, if you, or anyone else in this GB need the Eduard intake parts, I will have a set I will not use. If interested, PM me.....Harv :goodjob:

Thanks a ton Harv!

Thankfully Trumpy has re-designed their intake trunks and they are not like the initial run of SU-27s were. All later model kits including the SU-30 Mkk have the wider re-designed intake trunks.

Really appreciate the offer though..........seriously. Things like this are why I call LSP home. Good friends!

Cheers,

Brian

Best you give it back then mate as he probably needs both of them.

P

HA!

You would think he could just wish himself a new hand.................or however that works.

I have his hand now and I aint givin it back! Imagine all the cool stuff I could handle with it. Oh yikes just thought about that. :hmmm: Could be potentially dangerous now the the X is moving out!

Dont want anything disappearing or anything...........

B

Ok, so I'm back at it………….

I'm zinging along on the intake trunks and the intake boards reproducing the Trumpeter molded on detail.

Here is the OOB piece on the sprue –

LSP_SU30_WIP_155.jpg

Worked by butt off, and scrapped the raised Trumpy detail off, painted that section black, and the outer raised edges intake gray.

I then added the first two PE screen parts –

LSP_SU30_WIP_159.jpg

Next I made the PE vent baffles, which turned out kinda cool –

LSP_SU30_WIP_158.jpg

Sandwiched the whole thing together with a piece of silver dowl and presto. Here is what I ended up with –

LSP_SU30_WIP_157.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_156.jpg

Great, I was thinking right? Just wait……….

While that cement was drying I got paint on the intakes themselves. This later will be weathered slightly, and given a coat of semi gloss, as the intakes I've seen have a slight worn smooth/shinyish look to them –

LSP_SU30_WIP_151.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_150.jpg

Whilst I was please with the way the intake baffles turned out I dry fit things again to make sure I was close.

Here is the way the intake baffle panel is supposed to set –

LSP_SU30_WIP_153.jpg

Here is the way mine set after the PE was added –

LSP_SU30_WIP_152.jpg

OOPS!

Houston we have a problem…………….

So……..off they came…………and managed to not touch the under-laying PE screens.

LSP_SU30_WIP_149.jpg

So while I wait for a new Eduard PE intake trunk set, Its on to the REAL deal……………Mating the fuse and wings together!!

Until next time gents…….

Brian

Hi Brian,

As reiterated from my last post:

The best advice I can give to you is be fearless - There is nothing that cannot be corrected with a little filler, plastic card, patience and perseverance.

I am certain that you have the latter in abundence, so I know that this model will eventually turn out looking awesome (I couldn't imagine you having it any other way after all the effort you have expended upon it thus far!). I agree with you that Russian aircraft have a very unique utilitarian look about them that makes them look very :coolio: .

Derek

Ouch! A little setback, but I'm sure the second approach will be more successful.

:popcorn:

Thanks Tomek! Yes, setbacks as we all are I am used to. If you saw what I did to my past P-51 project (Dixie Boy) you would think I could get over this comparatively minor setback..........considering I pretty much melted the enitre ass end of it, and had to buy a 2nd Mustang kit and graph WHOLE new tail on!

Hey, I just made myself feel a lot better about this..... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Brian