Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Hey Brian, not sure if you've seen these photos yet, but i think they could be a big help for you.

Awesome! These could be very helpful. There are some really cool and unusual pics that I DLed there!

These are walkarounds of your specific plane, and there are some difference to the normal birds. Also, do you know of any difference between an MKK and a MKA? Because the pre-production yellow bird is actually an MKA.

Flanker Walkaround Su-30MKA

Actually the yellow anti corrosion Russian Zinc primer is quite common for almost all of the SU -27 family Flankers; almost all of them going through a test phase of some sort, sometimes with primer only. Other times I found that the pre-delivery schemes like mine, were used as test beds, and flown in the yellow primer with full markings as they would later be delivered to the PLAAF.

Although there are some KILLER shots in those photos, they are actually of a Flanker "C" and not of the aircraft I am doing which is an SU-30 MKK prior to delivery to China.

You can see the differences in the Flanker C, and my MKK; C has smaller vertical fins, as well as angled tips on them. Lower strakes is also slightly differently shaped I think

su30mka_irkutsk_121.jpg

Also this Flanker MKA is not scheduled for delivery outside of Russian and carrys no markings or stencils in this case -

su30mka_irkutsk_0.jpg

The SU -30 MKK (PLAAF version ship # 504) that im doing is decked out for testing in full stencils and markings.

You can also see the larger vertical fins with flat tops here too -

0408380.jpg

"504 Aircraft wears primer and russian registration prior to delivery to the Peoples Liberation Army Air Force of China. Participant at MAKS 2003. Rubber smokes as the aircraft lands at Zhukovsky"

0408377.jpg

Either way, there are some really GREAT shots in there that will still apply to my ship, and will be SUPER handy. Thanks Matt. :D

Brian

Very impressive start Brian - I definately see one of these kits in my future (althoughj I still wanna make an Su-34 Fullback!)...It would probably take me more than four months just to assemble the exhaust cans alone!:lol: (Good luck with your schedule).

One Q: what make is your lead wire and where can I get some?

Best regards

Derek

Hey Derek, thanks for the kind words mate!

Not sure Ill be making the Nationals deadline either. :unsure: BUT im having fun, so Hey HO! Still even so, I just want to have my model on the same table as some of teh best modelers out there.....

As far as the lead wire goes, Im not sure of a UK equivalent, but in the US I got mine in a 6 pack with .010, .015, .020, 0.25, 0.30 and 0.35. You might be able to get it online, as I scored my from a red-neck fishing store here in the US called Bass Pro shops -

10847970_image.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

That is top drawer stuff going on there me old china! really inspirational.

Ironically Iv'e just taken delivery of the 27 UB together with a set of Linden Hill decs and now this thing is winking at me from the stash! Indeed my single seater is beginning to look a little lonely now. Must resist... Got a couple of Phantoms to do beforehand!

Keep up the great work, That Eduard pe makes that cockpit something special. Looks like this is going to cost me money!

Thanks man! Yeah these Flanker kits are actually quite nice. Again im not a huge jet guy, but they are quite satisfying to build AND look at..............IF you can find a place to put them once your done building them! :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words.

Brian

Dog! Great stuff. Love all of those extra details. And that highlighting? Tops!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

I do like the way it is turning out, and the dry-brushing was a perfect technique for the black seats.

Quite a complement coming from you Mark as you have made some VERY impressive models. :D

Brian

Awesome! These could be very helpful. There are some really cool and unusual pics that I DLed there!

Actually the yellow anti corrosion Russian Zinc primer is quite common for almost all of the SU -27 family Flankers; almost all of them going through a test phase of some sort, sometimes with primer only. Other times I found that the pre-delivery schemes like mine, were used as test beds, and flown in the yellow primer with full markings as they would later be delivered to the PLAAF.

Although there are some KILLER shots in those photos, they are actually of a Flanker "C" and not of the aircraft I am doing which is an SU-30 MKK prior to delivery to China.

You can see the differences in the Flanker C, and my MKK; C has smaller vertical fins, as well as angled tips on them. Lower strakes is also slightly differently shaped I think

Brian

Oh, thank you for the clarification on those. I wasn't quite sure, I thought it was of the same plane. That will teach me to just see a yellow plane and jump to conclusions. Are you going to do the yellow bays? Or paint them the usual blue-ish?

Also, is the Russian primer a different color than the U.S. version? It seems like their's has less green in it than the Yellow Zinc Chromate usually does. But that's just me.

Hey Derek, thanks for the kind words mate!

Not sure Ill be making the Nationals deadline either. :unsure: BUT im having fun, so Hey HO! Still even so, I just want to have my model on the same table as some of teh best modelers out there.....

As far as the lead wire goes, Im not sure of a UK equivalent, but in the US I got mine in a 6 pack with .010, .015, .020, 0.25, 0.30 and 0.35. You might be able to get it online, as I scored my from a red-neck fishing store here in the US called Bass Pro shops -

10847970_image.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian - I'll keep an eye out for anything similar in the UK :speak_cool:

Derek

Oh, thank you for the clarification on those. I wasn't quite sure, I thought it was of the same plane. That will teach me to just see a yellow plane and jump to conclusions. Are you going to do the yellow bays? Or paint them the usual blue-ish?

Also, is the Russian primer a different color than the U.S. version? It seems like their's has less green in it than the Yellow Zinc Chromate usually does. But that's just me.

Yeah, I wasnt sure at first as the 503 and 504 MKK testbeds were used for a TON of stuff prior to delivery, Radar, missile weapons systems ect, ect, but in all that no close ups of the wells. From distant pics they appear a light blue / gray color, with teh well doors being red.

The Yellow Russian primer color I still have to make up, but Im starting with some "dark yellow" from Boyd colors, then mixing in some yellow Zinc, white (a LOT of white) and then some light yellow to finish. Im gonna need a CRAP load of it, (in verying shades) so I just need to come up with a specific "ratio" of color to color so I can repeat the mix if I run out.

Brian

Nother update...........

I took care of final touches on the pilots IP hood, gunsight and glass. I used kitchen foil for the mirror bowl on the gunsight –

LSP_SU30_WIP_75.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_76.jpg

Got some finishing done on the IP hoods, as well as taking care of the RIO / backseater's glass –

LSP_SU30_WIP_78.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_79.jpg

After I attached the clear acetate (dipped in future tinted with green food coloring) to the backseater's sight, I decided that with my ham fists, I better arrange something to protect me from myself. Just made a laughable quickie plastic card "tent" to protect things –

LSP_SU30_WIP_77.jpg

I'm satisfied with, and like the overall look –

LSP_SU30_WIP_80.jpg

Tiz all for now gents, off to work in a bit, but not before I spray some paint on the wells. FINALLY got the color I was looking for. More on that later as well as some pics of the Pitz cans "colorizing" process.

Brian

Tee Hee, I had to build a plastic tent over the hud on my Tommycat for protection but yours looks much better than mine!

Sorry to derail your thread mate but,

ATTENTION MR Bradshaw!

Derek, in the Yoo Kay Graham at Relishmodels carries packs of lead wire here:

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/scratchbuilding-and-superdetailing/lead-and-copper-wire.html

Back to topic.

Thank You.

P

Tee Hee, I had to build a plastic tent over the hud on my Tommycat for protection but yours looks much better than mine!

Sorry to derail your thread mate but,

ATTENTION MR Bradshaw!

Derek, in the Yoo Kay Graham at Relishmodels carries packs of lead wire here:

http://www.relishmod...opper-wire.html

Back to topic.

Thank You.

P

Phil: Thank you for the 'heads up' on the lead (and copper) wires :speak_cool:

Brian: That cockpit looks really really good - I am very impressed.:goodjob:

Thanks guys

Derek

Fantastic work Brian. Terrific IP, and a terrific cockpit.

Kev

Thanks Kev! Seems we all have our little deadlines here and there.............I think I build very much like you do..........setting a goal of just trying to get it on the table. Congrats on the Avia Kev it really did turn out fantastic.

I can only hope I get this thing done in time to hit the tables at the Nats. Im going to make that extra effort but like you Im not going to sacrifice anything on the build to do it.

Cheers,

Brian

Really like the look, Brian.Your doing great! Hope to get to do some more on mine soon....Harv :goodjob:

Thanks Harv. Mucho appreciated.........got done earlier blasting some metal with a torch........funsville!

Brian

FLAME THROWIN TIME!!!!!

Hahah, but not really………..

I've started on heat treating the Pitz models exhaust cans. I'm actually very pleased with the results.

This is what I ended up using. Its just a basic pencil torch and some butane to keep it filled during the process –

LSP_SU30_WIP_81.jpg

Here is where I started…..with the interior exhaust PE parts as they had the most PE "sprue" on them on which to test the process.

LSP_SU30_WIP_82.jpg

I initially did some experiments with the exhaust petals, using a normal cigarette lighter on them –

LSP_SU30_WIP_86.jpg

I gave up on that almost immediately as it was evident the flame was not hot enough, and produced too much carbon off the bat.

Starting off with the thicker PE parts I did learn to where gloves, EVEN when things were cool enough to handle as they DEFINITELY showed up during the annealing process –

LSP_SU30_WIP_89.jpg

I was quite satisfied with the color I made on the thicker pieces, so I was REAL curious how the exhaust petals would react. I was pleasantly surprised at the astoundingly cool looking results achieved with the torch.

The first petal pieces I hit were the thicker outer petals that have slight convex shape.

I just dove right in –

LSP_SU30_WIP_87.jpg

The results on the thicker outer petals was a heat coloring only, and I wasn't trying for any "patinaed" type look on these….color only. These will be hit with a chemical "black" solution for brass and nickel then sanded at a later point after assembly

I'm real pleased with the results –

LSP_SU30_WIP_88.jpg

I then moved on to the inner petals that have some cool detail to them.

Here too, I was going for heat treated color only and no patina.

I quite like these results as well –

LSP_SU30_WIP_83.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_85.jpg

The last piece of the puzzle was the forward ring of petals ahead of the cans themselves. Here I tried for coloring as well as a bit of dirty exhaust patina. I broke both of them right in the middle of the group while forking with them, but no biggie as these will end up getting glued down anyway and gap should hopefully not be noticeable at all –

LSP_SU30_WIP_84.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking in on me once again. :D

Brian

That is just too cool, Brian. Did the burners have instructions that stated to do what you did to get an effect or did you just decide on your own?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark