Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Really nice chairs Brian!

I'm looking forward too to seeing the pictures of those cans.

Must be great working on a VERY expensive set of metalwork knowing that if you

screw it up its oop and you can't get a replacement. :(

No pressure of course mate! :evil_laugh:

I'm looking forward too to seeing the pictures of those cans.

Must be great working on a VERY expensive set of metalwork knowing that if you

screw it up its oop and you can't get a replacement. :(

Yeah, funny you should mention that..................I was in the process of "colorizing" the PE parts last night and broke BOTH of teh thinner heat colored PE pieces that goes ahead of the actual cans.

No biggie though I dont believe. They broke fairly cleanly during the colorizing process, and should glue in place without noticing much at all.

They are the only actual "thin" PE parts in the whole group, so I knew handling them would be a challenge.

Also worked on, and finished both of the gun sights light night, so onward and upward!

Pics soon...........

Cheers,

Brian

Excellent! Almost makes me want to buy another Su-27!

Tim W.

Thanks Tim! I never really knew anything about these kits before buying this one. Im neither a die hard jet guy nor a huge Trumpy fan, but the kit SO FAR seems nice.

And in this case of a rough, sometimes archaic Russian jet, Trumpeters sorta-kinda clunky/chunky detail and rivets work in favor here.

Now I have to go out and buy some two part "JB Weld" or equivalent two part glue that is not your normal epoxy and will hold metal well.

Cheers,

Brian

Got the pit(s) mostly knocked out last night with the exception of the back-seater and pilots gun sights.

Here I have to do both gun sights, as well as foil and polish the reflective gun sight mirror for the pilot.

Par usual, nothing perfect here, NOR 100% accurate to the 504 ship, but Hey Ho, its part of the fun, and IMHO while not perfect like I always wish, ended up looking quite colorful and cool –

LSP_SU30_WIP_65.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_70.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_69.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_68.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_67.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_66.jpg

After freeing the wheel wells from their casting blocks and cleaning and trimming the nose well, (which Harv is right, WAY cool detail there!) I decided to fit the main well. There is a bit of air intake trimming the Aires set requires - either that or trimming of the Aires set. I figured the way Aires has done things, is a better continuation of the wheel wells, and is more accurate than the way Trumpy did things –

LSP_SU30_WIP_71.jpg

You can see here the small triangular area right ahead of the main well, that needs to be hacked out of the air intake to make room for some of the more accurate detail of the Aires set –

LSP_SU30_WIP_72.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_73.jpg

Back to work tonight so tiz all for today chaps. :D

As always thanks for stopping in.

Brian

Perfect, no. But having said that, your rendition is just great to look at. I think it came out VERY well. The books do add so much more "eye candy". Hmmm, I wonder what the fit will be like with the Zacto intakes and Aires wells ( that small triangular part) Keep it coming, looking good!....Harv

Yeah, there are some areas of the pit/seats I took liberty with, but I have seen examples ranging all over the place with replacement head pads (where I got the idea for teh red pilots head rest and black RIO headrest), replacement seat pads, and wear beyond any US inventory seat and/or pit. There is a tad bit of extra color here and there but with this being a pre-delivery scheme flown by Russians for the Chinese, I found certain things different than on other standard airframes flown in combat.

Thanks Harv. :D Actually that later versions of the SU-27UB and some of the later (and current I assume) produced SU-27s as well as my SU-30 kits from Trumpy actually have the re-manufactured intakes on them, which are wider and way more accurate than the original intakes.

That is a good question if you are using them on the SU-27 though.............I could also think you could leave the intakes as they are and hack the resin wells too if you had to. I just thought that Aires did a more accurate job on that area than Trumpy did.

I will not judge as to say this or that about who looked at what to change anything, but dimensionally, they are much closer to Mr Zactomans stuff than the old trumpy stuff, but that is neither here nor there.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Looking great Brian! Really an inspirational build dude! Those Aires wells really are great, I'm having a ton of fun painting and weathering them up. :speak_cool:

The only challenge for me is doing everything split, so I can only weather one wheel bay, since I would assume the Russians kept their airshow birds clean like the Blue Angels do right? :rolleyes: Anyone have any ideas or thoughts there?

Looking great Brian! Really an inspirational build dude! Those Aires wells really are great, I'm having a ton of fun painting and weathering them up. :speak_cool:

The only challenge for me is doing everything split, so I can only weather one wheel bay, since I would assume the Russians kept their airshow birds clean like the Blue Angels do right? :rolleyes: Anyone have any ideas or thoughts there?

Im not real sure on that one? I would say you are probably correct, but Im sure they are maybe not quite as particular as the BAs are........maybe.

Its wierd to see ALL of the variations of the SU-27 family jets and the absolutely wide variety of wheel well colors. Ive seen really dark wells similar to yours on some, and then Ive seen some that are almost stark white on some show birds, and then some like the test beds like my primer bird that seem to have a blue like Trumpy recommends but seems to be much lighter and closer to white than a darker blue.......almost a pale medium blue.

Can you find any shots of the wheel bays of any of the Russian knights airframes?

Brian

Im not real sure on that one? I would say you are probably correct, but Im sure they are maybe not quite as particular as the BAs are........maybe.

Its wierd to see ALL of the variations of the SU-27 family jets and the absolutely wide variety of wheel well colors. Ive seen really dark wells similar to yours on some, and then Ive seen some that are almost stark white on some show birds, and then some like the test beds like my primer bird that seem to have a blue like Trumpy recommends but seems to be much lighter and closer to white than a darker blue.......almost a pale medium blue.

Can you find any shots of the wheel bays of any of the Russian knights airframes?

Brian

I can for sure try that. And I feel you about trying to find any consistency in the wheel bay colors. Even in the squadron walk-around, there are four photos on one page, with four different wheel bay colors. Blue like I painted, a lighter blue, white, and even red! on what I think may be a Russian Knights bird.

Stunning pit !!!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Loic! I do like the way it turned out, even if not possible to accurately produce what was in the 503 and 504 test beds like IM making, but then again, thats part of the "artists inturpritation" right?

Or at least thats what im saying.............and im sticking to it! :lol:

Brian

PS - I took some shots of the heat distressed PitzModels exhaust cans yesterday after I got done hitting them with the mini blow torch, so Ill try to post some of those soon too....

Very impressive start Brian - I definately see one of these kits in my future (althoughj I still wanna make an Su-34 Fullback!)...It would probably take me more than four months just to assemble the exhaust cans alone!:lol: (Good luck with your schedule).

One Q: what make is your lead wire and where can I get some?

Best regards

Derek

That is top drawer stuff going on there me old china! really inspirational.

Ironically Iv'e just taken delivery of the 27 UB together with a set of Linden Hill decs and now this thing is winking at me from the stash! Indeed my single seater is beginning to look a little lonely now. Must resist... Got a couple of Phantoms to do beforehand!

Keep up the great work, That Eduard pe makes that cockpit something special. Looks like this is going to cost me money!

Hey Brian, not sure if you've seen these photos yet, but i think they could be a big help for you. These are walkarounds of your specific plane, and there are some difference to the normal birds. Also, do you know of any difference between an MKK and a MKA? Because the pre-production yellow bird is actually an MKA.

Flanker Walkaround Su-30MKA