Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Thanks for E-mailing me those pics Chris! Much obliged.....Got most of the seat painting already done, as Ive started painting the wheel wells...............

Word of caution boys who are building these beasts with the Aires sets............

IT WILL TAKE SOME TRIMMING! DRY FIT, DRY FIT, DRY FIT! In order to get my cockpit tub with the quick-boost seats and Eduard PE side panels in correctly, I had to move the cockpit slightly back, and this made fitting the Aires nose well tricky...........more on that later. Going back to put another coat of Flanker medium blue on the wells.........

Cheers,

Brian

More updates.............

Planning on finishing the pit(s) off this weekend, so that means continued work on the seats. After dry brushing them with aluminum, I moved on to picking out the details, like buckles, seat cushions and multiple brass details, including the headrests -

LSP_SU30_WIP_54.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_55.jpg

In that last pic you can see, the scale hardware threaded nuts I used as the hydraulic hose connections. These are a bit fiddly, but I like that...........and PE. To me, its what separates the good builds from the REALLY good builds. Not sure which if any this build will fit into but Im having fun either way.

The scale hardware nuts come in -

1.0mm -

LSP_SU30_WIP_52.jpg

.76mm -

LSP_SU30_WIP_50.jpg

and the SUPER small

0.5mm -

LSP_SU30_WIP_51.jpg

I used the .76mm nuts here, but later replaced them with the .5mm, that fit the lead wire I used for the oxygen hoses better.

LSP_SU30_WIP_53.jpg

Seats right before final assembly, then a wash and installation -

LSP_SU30_WIP_56.jpg

I figure if the interior/pit/seat pics turn out at ALL decent with some huge digital pics, they will look ok in person.

More probably later today............

Cheers,

Brian

very clean work, brian. dont know if my quickboost seat for the 29 is the same thing, but i just painted it black as by now and still have to do all the PE stuff :blink:

Thanks Karl!

Im not sure if I would even have the fortitude that you have shown with your Mig, so I think your ahead of me right there...

Cheers,

Brian

Ah well I suppose someone's gotta do the usual joke!

YOUR NUTS LOOK GREAT! :evil_laugh:

Hope your eyesight is ok Bub after all that micro surgery.

I'm hoping to get my nuts out soon for some hydraulic lines in the Mossie so that will be nice.

Unfortunately this afternoon I have to patch up the shed roof cos I'm too much of a skinflint to buy a new one.

Keep it up, pits nearly done!

P :speak_cool:

Ah well I suppose someone's gotta do the usual joke!

YOUR NUTS LOOK GREAT! :evil_laugh:

Aw ya big flatterer! :lol: :lol:

Yeah pit is almost there..............Ive got the seats together, and wash applied, and almost time to mate the two..........then Ill be able to glue in the pit...........Ive also started cleaning up and working with the gear wells.

More pics when I wake up. :D

Cheers,

Brian

Nother update and some work actually completed.......

Seats complete and moving on to complete the pit(s) -

LSP_SU30_WIP_61.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_57.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_59.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_58.jpg

And after a wash of the PM dart dirt (will be more wiped off here before pit assembly) -

LSP_SU30_WIP_60.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking in on me

Brian

Got the seats in the completed pit.........just a sneak peak here........Ill take some more and post. (Trust, this looks WAY better in person...........they are right, macro is NOT the modelers friend!) -

LSP_SU30_WIP_62.jpg

I also freed all of the Aires resin wheel bays from their respective pour blocks...........found out then and there that they ALL are going to require some hacking (as Ive found with most all Aires stuff; best mold quality in the biz, PERIOD, but the fit is up to you a lot of the time) to get the pieces to fit -

LSP_SU30_WIP_64.jpg

The main gear bays require some hacking but the front I discovered required more....the Quick boot seats and Eduard PE side consoles I used required the whole tub to be pushed back about 1/16 inch. This lead to this step on the Aires nose gear bay, having to be cut down almost paper thin. Once painted and glued in position, shouldnt be a problem -

LSP_SU30_WIP_63.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

OK, I don't usually comment on flame throwers since I do not build many of them

This is something else, wow :party0023:

Thanks Ron! Nice things said are always appreciated. :D

For those who care or are working on these and have what Harv, Matt and I found which is a slight controversy on what color the intakes are, I have found at least on example of an SU family member (in this case an SU-30) where the intakes are painted and not NMF -

Airintake_1.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, first off, great pit work. I like it a lot! Isn't the nose wheel well amazing? Great detail.Now...are both yours and mine the same? I mean the SU-30 model and SU-27 model? Same molds? Just wondering if I have do the same as yourself to fit pit tub w/PE and the front well. I was reading over my decal sheet instructions and if I had paid closer attention, I would of seen that it states intakes are polished steel, not painted. Now , this is on the UK SU-27's Your seats are amazing. Never noticed the gold color in the real ones ( not seen any, period!) Oh, and I UHH...like your nuts....Harv :rofl:

Thanks Harv!

Hmmm maybe your right about that being an SU-27 and not an SU-30........must have miss read the caption. :unsure:

- Yeah, Chris "Zactoman" himself sent me some great pics, that showed similar things as I saw on the "ejection site" for the SU-27 family Zvezda K-36ZD ejection seat. Now mine are by no means 100% accurate color wist @ all, as I usualy like to make my model pit colors brighter than the 1:1 just to be able to pick up on things, but there are quite a few brass fittings and what not -

K-36seat.gif

k36dm5.jpg

k36dm4.jpg

:lol: most of these colors I just chose because I thought they looked cool or matched what and where I was working, not necessarily because they were 100% accurate.

Brian

I WELL and TRULY canNOT stand it any longer............the foiler in me wont stand for it any more.........

I have to start on these -

pitz_1.jpg

In the midst of finishing teh pit(s), ive delved into these and have started experimentation with colorizing things a bit....

Brian

is the pitz set OOP? cant wait how it goes together

Me too. Ive just gotten done with some work on these...........pics to come. :D

I think it is OOP Karl.

:( Mirko from Pitz models, stated I was the "second to last customer". TIz a shame, they are beautiful pieces. I guess if the overall price scared some away, yeah, but these could put my build from just ok, to great...........I hope.

Brian