MiG-23ML Flogger G

TimW

Matt--

Overall, this kit builds up very nicely--very few problems with the exception of getting the engine into the tail section. I found that some of the stuff that goes on the engine itself wouldn't fit into the aft end of the fuselage. I was originally going to go with having a displayable engine, but gave it up as a bad idea after having lots of fit issues. I got it in there after removing some stuff, though.

The other problem (something of a Trumpeter feature) was the vertical fin--there's always a gap so wide you can see Irkutsk through it. Tamiya masking tape and putty took care of that.

Otherwise the kit is pretty well engineered. The cockpit and wheel wells are Aires replacements and they went in nicely. The swing-wing feature is particuarly well done and was less trouble than expected.

Another interesting feature--one of our hobby club guys (ex-AF) said that the '23 was engineered by the Soviets so that F-4 spare parts could be used on it. I guess they figured on using our stockpiles in West Germany....!

Take care,

Tim W.

Thanks Tim. It sounds like a nice kit, just either assemble the engine separate for display, or leave off the extra stuff?

Wow, that's a crazy story. Guess they really thought it was going to come down to an all-out war against the Phantoms. Wonder if any of our planes could fly with their parts....?

Matt

Thanks Tim. It sounds like a nice kit, just either assemble the engine separate for display, or leave off the extra stuff?

Wow, that's a crazy story. Guess they really thought it was going to come down to an all-out war against the Phantoms. Wonder if any of our planes could fly with their parts....?

Matt

As far as use of F-4 bits, I think they were limiting things to assorted fastners, pipes, wires, and other stuff like that. However, two stencils on the 23 are in English for hydraulic fluid and oil--they definitely planned to use captured POL stocks, including JP-4 fuel (in use during the 70s before the 1990s switch to JP-8).

Regards,

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done,Tim. Are those kill markings on the intake? Where do they come from?

Mike--

They are mission markings rather than kill markings for missions flown in Afghanistan, a mixture of air cover and tactical air support--they come with the Linden Hill decal set.

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tim. Prolly not a heap of air-to-air in that conflict.

No, not a lot, though supposedly Floggers mixed it up with Pakistani F-16s and Iranian helicopters at various times.

Tim W.

Well done, Tim, the model looks very impressive. I am waiting for the Trumpeter MiG-27 to arrive. A very cool looking aircraft in my opinion.

Best regards,

Hans

Well done, Tim, the model looks very impressive. I am waiting for the Trumpeter MiG-27 to arrive. A very cool looking aircraft in my opinion.

Best regards,

Hans

Agreed! An utkanos would be cool and make for a nice contrast with its air-to-ground configuration.

Tim W

Hi Tim,

was wondering what paint brand you used for the cockpit? That is some excellent work there mate!

Cheers

Alan

Alan--

I used Model Master's Russian Cockpit Blue Green. You might have to lighten it up just a tad as it dries a bit dark.

Cheers,

Tim W.