Ar-196A-3

scvrobeson

I really appreciate you detailed build report, but, maybe I could ask you for a favour: your pictures are very large so it takes ages here with me for just this single page to load all of them. Would it be possible to reduce the picture size to about 100kb each for the next ones?

Thank you very much!

Thomas

Sure man. I can give that a try. Glad you're enjoying the build and looking in.

Awesome. I got you beat though, picked my kit up at a local show here in Los Angeles for 25 bucks out the door! It is an unbelievable value at 40. A real gem. I am looking forward to seeing more of you build! Keep up the great work.

Wow, that's an even better deal than I scored! Lucky! Yeah, it's an amazing deal for that much plastic for that little money. makes you really think about why some manufacturer's charge so much money for less kit.... :BANGHEAD2:

Gee, with a kit like this I'd think you'd be more enthusiastic about it! LOL.

Looks like a very nice kit. Might cause me to rethink Revell, at least some of their new tool stuff. I love the detail work you've done. Very nice. And thanks for the detailed WIP. These aren't my normal cup of tea, but looking at the photos you have posted I might have to rethink that. So many kits, so little time to build!

I'm also very envious of the time you have to devote to this kit to. I have to get build time in, especially now that "honey do" season is here, in short snatches. Really cuts down on my modelling productivity and makes it hard to get a good build flow going. Too bad SWMBO isn't more understanding about my creative needs!

Bob

Haha, okay Bob. I'll try and be a bit more enthusiastic from now on! Every sentence ends with an exclamation point!

yeah, this new generation of big scale Revell kits really are amazing. The Ju-88, the Typhoon, and now this one are really in a completely different league from their old stuff. I can't wait to see what they do with the He-111 when it comes out in a few months.

Yeah, I do have quite a bit of time, I'm on spring break from college this week, but it really the kit, not me. I got the entire float assembly put together in maybe ten minutes? It really fits that well and works that quickly, I think my longest build session on this was about half an hour, and that was to paint and detail the cockpit up.

Thanks for looking in, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the build

SCV, you obviously work a lot faster than I do. Must be all that youthful energy. Good on you.

Like you, I'm waiting for Revell's He-111 with great anticipation. I came here building mostly Pacific Theater planes and being a big fan of Grumman's planes. But, over my relatively short time here I've seen so many great Spitfires and Hurricanes that I find myself being drawn in that direction, even to the point that the last kit I bought was Trumpy's 1/24 Hurricane Mk. I. I've always had an abiding interest in the Battle of Britain, since I was a kid, and I find that drawing me in that direction as well. I have to admit to that I'm waiting with great anticipation for the upcoming 1/32 B-17G. The Flying Fortress has always been my all time favorite airplane and to have a large scale kit coming out is nearly too good to be true.

I do have to make the observation that the work I see here, yours included, inspires me when I sit down at my bench. In all honesty, I'm a hack compared to so many of you guys who share their work here, but at the same time, you same guys do inspire me to try to be a little better hack each time I sit down at the bench. To try a new technique, many of which I pick up here, or just to try to do something I've done time and time again just a little bit better. I guess I've digressed from telling you how much I like your work on the Arado, but it seemed like a good time to throw out a general "thanks".

Bob

following with interest as I feel the urge to get this kit!

Thanks Shawn! You really should get it. It's an awesome kit, really nothing to argue with at all, except the lack of instrument decals and swastikas, but those are pretty easy to source. I say go buy it, you won't be disappointed. :yahoo:

SCV, you obviously work a lot faster than I do. Must be all that youthful energy. Good on you.

Like you, I'm waiting for Revell's He-111 with great anticipation. I came here building mostly Pacific Theater planes and being a big fan of Grumman's planes. But, over my relatively short time here I've seen so many great Spitfires and Hurricanes that I find myself being drawn in that direction, even to the point that the last kit I bought was Trumpy's 1/24 Hurricane Mk. I. I've always had an abiding interest in the Battle of Britain, since I was a kid, and I find that drawing me in that direction as well. I have to admit to that I'm waiting with great anticipation for the upcoming 1/32 B-17G. The Flying Fortress has always been my all time favorite airplane and to have a large scale kit coming out is nearly too good to be true.

I do have to make the observation that the work I see here, yours included, inspires me when I sit down at my bench. In all honesty, I'm a hack compared to so many of you guys who share their work here, but at the same time, you same guys do inspire me to try to be a little better hack each time I sit down at the bench. To try a new technique, many of which I pick up here, or just to try to do something I've done time and time again just a little bit better. I guess I've digressed from telling you how much I like your work on the Arado, but it seemed like a good time to throw out a general "thanks".

Bob

Thanks Bob. The name's Matt by the way. You're far too gracious, I'm really not that good, I still try and get better and better with each build, and try and learn new techniques from the other guys here. It's a ton of fun being on here where everyone is supportive and really helpful. Thanks though for the great comments, it's a big motivation to know people are enjoying my build.

Yeah, I can't wait for the He-111, I might have to break down and buy it, even at around $100. The problem with the B-17, is that with everything that happened with Wingscale, I just don't know if I could in all good conscience buy it, or the Meteor, which is the plane I was really looking forward to. But so goes life. I've actually looked at the Hurricane, and my hobby store had it 50% off, but my 1/32 PCM Hurri was big enough for me to work with. Glad you like the build, and I should be able to update again soon. :speak_cool:

Good evening everybody. Have another update here for those reading along.

Ar-196029.jpg

Ar-196030.jpg

Ar-196031.jpg

The engine is now completed, with the exception of the exhausts, which will hopefully get painted tomorrow. I was suspicious about the painting instructions, but looking online, the top of the cylinders were actually blue like that!

Ar-196032.jpg

Here's the accessory bay behind the engine. I'm going to open up these panels, so had to make sure everything was painted and weathered. I'm doing this one OOB, or else I would add some more hoses and wires inside. But so far I just did some oil washes and drybrushing to try and show the detail in the dark compartment. Tried to do some oil and fluid staining off of the tank in there, not quite sure what exactly it is.

Ar-196033.jpg

And the small amount of filling and sanding I had to do so far really, and this was just a few minutes worth, just to fix a small step between the fuselage and the ring in front.

Ar-196028.jpg

And finally, an overall shot of the Arado, with the right wing removed just to make life easier. It will be mounted at the very end, after painting and decaling is all done.

That's it for this update, hope everyone's enjoying the build. Hopefully some more progress will happen this week, and I'll leave you all with one more teaser photo of the next set of parts to be worked on....

Ar-196034.jpg

THE INFAMOUS FLAT PACK CANOPY. Parts are off to be Futured, then hopefully assembled without too many problems.

Hey guys. I've actually got two updates for you today. The glass parts have been assembled, and those caused more than a few headaches, but I got it all together, and Futured. They really are nice and clear, and I can tell that's why Revell molded them the way they did, just getting rid of the molding tabs was a problem, and i think a couple of them will be visible in the end.

Ar-196047.jpg

All of the canopy parts are now mounted, and the few tiny gaps are filled in with Testor's Clear Part Cement, since it dries clear and strong, and is easily cleaned up.

Ar-196046.jpg

Ar-196045.jpg

The main canopy is just Liqui-Taped on, since I'm going to display it open in the end, but need to block off the interior during the painting stages.

Ar-196048.jpg

And here's the rear canopy. There are a couple of small gaps, that were just the design of the kit, to allow for mounting the canopy open or closed. But they have now been filled in with Clear Parts Cement, and have dried clear, and will eventually be painted over.

As you can see, the top sides have been primed, using Mr. Surfacer 1200 through the airbrush. It highlighted a couple of very small problems, but really not much, good job to Revell. :speak_cool:

Hey there. Time for part two of my update for today. After sorting out the couple of problems with the primer, I was able to move on and start painting, doing the underside RLM 65 first. This was put on with Model Master Enamels, then weathered with some black and white added to the base paint, all thinned with lacquer thinner. Now I have to give this a day or so to really set up, then I can start on the upper side splinter. :speak_cool:

Ar-196040.jpg

Ar-196041.jpg

Ar-196044.jpg

Ar-196042.jpg

Ar-196043.jpg

I hope those pictures show the weathering to good effect. What I did was lighten the paint, then squiggle and mottle it all over the airframe, and then add black into the base coat, and repeat the same process, to really break up the monotone, and provide a 3D kind of effect to the paint. After that, I darkened up the paint a bit more, and then thinned it down a lot, and then dusted it over the panel lines and raised detail, leaving them with a nice, dark post-shading instead of taking the time to pre-shade it. I've found I can be more subtle with this approach than with a pre-shade.

Hey guys. That's all for today's updates, I hope everyone is enjoying the build, and feel free to comment or critique. Hope to update again soon, probably tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks Thor! Glad you're enjoying it! How's that Macchi build going? That thing was pretty awesome! :party0023:

Actually, I am working on it as we speak. I have removed the errant squadron codes from the left side of the fuselage, and applied the correct ones. I have fixed the damaged gear doors, and have found a color combination for the exhausts I like. I have redone some of the chipping, as it was a bit too heavy the first time out. All I have too so is figure out the least-invasive way to repair the horizontal stab seam that split, and then it will be time for flat coat and final weathering....Thanks for asking.

Anyway, did not want to hijack your thread. I love the look of your build here. Might have to build one of these someday...If I can ever get the Macchi off my bench!!!!!

Take Care-

THOR :ninja:

Actually, I am working on it as we speak. I have removed the errant squadron codes from the left side of the fuselage, and applied the correct ones. I have fixed the damaged gear doors, and have found a color combination for the exhausts I like. I have redone some of the chipping, as it was a bit too heavy the first time out. All I have too so is figure out the least-invasive way to repair the horizontal stab seam that split, and then it will be time for flat coat and final weathering....Thanks for asking.

Anyway, did not want to hijack your thread. I love the look of your build here. Might have to build one of these someday...If I can ever get the Macchi off my bench!!!!!

Take Care-

THOR :ninja:

Awesome! I really enjoyed following along with the Macchi build, good to see it's still going along. Can't wait to see some more progress on it. The Arado really is a top-notch kit, and a phenomenal bargain.