1/32 P-51D Tamiya

rafju

fyi, for those in the UK who don't like paying customs charges or post office ransoms, LuckyModel told me they will be doing a pre-order for this kit too (which is rare for them)

should start May time they said

N

Yes. They spent an entire day at NASM in DC. The NASM airplane appears to be the only existing Mustang that is still in its original WWII configuration from stem to stern. It was retired without having been massively modified, and has been in the museum's collection for many decades. Apparently they found out that most other Mustangs have post-war mods that they weren't aware were post-war mods. NASM has tons of information on the P-51, of which they availed themselves as well.

Upshot, this ought to be every inch the equal of the Spits and Zeros, only Mustang shaped! I'm STOKED!

:)

But this went down about three years ago?...so Tamiya really spent some quality time on this Project. But dont spend all of your cash on the D.save some. Super Stoked as well.

Edited by williamj

some additional details from Marcos Nicols posted on the P-51 thread on Hyperscale, (he'seditor of Tamiya modeling Mag .. so he should know what he's talking about

Hi folks,

The new 1:32 P-51D will come with full wing guns & ammo belts, two tails (with & without filets) plus fabric & metal-covered elevators, three canopy styles, two instrument panel types, two types of seat, two types of exhaust. Two types of drop tank are included (75 & 108 gallon), full internal radiator details, seated pilot in flight-gear plus a standing figure in leather flight jacket. Movable control-surfaces, up/down landing gear, PE details as per Spitfires. Micro-magnet fixed cowlings (as thin as this Spitfires') to show off the Packard-Merlin.

Markings are all for 8th AF; 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group; 487th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group; 79th Fighter Squadron, 20th Fighter Group. More news soon!

Can't wait to get building it...

Ta for now,

Marcus

TMMI

so the question is can anyone guess from the unit details, just what airframes will be featured on the decal sheet!

i was wondering: how about THE point of interest/conflict/controversy concerning the main gear bays, this being neglected with almost every make of manufacturer and being the subject of lots and lots of discussion, to say the least.

Apparently this "glitch" in every model kit on the mustang had some "screaming" threads on almost every modelling site, especially this one, and consequently the AM guys saw it fit to produce a "correct" gear bay.

Jack

Edited by Jack

Also time to start practicing with NMF Alclad II.

:speak_cool:

You mean practicing graining, and applying FOIL!

i was wondering: how about THE point of interest/conflict/controversy concerning the main gear bays, this being neglected with almost every make of manufacturer and being the subject of lots and lots of discussion, to say the least.

Apparently this "glitch" in every model kit on the mustang had some "screaming" threads on almost every modelling site, especially this one, and consequently the AM guys saw it fit to produce a "correct" gear bay.

Jack

To tell you the truth AFAICT there has not even been any AM manufacturer who has gotten the gear bays 100% correct (Correct me if Im wrong here Mustang experts). I used the Aires set on my P-51D "Dixie Boy" my last project, and recall that the vertical wall that is supposed to extend all the way out, that you speak (and that Has, and Dragon both missed) of, carried out further but still did not go out all the way like the 1:1 bird.

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for your input, especially on the Aires product, bought it myself a few weeks ago, didn't use it yet though, but the point is would Tamiya also make a correct main gearbay, because i didn't see it mentioned in Marcus' list of goodies on this P51 kit.

So if all the commotion regarding its quality is valid, then this item should be present as a fact IMHO.

J.

Question: How many are y'all buying?

Pre-ordered three; one for 303 Squadron Polish Air Force, one RCAF post-war (likely 424 Tiger Squadron from Hamilton (Mount Hope), Ontario), and one RAAF, or RNZAF,not sure of post-war or wartime. I do like that Southern Cross rudder however! I have sets of Aeroproducts prop blades for P-51Ks. I'll probably buy one more from our LHS for 8th Air Force, likely 20th FG or 356th.

And if they do eventually release a Mustang III (P-51B/C) it will be even more painful for my wallet...

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Gee, let me guess what next year's "KIT of the YEAR" will be. Hmmm...wait....don't say anything yet let me guess. Hmmmmm.... gosh, boy this is a tough one. Okay, look ...let me think on it and I'll get back with you guys later.

Still thinking,

TENCH

Edited by Tench