S.E. 5A

Hacker

Wingnut Wings gets my vote unless you want Viper power - then Roden is the only game in town (for now.) The WNW molds are crisper and cleaner, the decals are superior with more scheme choices and the instruction manual is just about everything you could ask for (and can be downloaded from their site for a preview.) I am not an employee of WNW nor am I receiving any compensation for this opinion.

The two companies depict different types of S.E.5a aircraft.

- There are two Roden kits, one kit that depicts an airframe powered by a Wolesley Viper engine and one one kit that depicts an airframe powered by a Hispano Suiza 8A.

- The WNW kit depicts an aircraft powered by a Hispano Suiza 8A engine.

The coolant radiators and the upper engine cowls related to the two types of engine are different.

Wolseley Viper engine:

se5a.jpg

Hispano Suiza 8A engine:

SE.5a%20Hisso%20B4897%20RAF%20built%20and%20the%2047th%20aircraft%20from%20contract%20No%20A.S.9615.jpg

If you want to build a model with a Wolesley Viper, Roden is your only game in town (without cross-kitting or scratch-building).

I have the WNW kit and the Roden kits. The WNW is more detailed, has finer detail and I love it. Having said that, either Roden kit is not bad either and can easily be built into a nice model. I actually have a couple of Roden Viper-engine kits if you are interested in a trade.

HTH

Radu

I think Encore does that kit with resin bits for the modified areas. Bishop's plane was not a standard machine.

HTH

Radu

Encore does the McCudden SE-5A, which I have. It's basically the Roden kit with lots of brass PE and some resin bits, including the modified cockpit as per the aircraft McCudden flew. Comes with a nice figure of Captain M as well.

Yet another one on my "to do" list! :)

Tim W.

Encore does the McCudden SE-5A, which I have. It's basically the Roden kit with lots of brass PE and some resin bits, including the modified cockpit as per the aircraft McCudden flew. Comes with a nice figure of Captain M as well.

Yet another one on my "to do" list! :)

Tim W.

Encore now also offers a McCudden conversion set for the Wingnuts kit.