Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

I'm with Harv on this one and I know opening up the speed brakes is not prototypical, but it just looks so good.

Keep 'em coning

Peter

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I might still leave them open just enough to see my extra detail and etch etc.

In the meantime

Riveting stuff...... Not everyones bag, but slight stressed skinning and very very fine riveting underway.

2apr%20147_zpshi2ysozk.jpg

As always I appreciate your feedback, in this case I am going to go with your suggestions on that airbrake one!

Cheers

Anthony

Do it on the rollout..taxiing off the runway..all flaps out speed takes extended..canopy might be down though

True, but have you seen my figure painting??? Oh haha it would look like Daffy Duck in the cockpit! Every attempt has turned out looking like a Disney production...LOL

Ok, so this is a time consuming task. I have done quite a bit of testing on scraps to practice riveting and the faint effect I am trying to achieve as well as some 'stressed skin' effect.

Most of the A-4 wont have any stressing on the skin, but there are a few areas where it is quite evident at certain angles (certain angles is the key here). My method if anyone is interested is to draw the panel line to be 'stressed' and then lay a piece of Tamiya tape down each side, leaving a 1mm gap. Then using the edge of a piece of 400 grit I sand in the gap. Then I remove the tape and you are left with a depressed line. This is then sanded with 6-800 grit to blend in and get a smooth junction.

I was just about to lay some Mr Surfacer down and I quickly grabbed my phone and took a quick snap....sorry about the quality, but you get the idea.

IMG_1045_zps6hh8tjrj.jpg

Then after a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 to find any imperfections that needed attention and a buff up. Then another coat of Mr Surfacer.

I don't know if you can see it here...hopefully you will have to strain, but it is more noticeable at certain angles than others and hard to photograph!

d68ca7bf-7f0b-4842-af92-01731dea360c_zps

I think once I get all the rivets over it I will get the effect I am after.

Here is '14' so you can see what I am about

NZ6214_887_F1000009detail_zpsyo9kviey.jp

I have done quite a bit of riveting and happy with the result, I will post more when I get more done. I am doing both sides at the same time as I could imagine looking at one side finished and going....oh no, I cant do it again and putting her back on the shelf of doom LOL.

Cheers and advice/suggestions/improvements always appreciated!

Cheers and thanks for looking in

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

Brilliant - the riveting and the stressed skin looks fantastic and you make it sound so easy.

I had a flight instructor many moons ago who was found of saying:

The easier you make something look, the more you have mastered it!

Compliments to you my friend

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks, you guys are way too kind and I appreciate all your encouragement!

I am quite a way through riveting both the intakes, and I think the effect will be what I am looking for when finished.....well I hope so, there is no turning back now!

I will update you all when it is riveted. I will splash a wash through it so you can see them.

Thanks again all, and thanks for following along!

Cheers

Anthony

This is a slow painful progress, although I am kinda enjoying it.

My "Rosie The Riveter' I brought several years ago is brilliant, however it leaves square indents. After I mark out the line I run Dymo dape along it.  I then run the wheel along the edge of the tape. I then get my Hasegawa Tritool scriber and press eack rivet individually to make a shallow circle.  I then remove the tape and buff with a sanding sponge and then through a magnifier inspect them all to make sure I am happy.  Here is a section I am working on.  Ignore the thickness of the white rectangle of plastic, this will be sanded to scale skin thickness and then the lot will need priming.

Anyway, here is what I am doing. I am working panel at a time on both sides.

DSC_0143_zpsad9audgy.jpg

As I am going back down the fuse I am only doing the odd stressed panel line as per the actual airframe. The fin however gets a lot more

Cheers and thanks for looking in

Anthony

Thanks Zac, nice to see you around LSP!

Maybe we can catch up at Omaka for a beer the airshow if you are going?

I have got almost half the fuselage all riveted and stressed. I am really pleased how it is looking. I sprayed Mr Surfacer 1200 on lightly to check all my rivets were even and not too deep. I ran a light wash over a small section to see how it looked, then lightly covered it again. You can only really see the stressed skin at a few acute angles.

image2_zpsnfhu98bs.jpg

Quite an intensive job doing this, but I am hoping the results will be worth it.

Thanks for looking in chaps

Cheers

Anthony