Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Anthony, I notice in one of you posts you show a close-up of the little vanes on the top of the wing, do you happen to have dimensions for those? 

Cheers,

Marcel

I could measure one off an actual A-4 if you like, but Eduard do an etch set for them with a template to get them all straight and in their correct position. Let me know if you want me to go out and measure them all the same

Cheers

Anthony

I could measure one off an actual A-4 if you like, but Eduard do an etch set for them with a template to get them all straight and in their correct position. Let me know if you want me to go out and measure them all the same

Cheers

Anthony

Thx Anthony, no need then, I will just end up using the Eduard set, wasn't aware of it.

Cheers,

Marcel

I am using Eduard part 32305 which includes slat inserts as well.  Says A-4E but same as 'F' of course

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anthony......not I better get back to my airbrakes LOL

I have looked at the Eduard parts a little and am wondering if I may take a different route with some standard angle section when the time comes. 

If you do ever get the chance, would be nice to have those measurements... but absolutely no rush at all.

Cheers,

Marcel

Righto, I have just been experimenting with riveting with my 'Rosie the Rivetter'

This is an area that worries me a bit because the A-4 is flush riveted. However at certain angles and level of paint staining etc they can show up. I know this is personal taste, so my approach is to apply them because it is 32nd scale and I want to give the model some sort of 'in service feel' which I believe adding very very fine surface detail will achieve. I suspect I wont be running a wash through them all either as I don't want it to look like 'Mister 'pinhead'or whatever his name was off that awful movie.....

I have to thank Chuck & Marcel here as I like their approach for different reasons....thanks guys!

First up, my Airbrakes needed attention for a couple of reasons. They were full of sink marks and the outer skin was massively oversize. I sorted these issues out with much CA and Mr Surfacer until I was happy. Initially I started using Eduard for the Airbrake edge trims to the brake itself, however I primed them and although ok decided to rip them off and do my own. O layed 0.10 strip around the inside edge and re-riveted them for a much tidier result. I will still however use the innder skin as that is beautiful and will leave an awesome result.

I used Chucks method next and ran a wash with my Tamiya panel accent to highlight my rivet work to see how bad it was. The nice thing about doing this is that you see any fine blemishes in the finish. I lightly buffed the surface which revealed the rivets and panels I wanted and removed any scratches left behind.

As you can see here after buffing they are very light. I have gone through the Mr Surfacer in places but under a magnifier the rivets are still there.

DSC_0004%205_zpsraadaio3.jpg

Just working on the other side with final riveting in prep for a final wash and buff. Maybe later today I will get some paint on the insides (med US Interior green-not red) and get the Eduard top skin glued on?

Thanks for looking in gents

Cheers

Anthony

Oh, the old camera is brutal isn't it! LOL

As you can see the Kiwi A-4K's got green interiors to their airbrakes....not always matching as you can see, however mine will.

Photo credit Beau Goff via the Friends of the RAN/RNZAF Skyhawk Facebook page.

13164177_1144389798945469_36603389010002

The interiors and exteriors are now riveted and buffed up. I have the Eduard inner skins primed with Mr Metal Primer. However I felt the Airbrakes themselves looked a little skinny, so I shimmed them out with 0.15 strip, superglued their edges and have sanded them all smooth., little more detail to add to the edges and then off to the paintshop later this afternoon if I get the time.

DSC_0004%204_zpsdr1w5imw.jpg

Most of this detail will be lost as it is very rare to see an A-4 on the ground with the brakes open, but I will open them 'just' enough to see the interior as often on the ground they 'cracked open' a little...poss hydraulic bleed? I know once at Ohakea on a visit I saw someone pull one open a bit more to look at something inside.

Anyway progress albeit slow

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

Holy Cow, the air brakes look fantastic. I surely would leave a bit of the 'how it really looks' to the side and leave the air brakes open enough to appreciate the detail work ..

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Yes Harv, I would like them open more, but I am fighting with the concept of doing it 'in service' or 'on display'????

Got a reply from my good friend Don, he worked on these for a long time in the RNZAF

Yes the speedbrakes did crack open just a tiny wee bit once the engine shut down, but not enough to see inside. Yes you could pull them open to inspect inside. You could push them shut as well. Each side was totally independent so you could pull one open and still have the other one shut.

What to do, what to do......

Edited by Anthony in NZ