DH9a

TimW

Ahh, another de Havilland design :speak_cool: .

Slowly I'm realizing why Wingnut Wings is so popular. Seems like a beautiful kit!

I'm sure it will be fun to watch.

These kits are amazing...I keep planning to do some other project, but get drawn back in. I've done some preliminary work on the LVG, but the Nineack won the internal debate on which one to really go with first.

I will probably do the USMC version.

TimW

Early pictures. I have been experimenting more with oils "burnt umber" to get that wood grainy effect. Probably looks a bit darker in these pictures than it is in reality, but I'm happy with it.

You can tell this is a later-war aircraft design--not quite so much rigging on the interior bits!

BG010.jpg

BG012.jpg

BG014.jpg

More to come. I've just started on the impressively large Liberty Engine. This is a big airplane compared to the Harry Tate!

I'm inclined to do the USMC version, but have been reading of late about the RAF units involved in the intervention in Russia, but am lacking details on color schemes/markings, etc. I'm assuming 47 Squadron in South Russia had fairly standard markings. Not sure about the North Russian detachment, though.

We'll see.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Really good looking cockpit, Tim!

I like your wood grain effect. That's something I would like to try and learn one day.

A bit of dry sponge (or paper towel, I have found) and the oil paint seems to work--you can lay it on initially a bit strong, but it comes off easily (as it takes a long time to dry).

Tim W

I'll be watching with great interest, too. I bought one for myself for Christmas and it is a truly beautiful kit. It's about third in line to build. I am also looking for a silver paint scheme. Take a look at Aeroscale for a couple of interesting builds.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

And now the mighty 400 hp Liberty Engine...

Volc015.jpg

And a better lighted shot of the cockpit details.

Volc016.jpg

Hopefully more progress soon.

Tim W.

Nice engine there, Tim!

I must say I liked more your previous bigger pictures :P

Looking forward to seeing more :beer:

Thanks--still working on the photo technology. I'll see what I can do about making them larger--it was easier when I just had to upload off my desktop! :)

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...

Awright. Almost to the point of more pictures. Horizontal and vertical stabilizers on, lower wings next and then some initial painting.

Stay tuned.

Tim W.