Trumpeter Skyhawk tweaks

thierry laurent

I will make them "seamless" and be contoured on the inside.

How about a "super Fox" version??

Yes and yes!! :clap2: Is the Trumpeter kit close enough that these would also fit the Hasegawa kit?

Gary

Yes and yes!! :clap2: Is the Trumpeter kit close enough that these would also fit the Hasegawa kit?

Gary

Nope..The Hasegawa intakes are longer and have a slightly different contour.

I can do those as well, if there is enough interest.

Harold,

Looking forward to this piece of AM.

How about a C model intake?

Barry

After looking at some photos, the kit intake looks closer to the C than the E/F. Maybe somewhere in between? (if anyone can see what I see, let me know what you think) I could get some C intakes out later, if I can find time.......

Edited by Harold

I made some rounded end caps for the drop tanks. Another modeler had an interest in them, so I made a casting. They would fit the Hasegawa kit as well. If there is enough interest from others, I can bag up some and send them to Gordon.

Cheers,

Harold

Edited by Harold

I made some rounded end caps for the drop tanks. Another modeler had and interest in them, so I made a casting. They would fit the Hasegawa kit as well. If there is enough interest from others, I can bag up some and send them to Gordon.

Cheers,

Harold

Any chance of posting some pics please Harold?

I wouldn't use either of those as a reference for what it's actually supposed to look like. You need to check it against a photo of the real thing. Neither Hasegawa nor Microscale are perfect when it comes to that kind of thing. Sometimes their decals are fiction.

I did a lot of "eyebollin'" of all my photo refs. I think (my wife will argue otherwise) I have seen several different shapes of the end caps. Some are longer and more pointed and some were shorter and rounder. I took into account for angles and such too. Maybe just me...or Detail and Scale is playing with my mind.

Just arrived back from the airshow to see one of my favourite threads has had some activity!

Harold, you are a legend mate. I would love to see some new intakes with internal contoured trunking!!! Put me down for anything A-4 you do. RNZAF "Kahu Mod" upgrades are very cool.........dont you think :whistle:

Must update my build as I have advanced a bit more.

Keep us posted Harold

Cheers

Anthony

Just arrived back from the airshow to see one of my favourite threads has had some activity!

Harold, you are a legend mate. I would love to see some new intakes with internal contoured trunking!!! Put me down for anything A-4 you do. RNZAF "Kahu Mod" upgrades are very cool.........dont you think :whistle:

Must update my build as I have advanced a bit more.

Keep us posted Harold

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks as always Anthony.

I will post anything that gets done for the Scooter....

Back for holidays!

Jennings, I know how to check things, believe me... BTW, if there is a difference between the crests produced by different decal manufacturers, this is a clue that something is probably going wrong somewhere, don't you think so?

BTW, as there is an interest in them, I'll do a tweak list document and will also end this adversary table. This will be far more developed than the current one as I'll add all the planes serial numbers I'll be able to identify.

Harold, regarding the Charlie, I think the best reference you can get currently are the Charlie and Lima walkarounds on the Silicon Valley Scale Modelers website. Books do not cover correctly the Charlie. The squadron walkaround has some good pictures of Limas. I guess the situation will probably be different when Steve Ginter book will be published. I know that there is a publication dedicated to Argentina A-4s. This is possibly an interesting source of information regarding B & C airframes. Any aftermarket set for Scooters will be welcome. A crancked IFR probe is a good idea as well. Regarding the C, you've to know that Condor released a good set to build a US or Argentina Navy bird. However, I think this may be OOP.

As we are discussing Scooters, I'm amazed to see that it is easier to find pictures of the Sasquatch rather than some of the non-training two-seat variants!!!

The VAQ-33 EA-4F mods (except the ESS pod) are elusive to say the least. And what about the OA-4M? This plane exists in all modeling scales but I had to look into more than a dozen of books and finally order the NATOPS manual to get sufficient info to build one. As far as I know, there is no online walkaround and no western publication has ever published pictures of the cockpit (I've three bad pictures in Japanese books). Even the Ginter book dedicated to two-seat airframes gives no useful info regarding OA-4M specificities. And I can tell you that the fact that the instrument panels are identical to the TA-4F or TA-4J ones is an urban legend! BTW, the NATOPS gives some other interesting facts. The one that amazed me is the fact that the OA-4M was not officially qualified to be used on carriers! The D Sidewinders, Shrikes and Walleyes were cleared on the OA-4M but I've yet to see another warload than rockets or training bombs on MERs...

And now a true mistery: the IAF TA-4H/J: do not tell me they are simply "trainers". I suspect they are also used as fast FAC planes. Indeed, I've never succeeded in finding one single picture of the instrument panels anywhere! Even ISRA publication books "forgot" the two-seat details... Considering the fact that it is even easy to find pictures of the Sufa cockpit, this is suspect, don't you think so? I guess that pictures of panels dedicated to ECM equipment or use of different radio ranges would probably indicate too easily such planes are not simply trainers! The IAF two-seaters never received the hump but considering the progressive miniaturization of electronics and the competence of Israeli companies in this area, this is not a relevant argument to my eyes. I'd like to get the proof I'm wrong. This would allow me and a friend to build a modern Israeli two-seater!

Thierry

Just to confirm this feeling, I found a recent picture (TA-4H external view: http://www.pbase.com/xnir/image/103598197) that shows a box on a TA-4H instrument panel hood.

Guess what? It is identical to the AN/ALE-39 ECM and chaff dispenser command panel used on the OA-4M...

Edited by thierry laurent