Trumpeter Skyhawk tweaks

thierry laurent

Just a bit of a heads up....I was looking at the Eduard A-4 sets and noticed on their slat set that they also include the small wing vortex generators for the upper wing in front of the ailerons. Not only that, but a template to mount them all straight!

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/A-4E-slats-1-32.html?force_sid=141c50801a61ffe7649fbd7ad5ae109d

Cant believe I missed that! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Anthony....off to buy a set!

• 4 months later...

Dragging up an old topic but figure it's worth correcting.

The leading edge slats on the A-4 are not "always" down on the ground as stated very positively earlier in the thread.

They could be pinned up making them up full time until the pins where removed.

Why?

Any asymmetric deployment of the slats could lead to undesired roll inputs hence the Blue Angel A-4s had all the slats closed at all times.nothing worse than uncommanded roll input 18 inches from another aircraft.

This could occur because of slight differences in aerodynamic forces with differing angles of attack leading to one lat deploying before another.

Also a lot of Argie birds appear to have it..same deal with a roll input while flying at 500kts at 20'AGL in a 45degree bank..

Not good for your health!

Even when not pinned closed they could be only partially deployed of which there are many photos..

Great resource this thread!

Besides the work on my OA-4M, I'm currently working on the A-4M kit (in fact an A-4N). So I think that a short addendum to the tweaks is appropriate:

- Do not glue part 102 and 103 to the engine! Glue them to each fuselage side after the assembly of the whole engine section. This is far easier than trying to assemble all components as described in the instruction sheet.

- Other problem: the nose electronic bay doors cannot be glued shut as such... They have to be modified.

By the way, for the ones willing to do an Israeli scooter, be warned: the Wolfpack set A-4H is far from being comprehensive...!

Five (!) important elements are not covered by the set:

- there is no RWR antenna on the tail

- there is no bulge (TAAL-crystal system) under the nose

- the changes on the fairings behind the LG wells are not included (camera and beacon light moved to other side)

- there is no hole at the rear and behind the DEFA gun bulges

- the hump details are not taken into consideration. Moreover, the late A-4N had additional details (air intake and small exhaust on the starboard side)

Globally, the old Cutting Edge set was far more comprehensive (only the fairing changes were omitted) even if the lengthened exhaust in the Wolfpack set looks better.

Considering this, I'd not be surprised to see one or two Ahit Isracast sets in the future..!

HTH

Thierry

Hi Darren,

I do not have yet the Wolfpack set. I saw it last week as a close friend of mine got it some days ago from Spruebrothers before it sold out.

As I'm seeing him on next Friday, I'll check. However, I've the feeling they just lengthened the upper portion with the section of the tail. I don't think they corrected the fit.

Note the correction is really easy to do.

Another info: a new A-4M pit set tailored to the Trumpy kit has just been released by Avionix. This is logical as I'm currently struggling to adapt the one intended to the Hasegawa in the Chinese kit... ;-)

Great discussion guys, I am enjoying this thread very much as well.

Just taken some pics of the Aires well in position and top wing glued on......about to update my thread now in the 'work in progress' section

Cheers

Anthony

Regarding the photoetched vortex generators, I'm not really convinced... They will be in scale BUT how can we glue and secure them?!? BTW, Eduard did not use them on their demo kit, mmmmmhhh...is this a clue?

Using the template and CA glue is a risky business but if you don't want to loose them later, this is the best solution. Using a clear coat or future seems more appropriate but will be far more fragile. I don't know what is the worst problem!

I'm not wondering anymore regarding my kits: I'll sand the plastic vortex generators one per one!

Regarding the slats, in practice they're always down on ground on "normal" service birds. Since last year, I've checked thousands of Skyhawk pictures for the Zotz A-4C/E/M sets, and they are exceptionally up. In fact, they were up on Blue Angels planes and on a minority of Adversary airframes for the reason you mentioned (I did not count them but I would say something like 30%). However, when you consider all the Scooter users and the number of airframes, this is the exception rather than the rule.

Hi Thierry

Yes that's pretty much correct it was an exception with the majority not locking them.

However it was widely used it seems by one of the Argentine C squadrons as there are lots of photos more often than not slats up on the C.

The B units did not appear to do it as most seem to be down in most photos I've seen.

The new Hikoki book has lots of A-4Cs with slats up among a great selection of Skyhawk plus other photos!

Great book...

Yesterday evening, I tried filing the vortex generators. It took me less than one hour to do the port wing ones. Two interesting tips: use very thin tape to protect the wing surface and use a medium size file with a squared section. Using a too fine jeweller file results in more irregularities and the use of other file profiles complicate the work.

I seriously doubt we will get a new canopy. The Trumpy one is not accurately shaped on the sides but this is not so noticeable. This is even less obvious when it is opened. Moreover a vacformed one will not easily reproduce correctly the bulge either. The best solution would be a new resin one such as the ones Paul Fisher is producing for his kits.However, as far as I know since the end of the Cutting Edge resin line, we never saw new aftermarket canopies in resin...

Great tips Thierry

Do you have any photos of what you mean or how they look finished?

I am looking at doing mine soon and any help would be appreciated!

Seems like the ammo cans in the kit & aires set may not be entirely correct for an E/F/K. Some of the guys on the NZ site I post this, worked on the A-4K and dont remember them looking quite like the ones replicated.

Anyone got pics of the E/F/G/K's with the ammo bins fitted?

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I'll take pictures and send them to you if you want. This was quite easy. You just have to be patient and take care!

1. Put scotch tape stripes on the wing before and after the row of vortex generators

2. Sand a little bit the external face (right side on the port wing) because the upper section is rounded and if you don't do it you'll get too short ones if you only send the internal face.

3. Send the internal face (the one within the L section of the vortex generator) from the front to the rear of the wing and vice-versa

Voila!

I shall look in my books at home. I looked in the manuals and in my digital files but did not find any useful view. However, the kit and Aires set details correspond to what I'm remembering about the ammo bay layout. Wait and see