Albatros D.II

csavaglio

This is a return to my roots. It's the Encore boxing of the Roden kit, adding different decals, photoetch, resin and a few other options.

I was tossing the coing between Boelke's plain looking Albie and Richthofen's overpaint red one. I've finally decided to do the standard schemed Boelke plane.

Here's the start....getting the guts painted. The "wood" is a base of acrylic light tan with artist oils thinned with japan drier for the grain.

The resin engine included is pretty nice. I added the plug wires off the magnetos and the coolant and oil lines. It's nice enough that I ordered the True Details boxing of the engine for another Albatros....

Chris

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

The nice thing about the Encore kits is that's there isn't much to add. I added a control wire for the triggers, but the rest is in the box. I don't think adding the control wires would be too visible in there, so I didn't bother. The Roden Albtros kits have a reputation for being pretty fiddly, and this one's living up to it. There's lots of delicate parts with small gluing surfaces, so it's hard to keep everything together. I'm sure it'll all be fine once the fuselage is sealed up.

Cooking right along....

DSCN2044.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

Thanks, guys. I'm kinda stalled on it right now. The Eduard (1/48....don't hate me....) Mig-21 took my attention away and, even though that one's done, I'm still a bit disinterested in the Albie at the moment. It's sitting in primer right now. I just have to screw up the motivation and get going on it again.

C

• 2 weeks later...