Airco DH.6A aka "Skyhook"

Tomek

Oh la! Any faults with design and construction of the model have all been forgiven by those beatuiful wicker seats! They are simply exquisite and lovingly rendered. Feel free to send any extra seats like those to me - I'll give them a good home. :rolleyes::)

Very nice to see something more than a little bit different. I must admit I'd question your sanity for even considering cutting out your own spars, I'm completely sane :coolio: and I'd go for pre-cut every day of the week. Have fun!!! :wicked:

VERY cool work on the seat!

Not sure if any of the WnW kits Id love to build contain any wicker seats, but Id love to take a shot at building one of these chairs at the time if they do.....

Looking good so far. Great work in paper here!

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks guys :D

To be honest, after proper materials have been found the seat was not too difficult, only little time consuming. I figured I have plenty of time till the end of the GB, why not do something extra. Besides, I had little bit of extra motivation because I haven't seen it done in any paper model.

As for spars, one end of wire was glued first, than it was trimmed as needed and the other end glued to the frame. I wasn't too much concerned that it may look a bit sloppy because the frame was about to be covered with thread and paint anyway.

I hope the next seat will be much subtler. I intend to lighten up a little color of the upholstery which I'll try to make all out of paper this time. Somehow I'm more comfortable with this material than rubber insulation :rolleyes:

Ron, I suspect I may have more reference questions on the way and I was thinking how I can express my gratitute. Frankly, I would prefer buying you few drinks instead.

:beer4: ;)

No thanks are needed, no drinks refused. The only thing I like better than building models is assiting someone to build it better than I ever could. Keep the questions coming...I'll keep adding to your tab. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Tomek, I can see that you are a fully paid up member of the 'hair shirt brigade.' Your model is lovely piece of work. But may I make a suggestion? If you need to stiffen card you can use knotting. It's widely available and when dry, gives card and and paper a resilient finish and it can even take light sanding. It will need to be over painted unless you are looking for a shiny, mid brown finish.

PM

Tomek, I can see that you are a fully paid up member of the 'hair shirt brigade.'

Nah, I haven't started REAL modeling yet. Someday ... someday.... :lol: ;)

If you need to stiffen card you can use knotting. It's widely available and when dry, gives card and and paper a resilient finish and it can even take light sanding. It will need to be over painted unless you are looking for a shiny, mid brown finish.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think how this product can be applicable to my paper models. The problematic is this mid brown finish. In case of painted models, as you say, this shouldn't be a problem. I'm experimenting with a nitrate dope referred to me by a friend, and maybe in my next build I'll try to use it. It has some significant advantages: it penetrates deeply and seals cardstock, it protects the print and it doesn't affect the colors. It gives kind of satin finish, but that can be easily fixed with a final flat finish. What I need to test is how comfortable it will be for me to glue treated in this fashion parts with adhesive I'm the most comfortable with.

Thanks for looking in ^_^

Edited by Tomek

Tomek, You have a great approach to the progression of this model. I think the I/P looks pretty good, and your wicker looks good too. Prolly the most frustrating thing is the lack of good info for the details; your plane is looking good.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update here. Fortunately, I can afford much more bench time now than in last weeks, so expect some serious progress! Said that, I'm rather doubtful I can finish this model on time (knowing my modeling pace :whistle: ), but I'll try to at least keep you guys some company.

Prolly the most frustrating thing is the lack of good info for the details

You right, Mike. On the other hand this is a perfect situation for some artistic license. I hope in the end it will at least resemble DH.6 A ...

Not much to show you guys, only finished seats. As planned, I used thinner materials and the result is somewhat better. Instead of silk tread I used nylon one, which turned out was much better choice. Below photo shows comparison on the wire frames (new on the right, old on the left). For the upholstery I used again rubber wire insulation. I tried to do it with paper, but failed miserably.

IMG_0110-1.jpg

And here everything painted. The old seat in the left column the new one in the right. It looks better a little bit and it's more subtle, I think. But most of all, the bottom cushion has now five buttons!!! Cool, isn't it? ;)

IMG_0124-1.jpg

And the set of two ready for the cockpit to be finished.

IMG_0115-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Tomek