Tamiya F-4D reconstruction

D.B. Andrus

Many years ago, well a few anyway, I started building the Tamiya F-4D for a friend who flew with the 13th FS, 432nd TRW out of Udorn during 1967-68. The subject of the model is an F-4D, serial number is 66-8714, tail code 'OC' - one of the a/c my friend flew during his tour.

Unfortunately, during a move, the model - 1/3rd finished at the time - suffered major damage to the wings and fuselage. Well, I've decided to resurrect the kit from the bone-yard, reconstruct it and deliver as promised to my friend. The down side is, due to external work demands, it takes me forever to finish a small-scale model.

For the cockpit I used an Avionix F-4D resin cockpit, AMS Martin-Baker Mk. 5 seats, Eduard color PE, a number of modifications and scratch-built items in its construction. Here are a few shots of the completed cockpit:

cid_0BFCD447AD7A49C4B61426133098F6DDDami

cid_57E5749D3AAD496997ED4A5E6FDA3B21Dami

cid_CF9FD83A12954EB5ABB20111BAC7F3F0Dami

Will post again when more progress has been made. Thanks for taking a peek!

Best Regards,
D.B. Andrus

You have Extraordinary painting skills D.B.
You've created the best looking Avionix cockpit I've seen. :wow:
Harold's seat look Awesome!

Like Cunumdrum:

I would be ineterested in knowing how you painetd the upper ejection seat firing pull rings? Care to share your technique? Looks very relistic. Excellent cockpit.

Great work; looking forward to seeing the finish Phantom!!
Barry

I would be ineterested in knowing how you painetd the upper ejection seat firing pull rings? Care to share your technique? Looks very relistic. Excellent cockpit.

Be happy to post some photos, might take me a few days, though.

Both of Harold's seats were only slightly modified(however, they are excellent as is). On the rear seat just added leg garters, with the front seat added the garters and removed the lap belts and scratched new ones from sheet lead - didn't think both seats should have belts in the same position. ;) On the uppermost part of the seats small clipboards were added. My pilot friend said they all wore a clipboard strapped to their thighs, for notes, and when unstrapped placed them on top of the seat ready for the next flight.

Thanks for all of the compliments - I'm overwhelmed.

More Later,

D.B.

Are those seats good for a Phantom F-4E Early Production/F4-EJ?

Excuse the n00b questions. I know nothing about the Phantom except that I love the machine!

James,

I would probably go with the M-B Mk 7's on the 'E', others may know more, though.

Best Regards,

D.B.

PS - Really like your website.

Fantastic job!!! I had many hours in F-4s (C, D, E, and RF) and your cockpit looks like the real thing. I'm not sure (it was many years ago) but I believe I may have flown that same jet at Udorn in 1970/71. Looking forward to the rest of your build. :goodjob:

Hi Fellas

Here are a few quick and dirty shots of how I paint the ejection seat handles.

cid_7C88088302E94A378F49FEE30BE3FB45DamianPC.jpg

Paint handles with yellow base coat. Let dry completely. Personally, I use Mr. Color paints.

cid_DC79A21100E94BE38A1B08E6FD5681C3DamianPC.jpg

Cut a thin strip of masking tape and wrap around handle. Don't bother to measure spaces between stripes, just space them with your eyes...remember this is supposed to be fun! I do one side at a time.

cid_7713394DAE9E4F6997D72CE607207083DamianPC.jpg

Spray several very thin coats of black at 90 degrees to the tape as possible - this helps keep the black from bleeding under the tape.

cid_78D776FAC4224DF78F79BB7857FAB95DDamianPC.jpg

After the black paint has dried gingerly remove the tape.....

cid_41B584B57DB443BC83ACB9B047552610DamianPC.jpg

...et voila! - nice looking overhead ejection seat handles. Please ignore the fuzzies. :rolleyes:

HTH,

D.B.