Split Personality Sukhoi

scvrobeson

Matt, I haven't had the chance to work with them...yet. But from all the reviews I've read, it is supposed to be very easy to use, sprays very well straight from the bottle. What I heard is why I got them. I stickily use acrylics anyway(MM).....Harv :piliot:

Okay, I'll be sure to check them out. If they're not too expensive, I've just preferred enamels for most of the painting I do, but if all I can find are acrylics, I'll use those ones. Hope to see some more work on your P-38 soon.

Matt :party0023:

Matt, I sure do like how those nozzles are turning out. If you don't mind I will copy you tricks on the business end.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Go ahead and copy the techniques, I'm just glad someone likes what I did. :speak_cool:

Russian Falcons scheme

Hey guys. I was wondering if everyone could look at this scheme, and try and discern what the colors are supposed to be. I'm getting ready to paint the Russian Flacons scheme on the Flanker, and need to know what to do the camo. Any help would be great.

When I painted this one, I mixed a lot of colors, so I was happy with the nuances.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=31610&st=0&p=285134&fromsearch=1entry285134

If I had the UB model, it would have done so, the presidential aircraft (used by V. Putin), when he flew as a passenger, to Le Bourget.

This is the only aircraft in formation, with the Russian flag under the cockpit.

1177593.jpg

Florin

Edited by florin13

• 1 month later...

Man, I have been neglecting this build. Luckily though, Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer is finally back in the country, so I was finally able to get the white on this bird. I don't have the fancy hanging rack like Brian (even though that's a great idea), I still got the top-side painted. I'll give it a couple of days to set up, then I'll mask it and start on the color.

Su-27UB106.jpg

Su-27UB111.jpg

Su-27UB107.jpg

Su-27UB108.jpg

Su-27UB109.jpg

Su-27UB110.jpg

I really hope to get back to this one. Looks like I won't make the deadline, unless it gets extended, but I can at least make a significant dent in it by the end.

Thanks to everyone who's been patient and has read in on this build. I hope to get it all done soon. All comments and critiques are welcomed guys.

Nice prime work Matt. :D I do SO love the Tam fine white and came to MORE so after using my other white option.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian! I'm glad you like it. I had never used the Tamiya White Primer before, now I'm wondering how I didn't for so long. It's a really great color, and really, really lays down well. I'm going to just leave it for the white portion, then just mask over it and paint the other colors down over it.

Your build is looking awesome, can't wait to see that one finished up.

That is quit abit nice Matt.

Looking at your's and Brians they sure look sweet all in white :thumbsup:

But I am looking forward to the colours going on her.

Keep on trucking Matt

Taff :D

Hey Taff. Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you like it. I'm having tons of fun on this one, and should hopefully get more color on it soon. I'm masking the white so I can do the other colors right now, so hopefully will get them painted soon. It just takes a ton of tape and paint to mask this bird up.

Hope to update soon.

It just takes a ton of tape and paint to mask this bird up.

Hi Matt Yep can relate to that! My spitfire is tiny next these big birds but Tamiya are doing quit nicely out me with the tape I have used todate.

Looking forward to see her and Brains in full Technicolor. Think they are both going to be head turners.

Keep up the good work!!!

:popcorn:

• 1 month later...

I'm finally back to work on the Flanker!!!! I finally found some time to work on this one, and I started on the painting for the Russian Flacons side. I used a mix of Model Master Enamels, since no one seems to make the blue I needed. It's mixed up from RLM 24 Dark Blue, Ford Engine Blue, and a little splash of FS Bright Blue to give me the right color. It was all thinned down with Mr. Leveling Thinner, and lightly sprayed on. I think it came out pretty well, and once it's hardened, I can mask it up and spray the red. I probably won't get any more done it until Monday at the earliest, since I'm gone on a trip this weekend with the band.

Su-27UB112.jpg

Su-27UB113.jpg

Su-27UB114.jpg

Su-27UB116.jpg

Su-27UB115.jpg

How does it look guys? A huge thank you goes out to Florin for providing me with a ton of pictures of the Russian Falcons planes, it really helped me get the masking and colors right. :thumbsup:

That's it for this update. I just want everyone to know that I am still plugging away on this build, it probably won't be done by the deadline, but I will get it done.

All comments and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for reading in everybody.

Hi Matt – That splash of colour uhm!!! Going to look very cool :speak_cool: when she’s finished. Which colour next, the light blue then the red?

Hey there Taff! I'm glad you like the blue. I went with the red first, then when that had hardened, I masked up for the light blue/dark blue camo.

That's actually why I'm posting today. I sprayed the red on, using a mix of Guard Red and Russian Marker Red, both model master. Once that had set up, I went and masked that with even more tape, I'm running low on Tamiya tape again.... :BANGHEAD2:

After it was all masked up, I started in on the blue. The lighter blue is a mix of Model Master FS Bright Blue, Ford Engine Blue, Flanker Medium Blue, and Flanker Blue/Grey, all to give me the proper light blue color. I had initially hated the shade, thinking it was way too dark, but once it dried, it looked right. And it's pretty close to the current Russian Flacons scheme, which seems to be pretty hard to nail down actually. The blue ended up being a mix of Ford Engine Blue and FS Bright Blue, with a splash of the Flanker Blue/Grey, all cut with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, and sprayed free-hand. Once this sets up, I will do any touch-ups that are required, then move on to the Kazakh side of the plane.

Su-27UB117.jpg

Su-27UB118.jpg

Su-27UB123.jpg

Su-27UB119.jpg

Su-27UB121.jpg

Su-27UB120.jpg

Su-27UB122.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the progress on this one. I'm having a ton of fun with this paint scheme, can't wait to get to the other half of it, I'm hoping this one comes out as well as I'm imagining in my mind. :speak_cool:

Thanks for reading in everyone, all comments and critiques are welcomed. :thumbsup: