Split Personality Sukhoi

scvrobeson

Well, I guess it's that time to show you all what I got done last night and today so far. (cue herald trumpets!) But the fuselage, wings, and vertical tails are now all added! The Sukhoi is together!!!!!!!!!!!! The only problem now of course is that I think I need a bigger desk to accommodate this thing. I never really knew how big the Flanker is, until it's staring at me on my desk. But now I'm glad I never ordered the WnW Gotha, since the length of the Flanker is still 2 inches shorter than the wingspan of the Gotha.

But construction was pretty simple, once the wheel bays were really ground down. The seam was easy to work with, just had to work one small section at a time, since there was so much plastic to glue. I had some gaps and steps where the wings attached, just because of differences in cross-section, but nothing some putty and Surfacer can't fix. But besides that, the fit was perfect. Just some small re-dressing of seams needed, then I get to re-scribe and re-rivet everything. And now I get to add the rest of the Eduard parts, and get another step closer to painting this monster! :party0023:

Su-27UB078.jpg

There it is. I'm sorry, couldn't even fit it all in frame, it is that big.

Su-27UB079.jpg

Here she is from up front, really looks so awesome from this angle.

Su-27UB082.jpg

Su-27UB081.jpg

Su-27UB085.jpg

Just to show off the few seams and gaps, the tops have already been sanded down, but the bottom shouldn't take too much effort to remove. On the other side though, there was no gap on the bottom, so I'm not quite sure what caused it only on the one side.

Su-27UB083.jpg

And those big, huge tails, really such a cool part of the Flanker's anatomy.

Su-27UB080.jpg

Su-27UB084.jpg

Su-27UB086.jpg

And a few more shots of the interior, just to show more of the split parts, once I start on the exterior, this will of course make more sense.

That's all for this update, this was a lot of work to get to this point, but it's so rewarding. Hope everyone's enjoying this build, and thank you to everyone for looking in on it.

Thanks Harv! Glad you're enjoying it! Looks like you've got some catching up to do though.... Hurry up bro! :P

Quick question, do you have any plans to head to the Yuba City model show in June? I'm thinking of heading up, and wanted to know if anyone was going.

Hey guys, quick update here, with no pictures. Everything has been sanded down, I guess the next step is to finish attaching all of the Eduard exterior bits, doing the re-scribing, and then getting to work on the engines, unless I can add them from the outside later, but I'm not sure what that would do for the weathering and blending them in.

Also, e-mailed Linden Hill yesterday, and they're coming out with another sheet of Kazakh planes next month, so I'm just going to wait for those to come out! :speak_cool: The Snow Leopards do look pretty awesome, and apparently they were looking in on the build, so that's a massive compliment from them. Also trying to see if they'll consider doing airshow team decals, cause if someone came out with Russian Knights decals, I'd switch the left side to that instead of the Russian Falcons. It's only in Flacons markings right now because that's much easier to paint on than the Russian Knights sunburst on the tail.

Well, that's all for now, hopefully some updates coming soon. Getting to the end of the school year, so things are very busy right now, studying for Finals and everything. :BANGHEAD2:

Hey guys. Just wanted to show a bit of progress for you. Got the exhaust cans painted on the inside, and boy was that a lot of fun. Started out with a mix of Alclad Jet Exhaust, Exhaust Manifold, and Duraluminum, just to give it kind of a burnt, smoky base-coat. On top of that, more Duraluminum was added, the Jet Exhaust was streaked in. Then I went in with a mix of Tamiya Clear Blue and Smoke, and did the heat staining. Then I set in with some Pale Burnt Metal, to tie it all together, and give it the burnt, singed, and kind of dusty appearance I see in the Kagero pictures. To finally polish things off, I dry-brushed in some Mig Gulf War Sand, and that really gave me the effect I was looking for.

Sorry about the pictures, but it is really hard to get pictures of the insides of the cans, but I think it kind of shows off what I'm going for.

Su-27UB091.jpg

Su-27UB092.jpg

Su-27UB087.jpg

Su-27UB089.jpg

Su-27UB088.jpg

Su-27UB090.jpg

Okay, that's all for this update, sorry it's so brief, but just got some quick work done. Once I do the flame-holders, then I can attach them into the fuselage, and be one step closer to painting the exterior. Can't wait to do the exhaust sections on the outside, I got some good practice doing the interiors. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest Peterpools

Beautiful work. The detail is simply amazing. lookig forward to following along and enjoying the build.

Peter :popcorn:

Beautiful work. The detail is simply amazing. lookig forward to following along and enjoying the build.

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks Peter! Glad you're enjoying it! I'm just trying to do the kit up right, it really is nice, just needs careful work and painting to really bring it to life.

Hey all. I'm here with some more progress from today, got the rest of the exhaust cans done. Again, this was mostly done using Alclad, using mixes of Aluminum, Steel, Exhaust Manifold, Pale Burnt Metal, and Jet Exhaust. After all of those were done, Tamiya Clear Blue and Smoke were mixed together and sprayed on. After all of that was dry, it was dry-brushed with Model Master Burnt Iron, then Mig Gulf War Sand was brushed on to give it a worn, dusty look inside. It's kind of hard to see in there, but I know it's there.

Su-27UB093.jpg

Su-27UB094.jpg

Su-27UB095.jpg

Su-27UB097.jpg

Su-27UB096.jpg

That's all for this, the exhaust cans are now all glued together, and glued onto the fuselage. After getting those installed, I started putting on the rest of the control surfaces. Got the rudders installed, and the ailerons placed on. Now all that's left are the slats, then a few more parts before it's time for paint, at least as much paint as can be done now. Thanks to everyone for looking in, and all comments are welcomed. :thumbsup:

Coooool!

Looks awesome. I like colors a lot. Very nice effect on the interior colors.....gives it a really nice burnt and weathered feel. I always like that on these type of projects.

:speak_cool:

Cheers,

Brian

Coooool!

Looks awesome. I like colors a lot. Very nice effect on the interior colors.....gives it a really nice burnt and weathered feel. I always like that on these type of projects.

:speak_cool:

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian. It's really just such a characteristic part of the Flankers, I had to try and pull it off. I think I got close, not perfect, but good for me. I might add some more later, maybe some oils, or some black sprayed in to look like soot and smoke, what do you think?

I still want to see what those Pitz burners look like actually burnt and singed, those should look awesome! :speak_cool:

Matt

Hey everyone. Sorry there hasn't been much progress here, I've been busy with life and other builds, but I had a question for everyone. Does anyone know if Zacto is still coming out with a corrected canopy for the two-seat Flanker? Because I'm to the point of messing with the canopy, and if the corrected one is coming out really soon, I'll hold off attaching the PE bits to it.

I hope to get back to this build soon, I just don't know what the next step is right now, or if it is almost time to start painting?

Matt

Matt, why not PM him or email him. He is a member hereI believe. I got my AKAH paint yesterday!..........Harv :speak_cool:

Edited by Guest

Matt, why not PM him or email him. He is a member hereI believe. I got my AKAH paint yesterday!..........Harv :speak_cool:

Oh, didn't know that. I'll try and hunt him down and shoot him an e-mail

Awesome! Glad the paint arrived, you'll have to post some pics so we can all see how it looks. Does it look like they'll spray well and match well?

I'm still just waiting on the Linden Hill Stuff, hopefully the decals will finish soon so I can order them and get working. Maybe I'll do the airshow side of the bird, and then wait for the the decals to be finished to do the Kazakh scheme over the summer! :speak_cool:

Matt

P.S.- Hope you're doing well Harv, how's the house move going?

Also, I saw you bought a Trumpeter A-4.... No getting distracted here. :P

Hey Matt. No, no distraction. Got it for a good price, so couldn't pass it up. Besides, I have to wait till Harold does more resin for it!. The paint, from what I've read about it, is supposed to spray very well. And since they come in small bottles, can be cut with water and still work very well. From what I've learned about them, they ARE the most authentic Russian color match.May be a while till I get to use it

Now the house...well it is sold and we have till June 15 to be moved out. We have found 2 houses we are interested in and trying to decide witch one. Still sorting and packing. Bev is doing very well and has started some light packing.........Harv :thumbsup:

Awesome man. I was excited about the Skyhawk until I saw the cockpit, but I might do one eventually, especially since even in 1/32, it's a pretty small plane.

Good to hear the house thing is working out for you. Are you going to stay in Galt, or move somewhere else around there?

That AKAN paint does sound good, if I was going for a standard scheme, I might have invested in them, but I like my Model Master stuff for camo, and with the camo schemes I'm doing, I don't think that they make the paint for it, so I'm out of luck anyway.

I know what you mean about getting distracted, I got hooked on the Hunter T.7, and my hobby store has the Revell kit, and I could order the Fisher conversion, but I feel like I should wait until I finish something, maybe the Tony.

Matt

Hey everybody! I'm finally back on track with progress on the Flanker! Now that I'm on summer break, I can really get down and work on this project. What I got done today, since it seemed like the easiest project, was the exhaust section. This is the most characteristic and easily recognized part of the Flanker, and my favorite bit. So I really had to take my time and work this section until I had something that I thought looked good.

I started out with Alclad Steel as a base coat, then worked and weathered using mixes of Steel, Exhaust Manifold, Jet Exhaust, Pale Burnt Metal, and Duraluminum. I worked with tons of different variations until I had something that suited me. I have some more to do, picking out a couple of panels in lighter shades, but I might not.

After the Alclad had really set up, I went back in with some Tamiya acrylics, using Clear Blue, Smoke, and a bit of Clear Red to heat stain and burn the paint. I really tried to follow the photos I've pulled off the internet, and from the Kagero book on the Flanker. As of right now, I'm satisfied with my job, but there's still tons of work to do. :party0023: This will hopefully look good in the end, but it takes a lot of patience to really look right.

Anyways, here are the pictures. These were quickly shot outside after painting in natural sunlight, but the colors are a bit darker in real life.

Su-27UB098.jpg

Su-27UB100.jpg

Su-27UB102.jpg

Su-27UB103.jpg

Su-27UB104.jpg

Su-27UB101.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys the update here, thanks for reading in. If there's anything you all think I need to add, just let me know. Thanks guys! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Matt