Split Personality Sukhoi

scvrobeson

Hello.

Nice start on this one.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Jamme

Thanks Jamme. Good to see you're enjoying this one! It sure is a lot of fun, and now with the wheel wells ordered, I can probably get back to this build full force. :party0023:

After quite a delay, I'm finally back with an update here. My gear bays came in the mail yesterday, so in a break in classes today, I was able to get outside and paint them up. I used Model Master Intermediate Blue, which I lightened with some French Light Blue-Gray, all enamels. I used a slightly darker shade, so that after the drybrushing and weathering is done, it should blend in better with what I want.

First off, here's the nice big box that the parts came in for this, plus you can see the parts unpainted, sine I forgot to take pictures before I painted them.

Su-27UB044.jpg

And here are the shots of the bays painted, with the first rounds of weathering. So far, I just did some highlighting with the airbrush, then dry-brushed the bays with some RLM 76 and Insignia White, to give it a few different layers, and some variation in color and weathering.

Su-27UB045.jpg

Su-27UB046.jpg

Su-27UB047.jpg

Su-27UB048.jpg

Su-27UB049.jpg

Now the next step will of course be picking out all of the details and stuff, and that will take some careful study of my references, the Squadron Walk-Around, and the Kagero book on the Flanker. plus a bunch of pictures I got off the internet, and the inspiration of all of the other builds I've seen on here.

These last couple of shots are the detailing parts for the bays, namely a couple more wires, and the retraction jacks. The problem is, one of the jacks showed up broken, so I'll have to get creative and fix that before I can move on, maybe I'll replace it with some wire or something.

Su-27UB050.jpg

Su-27UB051.jpg

Su-27UB052.jpg

That's all for now. It's good to be back working on the Sukhoi, now that the Arado is all done. Now I can focus on the Flanker, and my build of a 1/48 Latecoere 298 floatplane. I've had something of an infatuation with floatplanes lately, and wanted something French in the collection. Thanks everyone for looking in, and all comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Looks good!

I just got mine done too.............word of caution. Have you dry fit these yet? I found out that depending on where you fit the tub in, you may need to hack some off of teh nose wheel tub. I used the Quickboost seats, and just got the whole of teh pit done, so I made sure that once the pit tub was done, I could mount the Aires wells in..........I hacked the nose wheel bay inner "step" to the point its almost see through if you hold it up to the light.

The QB seats and Eduard PE side consoles (which prevent any consistent place to secure the cockpit besides the rear.) are really the only reason I had to move the tub back about 1/16"

Tubs look great in paint. :D

I know Trumpy called for "intermediate blue" but the pics from the SU-30s (not sure on the SU-27s or SU-27UBs) Im doing all seemed to be in anything from almost white to a brighter medium blue.

su-30mkk_mainwell2.jpg

su-30mkk_mainwell1.jpg

I think Im going to split the difference and go with Flanker medium blue on mine.

Looking great so far, and now you can concentrate on the big flame thrower now!

Cheers,

Brian

BTW, im not sure if it would make any diff to you or Harv at this stage but I did verify that at least some Flankers did not have NMF intakes and had painted ones instead.

SU-30 of unknown origin (ill post this same thing over on mine and or Harvs too) -

Airintake_1.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Hmm, those are very interesting points guys. I think though I am going to stick with the intermediate blue for the wheel wells, and maybe I will go for natural metal on the interior of the intakes. I think it just creates a nicer contrast, and will look cooler in the long run for me. Glad you guys are chiming in on this one, thanks for the feedback, and i hope to get more updates going soon.

Brian, I haven't test fit the nose wheel bay yet, as I haven't cut off the casting block, but the main bays fit perfectly in the openings.

Brian, I haven't test fit the nose wheel bay yet, as I haven't cut off the casting block, but the main bays fit perfectly in the openings.

Yeah my nose well fits absolutely PERFECT in the opening (as a matter of fact, I was surprised at actually HOW well it did fit for AM) too, its just that once I had glued in the cockpit tub where I needed (My tub is about 1/16th inch back from where Trumpy has it) it, bumped the aftermarket nose well on the top, out of site, but still caused some fit issues. If your using the trumpy seats, you should be fine, but still, after your pit is installed, I might dry fit that thing to make sure you have plenty of clearance between the top of the well, and the bottom of the cockpit tub.

Brian

Yeah my nose well fits absolutely PERFECT in the opening (as a matter of fact, I was surprised at actually HOW well it did fit for AM) too, its just that once I had glued in the cockpit tub where I needed (My tub is about 1/16th inch back from where Trumpy has it) it, bumped the aftermarket nose well on the top, out of site, but still caused some fit issues. If your using the trumpy seats, you should be fine, but still, after your pit is installed, I might dry fit that thing to make sure you have plenty of clearance between the top of the well, and the bottom of the cockpit tub.

Brian

Thank you very much for the heads-up. I am planning to use the kit seats, so I hope that fixes the problem. But if all else fails, I'm sure I can fix the fit with a bit of Dremeling, nothing a bit of high-speed sanding can't fix! :party0023:

Thanks for all the help with this build man, you guys are all a huge help with this build, really keeping me motivated.

Hey everyone. I've got an update today. After much, much deliberation and lots of photo study has led me to re-paint the wheel bays. Well, half of them at least. :ninja: I was studying pictures, and it looks like the Russian Flankers have a slightly darker shade of blue than other FLankers, so the Russian Flacons half of the plane with keep its darker, intermediate blue wheel bays, while the Kazakh half got a new color. I used Model Master French Light Blue-Grey, with a few drops of the Intermediate Blue, and sprayed that on the one wheel bay, and split the nose wheel bay down the middle. That was a challenge, but i think I pulled it off well enough. I do still need to do all the weathering and detail painting in both wheel bays, but I won't weather till after I do the detail work.

On another note, I've been recently distracted by another model, which I started after I finished up the Arado. I had originally bought the Intermediate Blue and the French Light Blue-Grey for the that plane, then ended up using it for the Flanker. This new project is another floatplane, this time an Azur 1/48 Latecoere (pronounced Let-a-core) 298. Wanted to try my hand at something French, and I've been bitten by the floatplane bug. So there's a couple of shots of that through in too. Hope you guys enjoy, even though it's off topic.

Su-27UB053.jpg

Su-27UB055.jpg

Su-27UB054.jpg

And now on to the main event, back to the Flanker----

Su-27UB056.jpg

Family portrait, just to show the difference between the two sides and colors.

Su-27UB062.jpg

Su-27UB061.jpg

The detail in these bays really has to be seen to be believed. They're amazing, and it's such a pleasure to paint, detail, and weather these things.

Su-27UB059.jpg

Su-27UB060.jpg

The Russian side has been detail painted. Painting was done using a mix of Model Master Enamels, and Vallejo acrylics. All great stuff, and still more to do. Have to pick out some more wires, then I get to dry-brush everything, and do the washes and weathering. Should be tons of fun. :clap2:

Well everyone, that's all for this one. I know, really short update, but I hope to get some more work done when the paint dries on everything. Thanks to all who have looked in and left comments, I really appreciate the feedback, it's a big motivation. So all comments, critiques, and concerns are welcomed and encouraged guys. Any help is always great!

Awesome! The Aires stuff really is great, and although the SU-27 front well is wrong for my SU-30, I still used it cause the detail is really astounding and it would have just been a crying shame to cut out the Aires detail for some of my "homada" detail.

Progress is looking goooooood!

I just got done painting my wells, and will start detail painting them and weathering them as well.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian. I agree with you completely about the detail. It's so awesome, it was actually difficult to mask the line down the center to do the split shade :BANGHEAD2: , but luckily, I made it work decently enough. I'm just glad it all come out well, and I've started detail painting the other bay, and fixing some problems in the dark blue bay, then hopefully Futuring them this afternoon, and getting to weathering soon! :thumbsup: Then getting these things installed, then I can really get trucking on this build, and hopefully get the fuselage together, and the wings on. Then it's time to get down to the major task, the split scheme. Can't WAIT!

Hey everybody. Update for today, let's call this one a pre-quel to the big show that's going to come up tomorrow- I got the wheel bays and cockpit weathered, using Burnt Umber on the lighter half/Kazakh half, and used Black on the Russian side. I think it creates a nice difference, especially on the rear decking, where I feel it came out best. After all of the weathering was done, it was finally time to start installing everything. The wheel bays were an insane headache, and required a degree of creativity and hacking to both the wheel bays, and the area on the fuselage for them. After awhile though, I finally got everything installed in there, and if you're all patient till tomorrow, you'll really see what I got done. While I was out today running errands, I got some heavy duty fishing sinkers, hopefully enough to keep the beast on it's legs. Looks like I'll be using the metal gear for sure, or getting to work on the G-Factor parts. But I'll leave you guys with some pictures of today's work, and hopefully tomorrow will be the big update I know I've sure been waiting on! :party0023:

Su-27UB063.jpg

Yep, that much material needs to be removed.... Thanks Aires. Great detail, usually marginal to sub-par fit. :deadhorse:

Su-27UB067.jpg

Here's the split weathering for you. Hope you like it.

Su-27UB069.jpg

Su-27UB070.jpg

Cockpit weathered, and IP installed. All looks good from here, but there's still more detail to add to the cockpit sills here.

Su-27UB073.jpg

Su-27UB072.jpg

Hopefully this picture illustrates the differences in the weathering and wash colors, Burnt Umber on the light blue, and Black on the mid-blue. :thumbsup:

Su-27UB074.jpg

Su-27UB076.jpg

Last two shots show the wheel bays, now installed. I do have some more painting to do, namely the part of the wheel bay along the sides of the intakes, and the parts on the roof of the intake. Not much more to do, but it sure will be noticeable if i forget it.

Hope everyone enjoyed the update. This build is getting more fun the more stuff I get done on it, and I'm really getting excited to get to the paint sessions, and doing the fun engine weathering. Thanks for stopping in and looking. :speak_cool:

Nice details in that wheel well and cockpit, and your painting accentuates everything really well. Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark. I really didn't do much besides paint what Aires gave me,and try to follow the pictures in all of my books. Thanks for looking in, especially from someone who's such a great builder! :speak_cool:

WOW...Your moving right along. Makes me jealous . I haven't touched mine in several days( or any plastic, for that matter). But you are doing a great job of it. I just love this GB....Harv :speak_cool:

ps, PM inbound

Thanks Harv. This is an awesome group build, I'm having tons of fun here. I'm just trying to make progress when I can. I try and carve out like two hours to work, and when I work, I just work. Turn on some music, and don't stop working till I either get to a point where I have to let stuff dry or set up, or there's nothing more I can work on. It's how I can manage to finish so many builds. There should be a very big update coming today if you're all patient. :rolleyes:

I just replied. :speak_cool:

Matt