1/32 Ju 52 "Tante Ju"

Christian

Introduction

I will be attempting to build a 1/32 scale Ju 52 “Schmitti Modelbau” vac-u-form kit. This is my first attempt at building a Vac kit. The kit has been out of production since the 80’s, I was luckily enough to get my hands on one; thanks to Radu.

I will be also using a lot of techniques that Iain has done on his 1/32 “Schmitti Modelbau” kit on the Brit Modeller website.

I hope you enough reading my journey as I attempt to build a 1/32 Ju 52.

The Ju 52 “Schmitti Modelbau” Kit

Below are images of the vac kit.

DSC02482.jpg

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02481.jpg

The kit will require a lot of scratch building, such as the cockpit, loading area, machine gun turrets, as well the wing spars and internal buck heads.

There are some plastic pieces that are missing from the vac kit on the wings and on the fuselage, where the plastic has broken due to age of the kit or the plastic being too thing.

I think “I may have bitten more that I can chew.”

Since this is my first vac kit; I will start on the small parts that have no damage and require no repair.

Wheels

I start by marking out the 6 wheel halves with my red ‘sharpie’ marker. I then use my exacto knife with a number 11 blade to cut out the wheel sharps. I hold the knife at a 45 degree angle.

DSC02493.jpg

Placing a sheet of wet and dry sand paper (240 grit) taped onto the table; I then begin to sand the halves flat. The plastic is very thin and sanding goes quickly.

DSC02495.jpg

Once the two halves match; I remove the red pen mark by using Methylated spirits and wash in warm soapy water, I then fill both halves with a 2 part model resin. If the resin is poured too high I then sand the resin flush with the outer edge of the wheel. The reasons for the 2 part model resin, is to increase the strength of the model parts as the plastic is very thin and to increase the gluing surface area.

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

Both wheel halves are then glue together using “Zap A Gap CA” glue. Then fill the gaps with putty and wet sanded with 240 grit paper.

DSC02503.jpg

This is too cool. I can't wait to see it come along.

By the way, if you're using a permanent marker for the red pen marks, rubbing alcohol takes it off too.

Chris

Thanks for the tip on the rubbing alcohol. I will have to try this out.

Regards,

Christian

Horizontal + Elevator and Vertical Stabilizer + Rudder

Below are images of the Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizer.

The construction process is the similar to the wheels; care must be taken no to over sand the parts as the corrugated edges must met perfectly; as you can not putty these areas.

DSC02490.jpg

The vertical stabilizer is a little different in the construction process as both halves were glues together first, then spars of solid brass tubing (2.38 mm), have been inserted and glues into position; then the model resin is poured in.

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

The horizontal stabilizers have the same construction process as the vertical stabilizer, however hollow brass tubing (3.18 mm) is used. The brass tubing is cut using a mini pipe cutter.

Both left and rights horizontal stabilizers must have the brass tubing in the same location; hence I use 2 lengths of tubing (70mm in length) to join both horizontal stabilizers together, and then cut them into 2 sections. Solid brass spars (2.38mm) will be inserted later when fitting them onto the fuselage.

DSC02509.jpg

The ends of the brass tubing are taped with masking tape, to stop the model resin from leaking and blocking the tube.

Note that the model resin can be poured in to section using a 5 ml syringe, a lot less mess than using a spoon.

DSC02514.jpg

The brass tube is cut using a fine tooth hack saw blade, and then the brass tube is filed smooth.

DSC02517.jpg

Note that steel wool of 0000 grade is used to polish the joints and remove excess glues and resin.

Completed Horizontal + Elevator and Vertical Stabilizer + Rudder

Below are the completed Horizontal + Elevator and Vertical Stabilizer + Rudder.

DSC02518.jpg

See you later,

Christian

WOW! That´s courageous: your first vac kit and of all things something complicated as a corrugated Ju 52! My respect, Christian! :bow:

I still have some vac kits in my stash but did not have the guts to start or even finish one. Your first progress pics look very good and promising! Cool work so far! I´ll follow you with this one!

Thomas

I like the photo of your two assistants.

Cute children!

Please be careful not to let them breath in the sanding dust or the resin fumes. It is bad enough if we inhale the resin and plastic dust, but we are adults.

Stephen

A hint on the inking - if you use a "Sharpie" marker, it will remove easily with Isopropyl alcohol(not rubbing alcohol, which has typically 15% water in it)but such as drygas, which is purer. Any residue won't interfere with further processing.

Also, rather than soap and water, try Acetic acid(plain household vinegar will work fine) as this lends better adhesion of paint later on. Fingerprints may be removed with the suggested soap and water, above. Use the vinegar last...and rinse and dry, of course.

My 2 cents' worth... based on experience in photo-etching, where adhesion and cleanliness are ultra-important. :rolleyes:

Comment: what an ambitious project! Good luck!

I just looked at my bottle of "rubbing" alcohol.....it's 91% pure isopropyl. No wonder sharpies don't stand a chance....

Oletcherfred is correct...I don't think plain rubbing alcohol would have the stones for it.

Keep up the good work. It's looking great! If you need any pics, I have a small handful from various museums in Europe that may come in handy.

Chris

Boy you sure picked a doosey to be your first vac! It will be a trip to make sure all of those grooves are lined up. You made a good start though. Those old Schmidt kits were not too bad and at least included some bare detail parts.

Very cool that you have the little ones involved as well. They love being around Daddy at that age so enjoy it while you can! LOL

J

I like the photo of your two assistants.

Cute children!

Please be careful not to let them breath in the sanding dust or the resin fumes. It is bad enough if we inhale the resin and plastic dust, but we are adults.

Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Thanks on the health and safety tip about the plastic dust. I did not know about the dangers of this dust. I will get dust mask for me and my two children (CJ and Felicity). As for the resin, only I do that, I always do resin mixing and pouring outside and I always wear a respirator spray painting mask.

Thanks for that,

Christian