1/24 V-2

csavaglio

I know there's been some talk here and there about the new company, Spacemonkey, producing a 1/24 V-2 missile. I saw it posted on a forum somewhere, checked out their website and promptly ordered one. Shipping was very fast...I had the kit in hand about 3 days after ordering.

I'm sure anyone interested has seen the previews of the kit knows what to expect...beautifully detailed parts all in styrene, a blow molded body in styrene, excellent Cartograph decals, instructions with full color reference material, text and photo instructions, etc. It is very much worth the asking price, and is probably the only really accurate V-2 out there in a reasonable scale (I've heard the 1/10 one from RPM Tech is nice, but huge and expensive). James is a stickler for accuracy and, according to him, designed the kit so he'd have an accurate starting point to make a Bumper WAC model (US research rocket based on the V-2).

James is a great guy to deal with and happily answered my questions. I did inquire about the neutral, semi translucent styrene. It's my only complaint about the kit. It is hard to work with since you can't tell what you're doing until you put some primer on it. He said future runs of the kit as well as future kits will be in a more traditional grey styrene.

The good news is that the styrene glues, sands, and paints just like most kits, although it's a little softer that the super hard stuff from say, Tamiya.

The kit is all assembled now. The only thing I added was a chamber above the nozzle. The kit just has a conical nozzle and it's blocked off from above. The real nozzle has an expansion/mixing chamber above. Since you really can't see it and I just wanted to suggest it's there, I just used part of the mis-shapen nose from the Trumpeter Flanker kit and a piece of sheet styrene. I painted them black inside and it's good to go.

The rest of the kit falls together, just making sure to align the fins. There's a few injector pin marks to take care of in outer area of the nozzle and the exhaust vanes, but very easy to take care off. The nose cone and nozzle are injected in a way so there's no mold seam to deal with, which is a great touch.

Well, right now, some white primer is drying as this will be a black/white German test missile from Peenemunde. What's shown is still in its natural state. I put some putty on a few joints and the fuselage mold seam, but it really didn't need much to clean it up. From receiving the kit to primer took only about 3 nights, not really pounding away on it.

Chris

DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

The detail on the kit is excellent. It's mostly raised, but then, on the 4 or 5 real ones I've seen in person scattered throughout the world, the surface detail is raised as well. Nothing is in any place in danger of being sanded off and the kit really captures the Buck Rogers look of the rocket.

It's a fantastic kit. I will be ordering 1 or 2 more in the next week or so.

Just as a quick text update, I put the black/white scheme on last night. I still have some areas to touch up and some detail painting to do (nozzle, antennae, etc) and I have to fit on the exhaust vanes. Once all that's done, it should be a pretty decent look alike for the prototype missile that did the first successful launch. V4 (as in prototype V4), I believe. I got the color scheme documentation from the V2 Rocket website, which is probably the best website out there for reference on the rocket.

Unfortunately, every time I've seen one in museums, I didn't take the time to do a good walkaround since I didn't expect a model like this to come along. I will next time I'm around one though.

Chris

OMG that thing is huge!!

If you paint it red and white i could almost be the space craft TinTin used (French comic book) !

Great to see some odd project

Looks real good

Cheers

Neo