Lindburg Blue Devil destroyer

JRutman

I could not resist for any longer and bought this model today. It was a childhood dream to own it. Took me about 45 years but I fulfilled my dream! It is really basic though. I thought it was the bees knees back in the day though!

J

Not that I've ever been aware of Jerry. I have the same kit, as well as the 1:144 Revell AG kit now. Even OOB, the old girl can look pretty cool. A couple of years ago, some nut tricked one out for the IPMS nationals.

Not that I've ever been aware of Jerry. I have the same kit, as well as the 1:144 Revell AG kit now. Even OOB, the old girl can look pretty cool. A couple of years ago, some nut tricked one out for the IPMS nationals.

Talk about the impossible dream...

Anyway, I think someone actually did do some aftermarket for it, long ago. You might check over on Steelnavy.com or Modelwarships.com. Those are the sites where the model ship builders hang.

Mark

Edited by MarkS

So when will you begin this Jerry? I have need of “Fletcher fulfillment”.

Well,I pulled it out of the box and......Man! I will have to remake every single part,including the hull. I should have bought this years ago before I got AMD.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Well,I pulled it out of the box and......Man! I will have to remake every single part,including the hull. I should have bought this years ago before I got AMD.

J

I think you're up to it Jerry. I have every conffidence you can take it as far as you'd like.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I saw this so late...Tom's Modelworks has a nice PE set for this--it's a must! Railings, radar, various antennae, etc. and other stuff.

I have it for mine--a long term project indeed!

Tim W

Sorry I saw this so late...Tom's Modelworks has a nice PE set for this--it's a must! Railings, radar, various antennae, etc. and other stuff.

I have it for mine--a long term project indeed!

Tim W

I knew that. :)

Cool. Have you seen this site? It's been very helpful to me.

http://www.steelnavy.../BDFletcher.htm

TimW

Actually Tim, I was just kidding about the PE; I had no idea it existed. As to the Fletcher site, yes, I'd been there before,... I think one of our LSP guys was responsible. I'll tell you what does not please me at all is the updated Floating Drydock plans book for the Fletcher is only available as a CD,... now that is annoying.

Sorry Jerry.

Actually Tim, I was just kidding about the PE; I had no idea it existed. As to the Fletcher site, yes, I'd been there before,... I think one of our LSP guys was responsible. I'll tell you what does not please me at all is the updated Floating Drydock plans book for the Fletcher is only available as a CD,... now that is annoying.

Sorry Jerry.

I agree about the tendency of books and plans being available only as CD's or as downloads.

The publishers love it as they save on storage and warehousing space and do not have to stock tons of paper that may never be sold. So it is great for them.

But it sucks bigtims for us consumers.

Sure we can print up whatever plans we want from the compooter or from the Cd. But do you know how much the printer ink costs us?!

Also, if the plans are larger than the standard format most of us have the modeler will have to find a nearby printer who can print out the digital plans onto large format hardcopy. Once you find a printer can email the digital plans to him and then he can mail the paper plans back to you - at a cost.

So it just makes it that much harder for the user, not easier. It is just easier for the seller.

Phooey.

Stephen the old geezer.

I'm OK becakuse I have a full size plotgtrer and can plot plans to any size I want. But most everybody else ahs to take the cd to a commercial printer to have the owrk done if he wasnts full size plans. So he has to make the trip (Ohow much are gas prices these days?) to the printer and pay him to do it. Or he can emial a copy

I've never worked up the nerve to try Lindburg's Blue Devil, though I have been tempted. She is at least nominally done as the U.S.S. Melvin, and since that is my last name there is an understandable temptation to build her. I've read a good number of articles and forum threads on this kit and few have been flattering. But, I do understand that with some love, blood, sweat, tears and scratch building, she can be made into a decent build. I hope you'll post progress pics and comments as you build her since we can all learn from that. It might even persuade me to give her a crack. I think that if you can solve her problems she would most definitely turn out to be very, very impressive display. Goodness knows shes big enough.

I've said this in other threads and I don't want to beat it to death here, but there does seem to be a bit of a revival of interest in this old kit. Taken together with Trumpeter's release of Arizona in 1/200 and Revell AG's new Fletcher in 1/144, I hope that this may herald a growth period in larger scale ship kits. Obviously there are certain limitations on that imposed by the room needed to display the beasts, but to a degree the same can be said of large scale planes to a somewhat lesser extent. Look at the comments about where to put the anxiously awaited 1/32 B-17G. But, even so, it would be nice to have a bit of a selection of new tool, high quality larger scale ship kits which could make some real eye popping center pieces for our model displays. Lets hope.

Bob

I did the write-up on Steelnavy on the Lindbergh Fletcher. You'll have your work cut out for you, I can promise that much.

If you need the Floating Drydock plans book, I have a copy I will loan you. All you need to do is cover the postage from here to there and back.

Jeff

I did the write-up on Steelnavy on the Lindbergh Fletcher. You'll have your work cut out for you, I can promise that much.

If you need the Floating Drydock plans book, I have a copy I will loan you. All you need to do is cover the postage from here to there and back.

Jeff

I realize you're not talking to me here Jeff, but the one good thing about the updated plan book as pdf, is that it's about a third of the cost of the original paper book.