Tamiya Spitfire IX

Haggis

hi,

once again i love the hair spray result - can you explain exactly how this works though?

if a stiff brush can remove paint over the hair spray, are you not afraid that all your paint will come off with handling etc or just in unwanted areas, or if the hair spray only applied (airbrush??0 to very specific areas?

i am keen to try this technique, but first i want to "get" it...

cheers for showing your work

Nick

Nice work! I've never heard of the hairspray trick before. I lean something new about every time I log on here for any length of time.

I'll be watching your work with interest. I really want to build a Spit this year (maybe along with a Hurricane). If memory serves, one of the last kits I build eons ago when I was modelling as a kid, just before I drifted away to chase girls and other such foolishness, was the old Revell 1/32 Spit. Of course, my work then (and now for that matter) was no where up to the standards I see in your pictures, and on this board in general. Heck, in those days I didn't even have an airbrush, everything was brush painted. And cement meant Testor's glue in the tube! That's been one of the really great things I've enjoyed since I came back to this great hobby a couple of years ago - now I can afford the tools (and kits!) I could only dream about as a kid. And of course those were the days before PE and resin, so I couldn't even dream about that. LOL It has been great to be able to have what I need to get the job done. Now if I can just practice, practice, practice so that my skills are the equal of my tools.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, nice work but I notice Haggis seems to be one of those annoying internet modellers that are quite happy to show off their work yet don't bother to explain any of their techniques or answer any questions put to them, the whole point of these forums.Smack of "Look at me" Give me Wolf Buddee's build threads any day. I do admire your work though Jamie, you've come a long way

Bruce

Yeah, nice work but I notice Haggis seems to be one of those annoying internet modellers that are quite happy to show off their work yet don't bother to explain any of their techniques or answer any questions put to them, the whole point of these forums.Smack of "Look at me" Give me Wolf Buddee's build threads any day. I do admire your work though Jamie, you've come a long way

Bruce

Perhaps you are a bit offside here. Last time I checked there is no requirement about having to respond to every query about how to stir your paint. I know that I post the odd bit here and there and I certainly don't have the time to post detailed explanations of everything I do. Take it for what it is, someone posting free information on the internet on their own time, for no money.

By the way nice looking build Jamie.

Bruce

You can read the whole article when it appears in AIR MODELLER in the coming months.

Perhaps you are a bit offside here. Last time I checked there is no requirement about having to respond to every query about how to stir your paint. I know that I post the odd bit here and there and I certainly don't have the time to post detailed explanations of everything I do. Take it for what it is, someone posting free information on the internet on their own time, for no money.

By the way nice looking build Jamie.

i agree that comment was a little surprising, and i do find it a bit rude

having said that, one of my frustrations with AIR and also its armour brother was that you had lovely looking models but very little idea how the results were achieved

whether this has changed from the early issues when i first bought them, i don't know

i think Jamie if you give us the heads up on which issue your Spit will be in, i'll be happy to give the mag another whirl

N

Great work Jamie,

I really like your application of the hairspray technique... cool results as usual.

Bruce, if you are reading this... your comment is rude and frankly not very nice. Jamie is a top modeller and bloke... and he is primarily doing builds for publication in hard copy... I'll forgive you once for your off side comment, after that I'll have to come and beat you with my a rolled up instruction manual from the Tamiya Spitfire!! If you need to know how a technique works, just ask... we are willing to help one another out as best as we can! I also wondered what the hairspray technique was all about so I googled it and found some cool videos on Youtube that demonstate in very nicely... in fact, you can find these videos here at LSP in the technique section.

Keep up the great work Jamie, I learn something from everything you post dude!

Cheers

Alan

A big sorry from the Mod's guys.

Had we seen Bruce's comments earlier we would have dealt with it. It slipped by us.

Having just seen it now, all I can say is Bruce, the others are right. Your comment is rude and not in the spirit of LSP.

Please take this as a warning, comments such as this will not be tolerated.

Jamie, fab build and our sincere apologies for this in your build thread.

Please keep posting your progress.

I ask that we just ignore Bruce's comment and let Jamie's thread go on as it was

thanks all

Ron