Tamiya Spitfire IX

Haggis

Hi guys

I haven't done any WIP on here for a while so here goes. This is Tamiya's wonderful Spitfire IX, I'll be doing thios one strictly straight from the box. Unfortunately, as soon as she's finished I have to pack her up and send her to her owner. Sometimes commission builds are a *****!

Here's the cockpit so far.

cockpit708.jpg

cockpit735.jpg

cockpit733.jpg

cockpit738.jpg

cockpit741.jpg

The wheel wells.

cockpit768.jpg

The wings so far. All in all, pretty much the perfect kit.

wings770.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on this fantastic kit Jamie. I'm really enjoying my own build and I'm interested to see what your impressions are as you delve deeper in to your build. I have to tell you though, I couldn't bring myself to build it out of the box. There's just too much stuff crying out to me to add more and more. It's a sickness, I really do need therapy! LOL!!!

Cheers,

Wolf

Cheers guys.

Wolf - I know what you mean. I have a Mk VIII with all the Eduard sets plus I'll be scratch building and adding some of Roy's Barracuda stuff as well.

Daywalker - The base coat is Mr Color lacquer. This then had a Mig productions dark wash applied as a pin wash, when dry the excess was removed with a clean brush moistened in white (mineral) spirit. The areas of shadow were enhanced with a thin mix of Tamiya matt black before the paint chips were added with a fine brush and a sponge.

Nicely done Jamie! You obviously had a better time of it when fitting the gun and cannon inserts. I played around with them quite a bit and the fit was less than stellar. Nothing a little Mr. Surfacer 500 didn't fix but so far those were the only ill fitting bits on my own build. Very nicely done and quick too I might add.

Cheers,

Wolf

I've started the painting. First the wing roots were under coated with Alclad Duralumin then had a mist coat of light grey to knock back the silver. When dry was light coat of hairspray was applied.

The base coat was a mix of Gunze and Tamiya. I lightened the paint with white and/or yellow and applied it in a random patchy fashion. It looks a bit over done but the filters and subsequent weathering will bring it back in line.

painting57.jpg

When dry to the touch, the chipping began. I use a cut down stiff paint brush and water to scrub away to reveal the metal under coat. I find it best not to use too much water and work in small areas, that way not too much paint is removed.

painting75.jpg

painting73.jpg

Next up will be a gloss coat and decals.