Back into Modeling - Part 2

maamold

My boss and I were talking the other day about stuff we used to do and I mentioned that I am getting back into plastic modeling. He mentioned he's tried to build but has no patience for it but that he'd love to see some kits that I did when I was younger. I brought them in the other day and even though they are way below what my standards would be today he seemed to think they were good. After lunch he stopped by my desk and handed me a 1/32 Hasegawa P-51D Mustang Model as a gift. (he mentioned that he'd like me to put together a F4U-1A corsair for him as soon as he finds the right one - he wants one bigger than 1/32 but I don't think one exists)

I was going to build the 1/32 Dragon BF-109E but my local shop has not been able to get it ordered yet ( I know I could order the darn thing anywhere but I try to support my local businessesbiggrin.gif). I'll be putting the P-51D together first and have been reading up on the kits shortfalls, I figure if I'm going to get back into the hobby I'm going to make the models as good as they can be. It should be a fun project and I'll end up buying the Paragon cockpit; although the Aires cockpit and wheel well sets look to be better; however they are meant Trumpeter P-51D, has anyone tried to Mix|Match the two and how tough would it be?.

-- Edit: Found that Out2gtcha has used the Aires cockpit and wells for the Trumpeter in the Hasegwa kit - Good to know, thanks Out2gtcha http://forum.largesc...pic=28992&st=30

Edited by maamold

If you want to use the Paragon set, you'd better get in quick. Neil's closed up shop, and Hannants have just received their last-ever shipment from him, having bought up most of the remaining stock.

Kev

Welcome back to the hobby, Matt.

About the F4U-1A for your boss, there isn't any kit larger than 1/32scale that I'm aware of but there are two prebuilts still available in 1/18th scale. Go to smalljoes.com to see what they look like. They can be disassembled, corrected and detailed to any level you care to and repainted as you want. Of course any added parts and markings will have to be custom made since there's no aftermarket stuff for this scale.

Matt,

The link below will take you to a kit bash of the Hasegawa/Dragon P-51. Let me know should you have any questions. Jerry Rutman, one of LSP's members still has AM parts for the Mustang as well. Welcome back.

Cheers,

Geoff

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=16723&st=0

Matt,

The link below will take you to a kit bash of the Hasegawa/Dragon P-51. Let me know should you have any questions. Jerry Rutman, one of LSP's members still has AM parts for the Mustang as well. Welcome back.

Cheers,

Geoff

http://forum.largesc...opic=16723&st=0

I'm in awe, that is some fine work. clap2.gifSome really good tips and pointers - thanks

Thanks for the kind words Matt. Yeah the Aries wells, with a little bit of work fit just fine in the Has kit. I didnt consider them any harder in reality to any other resin wheel wells ive installed.

IMHO, the new gen Aires stuff is literally second to none when it comes to mold quality.....................FIT however is another question. To be honest, sometimes I get the Aires stuff just because its usually molded so well, since i figure I can make almost any thing fit.

The Aries wheel wells are incorrect however, as are the Hasegawa wells. I honestly dont beleve they make an accurate P-51D wheel well in 32nd scale. Every 32nd scale P-51 wheel well Ive seen, either AM or OOB from a kit, seems to have the aft/rrear wheel well wall angled forward and not straight back perpendicular with the wings.

EDIT: LOL how could I forget Jerries set..........duh. I think it may be the only technically accurate set out there.....

I liked the Aires stuff myself, as there is going to be work involved with any kit bashing and adding of AM either way.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha