Ad Astra masks

AndyB

Well,

We can sometimes be quick to slag off poor customer service, so I thought I'd better advertise one company that seems to be willing to go the extra mile.

Last week I tried to order 1/24 RAF roundel masks from adastra masks in Canada, but there was a problem with the email link in the customer delivery form, :notworking: which I reported. Turned out to be an issue with the third party payments company, and I was thanked for the information.

No worries, says I, I'll try later in the weekend.

I was then told that if there were any further problems to let them know and they would phone me at my convenience (international call to Ireland) and take my order over the phone. :speak_cool:

As luck would have it, problem was fixed (and I was told so by email) so order went in.

Later email advised me of delivery and possible issue with cutting process, and could I check the masks. If any issues, I should let them know, and they would send a new set free of charge.

Masks have arrived, and look very good, but bearing in mind that the order size was relatively small I thought the service was second to none.

And the 'them' I was communicating with all through the process was Ian. Last name unknown. But big thumbs up from me. :goodjob:

I too was very impressed with the service I received from Ian. He did some custom masks for an F-16 for me, and each time he presented the artwork I was allowed to review and ask for any changes. Any change I asked for was quickly accommodated, and the masks turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Thank you Ian! :speak_cool:

I'd like to add that Ian recently sent me an e-mail advising me that the new 1/32 Tornado F3 Masks were being added too with some decals and that I'd receive them free of charge when the necessary permissions had beeen granted to produce them!

Excellent service, and even more importantly a company that communicates with you very quickly!

Highly recommended to all, on this, my very first order too!! :speak_cool:

Edited by Royboy

Yup, another satisfied customer here as well.

Didn't know they do decals - that's a new one for me, and think it's a smart move as there will be some complex motifs that cannot be done with masking unless you are talking very close to real life size.

Thanks for the heads up.

Guys, if you have never masked before, give AdAstra a whirl!!

Nick

I too was very impressed with the service I received from Ian. He did some custom masks for an F-16 for me, and each time he presented the artwork I was allowed to review and ask for any changes. Any change I asked for was quickly accommodated, and the masks turned out better than I could have hoped for.

Thank you Ian! :speak_cool:

I have nothing but praise for Ian....I've had a number of custom work done...and its absolutely beautiful.

And the turn around time has been really really quick. I'm really happy with the service.

I'd like to add that Ian recently sent me an e-mail advising me that the new 1/32 Tornado F3 Masks were being added too with some decals and that I'd receive them free of charge when the necessary permissions had beeen granted to produce them!

Excellent service, and even more importantly a company that communicates with you very quickly!

Highly recommended to all, on this, my very first order too!! :speak_cool:

Yup, another satisfied customer here as well.

Didn't know they do decals - that's a new one for me, and think it's a smart move as there will be some complex motifs that cannot be done with masking unless you are talking very close to real life size.

Thanks for the heads up.

Guys, if you have never masked before, give AdAstra a whirl!!

Nick

I have to say that recently I came to Ian for some custom masks for a G-14 project I want to do..........my first order. Ian has been NOTHING but gracious through the whole process........concour with all of the above 100%.

If you have not tried these guys go it NOW. You may never go back to decals.

Cheers,

Brian

I can only agree with what has been said already.

Where else can you talk with a manufacturer and discuss your wants only to have them drop through your letterbox a few days later at an incredibly good price?

The obvious problem with masks is that of small or complicated nose art.

Now that Ian will do a decal to cover this particular area you can effectively do any scheme you want without waiting for a decal manufacturer to release one.

All we need is for generic dry transfers for stencils (hobby decal already produce some) and the days of full waterslide decals for builds are numbered.

Highly recommended!

Phil

I just want to add that i have experienced the great service Ian and his company have provided too.

I ordered a set of custom masks from him and couldn't have been happier with the level of service I received. Even when Canada Post lost the original set he sent me, Ian graciously sent out a replacement set. I can't wait to try them out. They'll be used in the Phantom group build on a VX-4 F-4J build.

Carl

• 1 year later...

Hi all--

Is Ad Astra still a going concern? I emailed them about some custom decals about a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Just wondering!

Cheers,

Tim W.

yes they are!

just had an email from Ian - some domestic plumbing issues (we all love those in the winter don't we?) kept him occupied, but he is alive and well, as is AdAstra

:)

Yep! No sooner do I query LSP, then I get an email. Domestic plumbing issues...not fun at all. We had a main valve go out one 4th of July (holiday, lots of extra $$ for the plumber). It was located in a crawlspace under a staircase. Withe water spraying, part of my basement looked like one of those scenes from a submarine being depth-charged movie.

Whew.

Regards,

Tim W.

I have used Ian's masks/decals a few times and thouroughly recommend them.

Here is Tornado F.3 ZE791:-

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234915918&hl=ze791

And here is another (?) F.3 :-

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68414&hl=firebirds#entry748729

I will be re-doing this one in the new year. I was not happy with the gray on this one so sold it on ebay. Also this time I will be using a resin F.3 pit.

Steve