AIMS 1/32 Ju 188 conversion

Pastor John

In the middle of the cockpit you have the B-2 Stand or HD turrett. In the case of the Ju 188 E/F it was normally the HD 131 turrett named after the primary weapon - the MG 131. Photos do exist of HD 151/20 turretts fitted to Ju 188 E/Fs (I have two!) and even of the HD 131 turrett with the Do 217 style clear part but my kit will have the standard set up. Seen in the photo is the master for the clear part which is measured to require a suck-over vac to create the extra height and width needed. You can also see the turrett ring which is also the ammo bin (thanks Hans - I feel so thick!) Drawings of how the seat and spent casing bag are attached to the ring vary. I am going on the original Flugbuch for this one - not the Polish drawings as good as they are. Instructions will show you how to use rod to attach the seat to the turrett ring. Obviously anything missing in the photo will be in PE. I have not made a small Revi gunsight for either the HD 131 or WL 81Z in the C-Stand as they are so small you can make them yourselves. You will also need to add a little pipe work and a small cap to the top of the turrett clear blister - If I add it a sick over mould might loose grip around it. A photo etch base plate is provided with an etched out area identical to the dimensions of the turrett ring. You add the base plate to the top canopy and secure so as to mark where to cut around the hollow base plate into the cockpit area. With the circle removed the turrett ring will just pop straight down but will be prevented from dropping to far by a small lip greater than the dimention of the hollow of the base plate.

IMGP2862.jpg

The B-1 Stand consists of another MG 131, long funny chartridge chute to a hole you will need to make in the right lower side window. PE will liclude ammo belt (I know - no good in 1/32 but what else could I do?) gun sight and 3x hydrolic arms for the exterior tube.

IMGP2866.jpg

Here is the A-Stand Mg 151/20 and chute. everything else will be photo etch - including the bin, but not the tubular frame work that supports the weapon in a fixed position. I have studied and studied the original drawings and what photos show less reflection in them and hope I can explain the layout and bracing as best I can in the instructions. Part of the Revell kits triangular bombsight mount is used and attached to the front of the half moon shaped ammo bin and then you can add the Loft 7D item. The cartridge cute is a pain to understand and my have had different ways of ejecting the casings or storing them in a box - I will try and help. The ammo belt (PE) will travel via a oblong PE flat tunnel before doubling back over a roller fixed inbetween the 'A Frame' you create and then into the breach of the weapon.

IMGP2864.jpg

On to the wings My BMW 801's have had their G-1 style flanges removed and have also been pre-hollowed out, as has the radiator armour. You will need the ring at the back even thinner before fitting but you need some thickness for casting such a part.

IMGP2859.jpg

I am also including weighted wheels without a tread pattern as well as two sets of gear bay doors int he revised style rather than provide PE inner skins for you to work with

IMGP2860.jpg

The under wing vents will also be included

Edited by Pastor John

Again like the cockpit tub one of the main features of this conversion has to be the wing tips which were 3D printed for me to get identical handed parts. The kits ailerons can be easily amended to join the outer aileron sections provided by me.

IMGP2855.jpg

No idea on price at the mo, will send it all off on Monday. I have already asked Dave at CMA moldform to get me a price asap so I can take pre-orders etc. The tooling charge will be the killer as there are so many parts and I have to divide it by how many I am likely to sell and I can not see me selling more than 200x Ju 188 E/Fs and 200x A/Ds over maybe the next 5 years. The 200x decal sheets from Fantasy are paid for in one go and the price divided by 200 kits but everything else will be paid for 25 at a time. Making the stuff is fun - selling it is nervous!

Hi John,

The masters really look like small works of art. Very well done! Now how about that Ju 388 :innocent: ?

Best regards,

Hans

Edited by Hans