Ju 88 714053

oviggiani

Dear Friends:

I need help with Ju 88 g1 Werknumber 714053,a few years ago I painted a dragon kit with this machine scheme but for lack of information I put spurios code letters on this, someone knows the real code letters and his unit I saw a similar machine on aims decals sheet 3C MP of 6 NJG

Hi there .. could I suggest that you contact jeroenpeters through the members directory on here. I know he's built a beautiful Ju-88 in the past and, as an aesthetic touch, mounts original Luftwaffe ID plates etc on his display bases.

I'm sure he would know more about Werknumbers etc than some and always seems willing to help others or discuss things (I hope I'm not putting him under a spotlight here!).

Anyway ...Good luck.

Obant

Hello

This machine is found in two photographs in "Junkers Ju 88 in action, Part II, by Brian Filley from Squadron/signal publications, ISBN0-89747-258-6" on page 33. It can also be found, in colour, in Smith/Gallaspy, Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings Vol. 3, p. 111.

Quite well known photos.

The machine is depicted, with a broken back, having been demolished, presumably by Luftwaffe personell. Looking at the very clean condition and lack of dipoles(?) on the radar mounts I would say it was a factory fresh machine and, as such, does not feature any tactical or squadron markings. Tis. however, makes things rather straightforward as the WNr is known and the various applications of camo are really quite fascinating.

Matt

Hi, Pastor John here from 'AIMS.' The G-1 you mention most likely did not get a chance to see active service so no codes are needed. I know of five photos showing diamond pattern G-1s - all with repeated white Wk Nrs on tail, only 3C+MP showing full codes and therefore identifiable which helps us modelers. All seem to be in a variety of national insignia styles - which together with the large white repeated Wk Nr under the Hakenkreuz and diamond pattern cammo all point to these aircraft having reconditioned fuselages at a sub assembly. Most likely the fuselages were lined up on the grass with cammo nets placed over them and were treated to a coat of RLM 75 through the diamond shaped gaps where they sat concealed from PR aircraft above. Dozens of G-6 airframes where found after the war in this very condition awaiting final assembly.

Best wishes

John