Toom Time!

Lee White

some more progress pics

DSCF0794.jpg

DSCF0793.jpg

this way makes it a lot easier to finish the interior of the intakes- tape the splitter on, fit intake assembly to airframe, glue intake tunnels to intakes, and when dry, pop off splitter, and you have lots of room to work with, in a relative sense.... all in all, relatively painless!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not much progress... I tried to paint the intakes, but that didn't work out, so now I am re-doing those, and hope to be back at the point before the problem happened in the near future... Used Easy-off oven cleaner to remove the paint, but it stripped the putty too, and so that also has to be repaired.

I was able to make a little progress in another area of the conversion, that being the extended nose gear. Another LSP'er was kind enough to send me a scan of the Wild Hare nose gear, along with the measurements of the oleo sections, and so I was able to duplicate the part with that information. A little elbow grease and some brass tubing, and in less than an hour I had my strut- From what I've been told, the WH strut is made of a VERY soft metal, so you might want to go this route with your FG.1 when you get to this point....... Just a thought... :whistle:

Here's a pic-

DSCF0799.jpg

Hi Lee,

I hope that you sort out your intake woes...

As an aside, I described to LSP Matt how I painted my intakes (he was asking about F-14 Tomcat intakes in another thread, and mine were an F-15 Eagle, but it should work OK on any aircraft with gloss white intakes, even the F-4):

I have the Revell Tomcat kit as well - I'll have to take a look at it and have a think for you? If it is anything like the Revell F-15, then the way I tackled those intakes was to modify the way I constructed the kit slightly (after all, instruction sheets are only a suggested guide to building the kit, not necessarily the same thing as the best way to build it!).

For the F-15, I assembled both halves of the individual intakes and applied a hard filler to the internal joint seams. Once I had filed and sanded these to my satisfaction (using various grades of wet and dry paper wrapped around appropriately shaped objects - file handles in the main), I applied lots of coats of very thinned down (with water) Tamiya gloss white acrylic paint by hand until I had built up enough layers to provide really smooth and seamless intakes (although they are hand painted, you can't really tell that they aren't sprayed items - just use a big flat brush to spread and flow the paint around the inside, but avoid runs if possible). After that, I painted and attached the fans and enclosed them in the fuselage - building the nose section separately and attaching that later).

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hi Lee,

sorry to hear about the paint on the intakes. I was intending to make some intake covers for mine, but all this work it seems a shame to cover them, so I will try and de- seam the puppies!

Looks like we are at about the same stage, will get my build moved to this group build thread. If you need any info, measurments, scans from the wild hare kit , let me know. I am not using it for this build (except decals) and its been a great help for me.

Steve

Hi Lee,

sorry to hear about the paint on the intakes. I was intending to make some intake covers for mine, but all this work it seems a shame to cover them, so I will try and de- seam the puppies!

Looks like we are at about the same stage, will get my build moved to this group build thread. If you need any info, measurments, scans from the wild hare kit , let me know. I am not using it for this build (except decals) and its been a great help for me.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the note- glad to hear you are OK after your shake-'em-up, and was hoping to see some progress on your FGR.2. The intake problem was of my own making- tried a technique I was not familiar with on the model, instead of a test piece. I stripped it, puttied, sanded and painted it again, this time with 1-shot, a sign-painter paint that lives up to it's name, 1 coat and it's covered. I think it has lead, and that's why it covers so well.

At this point, i am ready to attach the fans, and install them into the fuselage. Odd how you had your intakes done quickly, and had problems with the aft end, whilst I had the aft end done in a snap and have been fighting the intakes!! :BANGHEAD2: Thankfully, that seems to be behind me at this point. I don't know if you saw the nose gear post, but i'm going to do an FG.1 instead of the A&B bird- That's what I really wanted to do in the first place, and now that I have some RAN decals lined up, I can do that. This also means that I will be closing the canopies, and populating the cockpit with figures, so uber-detailing the cockpit would be moot. Looking forward to more updates!

Lee

INTAKES FINISHED!!

(Cue the chorus from Handel's messiah....)

DSCF0801.jpg

'Bout freeakin' time!! This was the biggest PITA in my build so far, but some of it was self-inflicted- Live and learn!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Edit; The gloppy looking things in the corners are reflections in the gloss white paint- no way would i leave them if they were what they appear to be-

Edited by Lee White

• 3 weeks later...